Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reds June 2023 thread
Didn't go down without a fight. Freakin Ashcraft giving up 3 runs in that inning where he got the first 2 out.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
On the plus side the Brewers lost too.
Reply/Quote
Damn. Hats off, great run. Fun times in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
Well it had to end some time. At least they went down fighting
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Come back and Win the Series against Atlanta on Sunday.....Brewers lost, Reds still in First Place
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Who in the heck pitches tomorrow?
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 12:07 AM)samhain Wrote: Who in the heck pitches tomorrow?

Still TBD. Might have to bring someone up from the minors.
Reply/Quote
If they're serious about being good this year, they NEED to add at least two competent starters.

Abbott and Green are the only competent starters they have right now. Lively started good, but he's had a 6.17 ERA over his last 4 starts and now he's on the IL. Ashcraft has allowed 47 runs over his last 8 starts/33 innings and needs to be sent to AAA to work on whatever the heck is going on with him. Weaver needed to be DFA'd awhile ago as he's on his 2nd straight year of ERA >6.50 and 3rd in the last 4 years. Their starters are currently 28th in ERA, and 0.93 worse than 26th, so a pretty huge gap.

Winning is fun, and paying a couple prospects now to keep winning is the move to make with all the young exciting talent on offense. Games won now count just as much as games won in September.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 01:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If they're serious about being good this year, they NEED to add at least two competent starters.

Abbott and Green are the only competent starters they have right now. Lively started good, but he's had a 6.17 ERA over his last 4 starts and now he's on the IL. Ashcraft has allowed 47 runs over his last 8 starts/33 innings and needs to be sent to AAA to work on whatever the heck is going on with him. Weaver needed to be DFA'd awhile ago as he's on his 2nd straight year of ERA >6.50 and 3rd in the last 4 years. Their starters are currently 28th in ERA, and 0.93 worse than 26th, so a pretty huge gap.

Winning is fun, and paying a couple prospects now to keep winning is the move to make with all the young exciting talent on offense. Games won now count just as much as games won in September.

1,000% yes

They have no chance of staying competitive with this starting staff.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 12:32 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Still TBD. Might have to bring someone up from the minors.

And the answer is Levi Stoudt. Might not be a pretty game.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 11:38 AM)cinci4life Wrote: And the answer is Levi Stoudt. Might not be a pretty game.

Oh boy!! He started a game a month or two ago and got drilled. Let's hope he's gotten better.
Reply/Quote
Geez Newman the one thing you don't want to do and you do it.
Reply/Quote
First off let me say Atlanta is one of the better offensive teams in MLB. But this series illustrates our weakness, pitching of course.

Like the LL, myself, and others have said. If they're going to try and compete this season? They're going to have to shore up the patching staff, and fast.

I'm sure we're in the bottom 1/4 of MLB in team ERA. If we want to run with the big dogs we're gonna have to get some pitching on the porch.
Reply/Quote
Reds lost game 3 to Atlanta by one run. It was a good, hard fought series.

Reds still in First Place

Reds now go on road to tough Baltimore Orioles.

Reds do have a lot of starting pitchers injured at the moment. You can't rush them back either.

It was great to see sell out crowds and hopefully next weekend before 4th of July will be GABP packed with Holiday Fans. Reds have lost money since 2020 Covid, so Reds need the GABP packed as it has been in a big way. Yes it is a sport, but it is also a business. Reds need the income finally of Fans In The Stands that they are getting.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I knew the Reds would lose a few here and there this week after the long win streak. Glad we are still in first place.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Friday night starting pitching line:
3.1 IP, 7 H, 5 ER
Saturday evening starting pitching line:
4.0 IP, 10 H, 6 ER
Sunday afternoon starting pitching line:
3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER

One was a rookie making an emergency start due to injury.
One was a 2nd year pitcher coming off of an injury who was mysteriously going through a very rough patch that does not match their rookie year or the first 6 starts of their 2nd year.
And one was Luke Weaver.

Across those three days, that's an ERA of 12.19.

Despite that, we won one game and lose two by just 1 run each.

That's insane. If we had even mildly effective starting pitching, we would have swept the best team in the NL.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 06:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: First off let me say Atlanta is one of the better offensive teams in MLB. But this series illustrates our weakness, pitching of course.

Like the LL, myself, and others have said. If they're going to try and compete this season? They're going to have to shore up the patching staff, and fast.

I'm sure we're in the bottom 1/4 of MLB in team ERA. If we want to run with the big dogs we're gonna have to get some pitching on the porch.

I've said all along, and or years actually, that this team might have a solid regular season but can't compete with the big dogs because of pitching. 

Atlanta is good offensively but that was pathetic. It was like we were throwing them batting practice. 

