Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of August Games Thread
(08-28-2019, 02:47 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: So I wonder who will be the starter in the late game on Saturday?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/cin
Listed as open . . . do they call up a starter from the minors(Mahle? He should be past the 10 day window) or do they try to pull off a "bullpen game" in the middle of a long stretch with no days off, 18 games in 17 days. In the beginning of three straight 4 game series (Marlins, Cardinals, Phillies).

Probably Mahle.

Maybe Gausman.
Reply/Quote
The Punisher strikes again!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably Mahle.

Maybe Gausman.

I'd say Sims or Gausman
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Suarez homers for the 4th straight game and 38 for the year.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Throwing a little love to Disco. He’s now 9-7 with a 4.05 ERA, which is solid number 4 numbers. He’s pitched 18 Innings and given up 2 Earned Runs in his last 3 starts. I’m comfortable with him as one of the starting five. He can be scary with the Home Runs but everyone is giving it up with these juiced balls.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 10:30 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Suarez homers for the 4th straight game and 38 for the year.

Right

Suarez hits #38 nearing 40 still in August.  Can he get to 45 or more ?

Aquino hits #13 nearing 15 in his short time up from minors.  Can he get to 20 ?

The Watch Is On. 

I bet if you add up Aquino, Puig and others who have started in RF, it adds up to a lot of homes from Reds right fielders.

Reds had no problems with 3rd and RF.  Iggey at SS was also hitting when nobody else was, solid all season & slick with the glove. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
There are only 5 Reds out of 1895 players with at least one PA that has hit 40 HR in a season...
Can anyone name them without cheating via google or search?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'll take a stab at a few of them:

Johnny Bench
Eric Davis
Adam Dunn
Jay Bruce

I'm probably missing someone from the Sixties and earlier, but I didn't come along until the Seventies.

EDIT: Now that my guesses are on record, I looked it up. I had a couple right and I should have gone with my instincts on a third.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 06:37 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are only 5 Reds out of 1895 players with at least one PA that has hit 40 HR in a season...

George Foster
Johnny Bench
Adam Dunn
Eric Davis
Tony Perez
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 09:41 AM)Earendil Wrote: I'll take a stab at a few of them:

Johnny Bench
Eric Davis
Adam Dunn
Jay Bruce

I'm probably missing someone from the Sixties and earlier, but I didn't come along until the Seventies.

EDIT: Now that my guesses are on record, I looked it up.  I had a couple right and I should have gone with my instincts on a third.

Pretty sure Foster hit 50 in 77 or 78 and he was last to hit 50 until old what's his name did it in early 90's

Fielder ? somein like that
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 09:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pretty sure Foster hit 50 in 77 or 78 and he was last to hit 50 until old what's his name did it in early 90's

Yeah, he's the one I should have gone with my instincts on.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 06:37 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are only 5 Reds out of 1895 players with at least one PA that has hit 40 HR in a season...

Dunn
Foster
Perez
Bench
Robinson
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunn
Foster
Perez
Bench
Robinson

I looked to see if I was correct and saw that Robinson never hit 40.

But I also saw a lot of other guys who did

Ted Kluszewski ('53, '54, '55)
Wally Post ('55)
Ken Griffey Jr. ('00)
And how could anyone forget Greg Vaugh who hit 45 in 1999.

So that makes 8 instead of just 5.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I looked to see if I was correct and saw that Robinson never hit 40.

Wally Post ('55)
Ken Griffey Jr. ('00)

Griffey  Jr. I should have got damn ! Oh Vaugh I forgot about he had a hell of a season. Kluszewski and Post were well before my time.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 09:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pretty sure Foster hit 50 in 77 or 78 and he was last to hit 50 until old what's his name did it in early 90's

Big Cecil! Damn I loved watching him CRUSH balls in the cavernous Tiger Stadium. He may have been the last one to hit one completely out of it. The Tigers have been my AL team since Sparky went there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 11:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote:  Oh Vaugh I forgot about he had a hell of a season. 

I did not follow the Reds that closely for a while, but I don't remember ever not at least knowing who was on the team and having a big year.  However I honestly have no recollection of Vaugh playing for the Reds.  Let alone finishing 4th in the NL MVP voting for a team that made the postseason.

Weird.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I looked to see if I was correct and saw that Robinson never hit 40.

Wally Post ('55)
Ken Griffey Jr. ('00)

I guessed Foster, Bench, Perez, Klu and Dunn. I forgot about Vaughn and JR and didn’t know about Post. Did you guys know that Morgan had like 5 or 6 years in a row that topped Votto’s best WAR season? Morgan was very good in his prime.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 01:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Morgan was very good in his prime.

Morgan does not get enough credit for one of the best 5 year runs in history.  From '72 through '76 Morgan had the highest Offensive WAR in baseball every single year.  Over that span he also

-finished in the top 10 in MVP voting every year and in the top 4 four times.

-had a .303 batting average.

-drew the most walks in the majors.

-had the highest on base percentage in the majors. (24 points better than second place Rod Carew)

-stole the second most bases (behind Lou Brock).  Was top 3 in the NL in stolen bases every year.

-scored the second most runs (9 fewer than Pete Rose).

-was also a power hitter with the 4th highest slugging percentage in the majors (just 1 point lower than Mike Schmidt and 7 points lower than Reggie Jackson).  

-had the highest OPS in the majors (4 points better than Willie Stargill).

-won 4 gold gloves.

-In his '76 MVP season he led the NL in slugging percentage, on base percentage, and OPS. Finished 2nd in stolen bases, RBI, walks, and runs scored.  Finished 5th in home runs.  Won a gold glove.  One of the greatest all around seasons in baseball history.
Reply/Quote
Answer

Foster
Vaughn
Klu
Bench
Dunn
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I remember Vaughn was the enforcing on the team. Players were actually scared of him.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote