Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2024 thread
(05-07-2024, 12:22 PM)kevin Wrote: No credit on these boards for how good Baltimore Orioles are.   They are good.  I've said before, be glad Reds do not play in AL East, because Orioles, Rays, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees would clobber them each year.  Be glad Reds are in NL Central.

Reds won 16 games in April, which is very good.  May off to rough start against good Baltimore team.  Baltimore is over with.  Don't give up on Reds just yet.  Reds had a good April, and it's too early to give up on May.

Don't forget, the other NL Central teams will get clobbered by some of these teams Reds are playing.  Baltimore would beat any team in NL Central. Losses are coming to the rest of the NL Central also, so don't count Reds out just yet.

Kevin if we get swept by every "good team" we play we're umm not very good, especially at home.

Fact is this team has fell flat on it's face on offense!! We were of course just embarrassed by the Orioles, at home. We've now lost eight of the last ten, including five straight. We're 4-9 since sweeping the Angels back in April.

We're now 4 games out of 1st place and 2 games under .500 We can't keep digging a hole with 7 games vs. Dodgers (Good Team) over next couple of weeks. It's going to be hard to make up such a big deficit for such a young team.

They have to figure out their batting problems, NOW
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Friedl is back and in the line up, Thompson and Martini are down and Conner Capel, who is hitting .267/.397/.567/.964 in AAA, is up. He profiles as a high contact player with almost as many walks (20) as strikeouts (21), which is good for a 16.4% BB rate and 17.2% K rate, which would be considered an average or slightly above average (as in good) K rate, but an excellent walk rate in the majors. He seems to have decent power too, with 7 HR and 8 doubles in 97 ABs. I'm obviously not expecting him to continue putting these numbers up in the majors, especially since he'll be a very minor role overall as a back up OF, but whatever he provides can't be much worse than what Martini and Thompson provided at the plate (.177/.200/.329/.529 and .111/.111/.167/.278, respectively).
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 03:38 PM)CJD Wrote:

Friedl is back and in the line up, Thompson and Martini are down and Conner Capel, who is hitting .267/.397/.567/.964 in AAA, is up. He profiles as a high contact player with almost as many walks (20) as strikeouts (21), which is good for a 16.4% BB rate and 17.2% K rate, which would be considered an average or slightly above average (as in good) K rate, but an excellent walk rate in the majors. He seems to have decent power too, with 7 HR and 8 doubles in 97 ABs. I'm obviously not expecting him to continue putting these numbers up in the majors, especially since he'll be a very minor role overall as a back up OF, but whatever he provides can't be much worse than what Martini and Thompson provided at the plate (.177/.200/.329/.529 and .111/.111/.167/.278, respectively).

SWEET !

This offense needs a big shot in the arm.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 03:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: SWEET !

This offense needs a big shot in the arm.

They sent Moll and his 0.00 ERA (0.800 WHIP) down, though. Guy's given up 2 runs in 29.2 innings (0.61 ERA, 0.944 WHIP) as a Red over the last two seasons and they sent him to AAA while we have 3 guys in our bullpen with an ERA North of 5.90.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why in the hell did Montas not go home with that ball? He would have been out by 3 steps !!
Reply/Quote
Geeezz ..... same shit different game
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 08:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Geeezz ..... same shit different game

1 hit thru 5, same thing, just a different game. With no end in sight. This team is destined to finish last in batting average and strike outs. 

This team will finish last in the division again.
Reply/Quote
When was the last time the reds finished in the middle of the pack in batting average? Seems like forever.
Reply/Quote
Watching the Reds play is like watching the beer softball league play a game. No fans, and the ones there don’t care
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 09:07 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Watching the Reds play is like watching the beer softball league play a game. No fans, and the ones there don’t care

But Phil thinks the fans have nowhere else to go…

Reply/Quote
[Image: 72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-du...e.w400.gif]

Reply/Quote
Think I’d rather watch paint dry then watch the Reds.

You couldn’t put a team this bad together, even if you tried. Our scouts and people making the player choices suck. How could they possible be this bad and picking players.

This looks like a little league team.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: 72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-du...e.w400.gif]

Perfect description of this offense right now.
Reply/Quote
I really wish they'd send Candelario packing. The guy is worthless at the plate.
Reply/Quote
So do we think Elly will be a future Yankee or a Dodger?

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 10:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So do we think Elly will be a future Yankee or a Dodger?

I'm going to say Dodger. After he watches them sweep us in all seven games over next couple weeks he'll be like "yep. I'm heading there next"
Reply/Quote
On to football.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Bell, IMHO, has got to do something to shake this lineup awake at the plate. The like 5 guys batting under .200, sit their ass on the bench for a couple games. Can it get any worse??

Quit worrying about the left/right analytics and put the guys in that are actually hitting, a bit. Put Steer batting 3rd, Elly batting cleanup, Farley batting 5th. Play the rookie, Capel and don't worry about the opposing pitcher. Do something Bell.

Hopefully Friedl will get on his horse soon and spark the top of lineup.

Over the last five games we have like 6 runs? And not too many more hits. It's pathetic!!
Reply/Quote
I'm not FREAKING out freaking out yet, as the season is only a little over a month old and they COULD put together a hot month or two to stay in it, but man it's getting bleaker by the day when they're hitting like this. Even with Friedl back, I don't expect him to just start smoking MLB pitching right outta the gate, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit of he also caught whatever offensive flu the rest of the clubhouse has came down with. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit!

Summer is right around the corner, here's to hoping they get this worked out before they're out of it by the ASB!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 11:45 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I'm not FREAKING out freaking out yet, as the season is only a little over a month old and they COULD put together a hot month or two to stay in it, but man it's getting bleaker by the day when they're hitting like this. Even with Friedl back, I don't expect him to just start smoking MLB pitching right outta the gate, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit of he also caught whatever offensive flu the rest of the clubhouse has came down with. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit!

Summer is right around the corner, here's to hoping they get this worked out before they're out of it by the ASB!

Oh I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Like you say this season isn't even 1/4 the way thru yet. But my champagne wishes, and caviar dreams have cooled a bit.

I get it, this team is still pretty young. There's going to be ups a downs. There's going to be waves in the ocean. It's a hell of a long season! But they're now (besides an inning here and there) in a 14 game "TEAM SLUMP" of near epic proportions.

You could send 9 guys up there blindfolded and they'd hit for a higher average.  Ninja

Bell needs to manage and not stare at computer stats. Put on some hit and runs, run and hits, suicide squeeze, have guys steal that aren't great at it, bunt more and so on. Anything to get this offense out of it's funk.
Reply/Quote