Like I've said, it's been fun to watch because the pitch clock speeds it up and because the Reds are good, but some games are painful to sit through.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 09:55 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Friday night starting pitching line:
3.1 IP, 7 H, 5 ER
Saturday evening starting pitching line:
4.0 IP, 10 H, 6 ER
Sunday afternoon starting pitching line:
3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER

One was a rookie making an emergency start due to injury.
One was a 2nd year pitcher coming off of an injury who was mysteriously going through a very rough patch that does not match their rookie year or the first 6 starts of their 2nd year.
And one was Luke Weaver.

Across those three days, that's an ERA of 12.19.

Despite that, we won one game and lose two by just 1 run each.

That's insane. If we had even mildly effective starting pitching, we would have swept the best team in the NL.

Yep, or at least won the series.

Our pitching staff consists of:

Greene - on IL who knows when he's coming back?

Abbott - who's been a breath of fresh air.

Ashcraft - who has been stinking the place up over like his last 7 starts 

And a mixture of ad hoc crap.

Weaver needs to go, he's part of the problem, not the solution. I agree with LL Ashcraft needs sent back to minors until like after All Star break. Get him a couple easy relaxed starts with no pressure and let him work on his issues.

Lodolo, who showed some promise, isn't going to be back until sometime in August. And who knows if he'll be effective? Overton, who has flashed a little bit of good is also on 60 day IL. Haven't heard anything about him?

Bell said Stoudt is good, and perhaps one day he will be? But he's not there yet and there's no sense in keep sending him out there getting curb stomped.

We have to hope Williamson can hold the fort down tonight.

But for this to have any kind of a chance competing this season they've got to trade for at least get one quality starter, and really probably two.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 12:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, or at least won the series.

Our pitching staff consists of:

Greene - on IL who knows when he's coming back?

Abbott - who's been a breath of fresh air.

Ashcraft - who has been stinking the place up over like his last 7 starts 

And a mixture of ad hoc crap.

Weaver needs to go, he's part of the problem, not the solution. I agree with LL Ashcraft needs sent back to minors until like after All Star break. Get him a couple easy relaxed starts with no pressure and let him work on his issues.

Lodolo, who showed some promise, isn't going to be back until sometime in August. And who knows if he'll be effective? Overton, who has flashed a little bit of good is also on 60 day IL. Haven't heard anything about him?

Bell said Stoudt is good, and perhaps one day he will be? But he's not there yet and there's no sense in keep sending him out there getting curb stomped.

We have to hope Williamson can hold the fort down tonight.

But for this to have any kind of a chance competing this season they've got to trade for at least get one quality starter, and really probably two.

To be perfectly fair to Stoudt, he had one bad inning that got him pulled and, in that inning, Fraley sold out to try and catch a fly ball that ended up being a triple.

Having a guy on 3rd base with 0 outs is the best possible way to make a pitcher approach an at bat 100% differently because now they are completely unable to allow a fly ball, otherwise the guy on 3rd scores (which he ended up allowing).

He showed he has the stuff to get these guys out in the first two inning. He got 2 strikeouts, 3 ground outs and a pop out. He only gave up a single and an error let another man on base.

All three of his walks were on 3-2 counts so it's not like he was all over the place even at his worst. This was not a Ricky Karcher situation Tongue

It looked to me like they were planning on pulling Stoudt after the third anyway, since they called up Wynne prior to the game. Stoudt was only at 71 pitches and could have gone another inning, but it seems to me like the plan was always to have Stoudt and Wynne split the starter innings.

I think there's a starting pitcher in there. The Reds just need to coach it out of him.

I hope they give him another chance in next Saturday's game against San Diego.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 12:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: To be perfectly fair to Stoudt, he had one bad inning that got him pulled and, in that inning, Fraley sold out to try and catch a fly ball that ended up being a triple.

Having a guy on 3rd base with 0 outs is the best possible way to make a pitcher approach an at bat 100% differently because now they are completely unable to allow a fly ball, otherwise the guy on 3rd scores (which he ended up allowing).

He showed he has the stuff to get these guys out in the first two inning. He got 2 strikeouts, 3 ground outs and a pop out. He only gave up a single and an error let another man on base.

All three of his walks were on 3-2 counts so it's not like he was all over the place even at his worst. This was not a Ricky Karcher situation Tongue

It looked to me like they were planning on pulling Stoudt after the third anyway, since they called up Wynne prior to the game. Stoudt was only at 71 pitches and could have gone another inning, but it seems to me like the plan was always to have Stoudt and Wynne split the starter innings.

I think there's a starting pitcher in there. The Reds just need to coach it out of him.

I hope they give him another chance in next Saturday's game against San Diego.

Yes perhaps I was a little hard on Stoudt? But I'd just love to see this team have at least average starting pitching. Just give them a chance. 

I know they're probably a year away in all reality. But dang! It sucks when you've got a good team otherwise and one horribly bad part dragging the rest down.
Reply/Quote