Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of August Games Thread
(08-29-2019, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Morgan does not get enough credit for one of the best 5 year runs in history.  From '72 through '76 Morgan had the highest Offensive WAR in baseball every single year.  Over that span he also

-finished in the top 10 in MVP voting every year and in the top 4 four times.

-had a .303 batting average.

-drew the most walks in the majors.

-had the highest on base percentage in the majors. (24 points better than second place Rod Carew)

-stole the second most bases (behind Lou Brock).  Was top 3 in the NL in stolen bases every year.

-scored the second most runs (9 fewer than Pete Rose).

-was also a power hitter with the 4th highest slugging percentage in the majors (just 1 point lower than Mike Schmidt and 7 points lower than Reggie Jackson).  

-had the highest OPS in the majors (4 points better than Willie Stargill).

-won 4 gold gloves.

-In his '76 MVP season he led the NL in slugging percentage, on base percentage, and OPS. Finished 2nd in stolen bases, RBI, walks, and runs scored.  Finished 5th in home runs.  Won a gold glove.  One of the greatest all around seasons in baseball history.

Thanks for posting those stats... awesome!
Reply/Quote
The Punisher hits #14!!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 08:19 PM)cinci4life Wrote: The Punisher hits #14!!!!

Unreal
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 08:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Unreal

Counting the minors, that’s Homerun #42 this year for this dude. He reminds me of George Foster.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably Mahle.

Maybe Gausman.

Just saw on Reds.com that it will indeed be Mahle starting the second game of the double header.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 08:19 PM)cinci4life Wrote: The Punisher hits #14!!!!

Aquino now has 14 homers. Closing in on 15.  Can he hit 20 is such a short season for him ?

No Homer for Suarez tonight. 

The Homer Watch on Both continues. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Iggy loses another for the Reds. Reds need new closer for real. Fey opined that the Reds may not keep Iggy (SS) and start Galvis at SS and JVM at 2nd. I still have hopes the Reds sign a closer and bring back Puig.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 01:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I guessed Foster, Bench, Perez, Klu and Dunn. I forgot about Vaughn and JR and didn’t know about Post. Did you guys know that Morgan had like 5 or 6 years in a row that topped Votto’s best WAR season? Morgan was very good in his prime.

(08-29-2019, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Morgan does not get enough credit for one of the best 5 year runs in history.  From '72 through '76 Morgan had the highest Offensive WAR in baseball every single year.  Over that span he also

In his '76 MVP season he led the NL in slugging percentage, on base percentage, and OPS. Finished 2nd in stolen bases, RBI, walks, and runs scored.  Finished 5th in home runs.  Won a gold glove.  One of the greatest all around seasons in baseball history.

During one of the rain delays month or so ago they were playing that Johnny Bench interview and they asked him who was the best player he ever seen play ? And without hesitation he said Joe Morgan.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 05:21 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Iggy loses another for the Reds.  Reds need new closer for real.  Fey opined that the Reds may not keep Iggy (SS) and start Galvis at SS and JVM at 2nd.  I still have hopes the Reds sign a closer and bring back Puig.

They need a closer, couple other bull pen types. Garrett is scaring me.
Reply/Quote
Tonight's game postponed already.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Tonight's game postponed already.

Cardinals are afraid of the Punisher.   Panic
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Just saw they are playing a double header on Sunday now too. 2 straight days of double headers.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 09:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Tonight's game postponed already.

I blame Bell.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 10:30 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Just saw they are playing a double header on Sunday now too. 2 straight days of double headers.

Bauer then Gray then Mahle then Castillo....and Reds with no days off coming so Disco & Wood but who else Mon, Tues, Wed.  Sims maybe ?  Stephenson ? 

4 game starts in 30 hours is different.  Still, it is Reds against 1st place Cardinals. Fans may have quit, but the players and coaches can't quit.  So Reds have to try to win 3 of 4 games in 33 hours time. 

If any of these go extra innings, Yikes.   If more than 1 goes extra innings, Oy Vey. 

The Reds will sleep well tonight. Go to park all day and night. Go to motel & eat and sleep. Wake up and go to park all day and night. Then quickly to airport to fly to Cincy and to bed. Wake up and play afternoon game with Philly. The is putting the Labor in Labor Day Weekend for Reds.

Starters will be counted on to go as long as they can because you can not use the same bullpen pitchers 5 games in 48 hours. If a starter gets roughed up. he may have to stay on mound and take one for the team.

They do not need any dugout clearing brawls making these games go longer and players tossed out of games.

Anybody on here who watches every inning of 5 Reds games in 48 hours deserves Reds Fan Of Year. I can't even imagine doing it. Not even when I was a kid. Kirk Douglas Day on TCM including Spartacus will be my remote options Saturday. I do not plan to watch Ohio State play opening day push over Florida Atlantic, a real garbage match up that big schools schedule for easy wins
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
What’s Bauer gonna make next year, 18 million? It almost looks like we got Homer Bailey back.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:01 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What’s Bauer gonna make next year, 18 million? It almost looks like we got Homer Bailey back.

Bauer has torn ligaments in his ankle and is playing through the season, at least that is his story.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
VanMeter with a first pitch leadoff homer!
Reply/Quote
Votto finally showing some power. Solo homer to dead center!
Reply/Quote
Sonny Gray may well be our best pitcher. For sure he has been over 2nd half of season.

And VanMeter is having a rough time playing LF tonight. Hope he can get that under control.
Reply/Quote
Iglesias blows another one and likely the game. Un freakin real.
Reply/Quote