Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds NEED a New Good Manager ASAP
(10-10-2018, 08:59 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think that well is dried up tho. Solid SP who throw 200+ innings are rare anymore. Like, really rare. A total of 13 pitchers threw for 200+ innings this year, lowest in a long time. 

It sure seems that way !

A couple nights ago I was half watching a LDS game I forget who ? But something sparked my memory on Don Gullett. He had a career 3.11 ERA. I don't remember the stats exactly so these are guesstimates, something like averaged 7 CG a season, 3 or 4 of his seasons were over 200 innings.  I think a ouple were over 225. What the hell happened ?

What's an average innings now like 130 ? And if you look back at these guys Gullett is by no means alone in career ERA with a ton of more innings pitched than the guys of today.

Are the balls juiced that much ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It sure seems that way !

A couple nights ago I was half watching a LDS game I forget who ? But something sparked my memory on Don Gullett. He had a career 3.11 ERA. I don't remember the stats exactly so these are guesstimates, something like averaged 7 CG a season, 3 or 4 of his seasons were over 200 innings.  I think a ouple were over 225. What the hell happened ?

What's an average innings now like 130 ? And if you look back at these guys Gullett is by no means alone in career ERA with a ton of more innings pitched than the guys of today.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2018-starter-pitching.shtml

Roughly 5.4 innings per starter pitcher average, which averages out to around 162 or so for the year. TBF, pitchers are throwing a lot harder, which means their arms are giving in faster. Probably a good portion of the problem, along with how baseball in general takes a backseat to some of the other more popular sports, so probably don't get the best athletes. Hard to say with certainty. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It sure seems that way !

I watched a Netflix documentary about this and it was awesome. There's some small merit to how the baseball has changed over the years, making it slightly easier to travel further. And it does make sense, since most common fans would rather see a 7-6 game vs a 2-1 game. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:35 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I watched a Netflix documentary about this and it was awesome. There's  some small merit to how the baseball has changed over the years, making it slightly easier to travel further. And it does make sense, since most common fans would rather see a 7-6 game vs a 2-1 game. 

Yes sir,

Small ball has all but disappeared. The HR records keep getting broke every season and that's what people wanna see. Like everything else the specialness of the HR has been diluted. There's guys hitting 40 every year whom wouldn't have hit 20 back in the day.
Reply/Quote
Add Rocco Balldelli to this list:

“The Reds have certainly made the selection process expansive, having already interviewed Riggleman, former Red Sox manager John Farrell, former Yankees manager Joe Girardi, Giants vice president of player development David Bell, former Tigers manager Brad Ausmus, Giants bench coach Hensley Meulens, Rays bench coach Charlie Montoyo, Pirates bench coach Tom Prince and Reds coaches Pat Kelly, Billy Hatcher and Freddie Benavides.”

That’s suppose to be it. The next manager is coming from that group. My top 3 choices would be Bell, Prince or Baldelli.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 10:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes sir,

Small ball has all but disappeared. The HR records keep getting broke every season and that's what people wanna see. Like everything else the specialness of the HR has been diluted. There's guys hitting 40 every year whom wouldn't have hit 20 back in the day.

This.  The guys at the top of the HR list are not breaking records, but there are a lot more guys hitting 30+ HR.  It is because strike outs don't matter anymore.  Everyone is going to an uppercut swing that generates more Home runs but also more strike outs.

It used to be that 100 strikeouts was considered a lot, but this year 153 MLB players had at least 100 strike outs.  No ML player had struck out more than 200 times in a season until 2008.  Since then it has happened 12 times with 3 different players having over 200 strike outs this year.

In 1988 only 5 players hit 30 HRs, and only 4 players struck out 150 times

In 2018 27 players hit 30 HRs, and 28 players struck out 150 times
Reply/Quote
Reports are the team is down to final 3 or at least only 3 have been confirmed for second interviews. It’s down to Girardi, Ausmus and Bell. I’m pulling for Bell.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 07:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Reports are the team is down to final 3 or at least only 3 have been confirmed for second interviews. It’s down to Girardi, Ausmus and Bell. I’m pulling for Bell.

So weird to see Ausmus still there, and they took Rocco off the list. That was my guy after reading up on him. Maybe he’ll take bench coach. Bell is a 1B for me I’d love it still
Reply/Quote
Getting closer everyday. Very good news, Girardi is out and Bell is the front runner, meaning no Riggleman return either.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joe-girardi-pulls-out-of-reds-manager-search/c-299341724
Reply/Quote
I've heard that Bell has the job. They're just waiting to announce it. 4 year contract. I've heard good and bad about him. Has a decent combination of outside and inside organization experience. Was well below 500 as a manager in the Reds minor league system. Still, he was a desired commodity by other teams in need.

I kind of wanted Rocco Baldelli or Hensley Muelens. Both are guys who've been groomed for awhile with very good reputations for analytical approaches to the game.

If Bell gets a shot at picking his own staff, then I'm definitely down with the hire. If it's Bell with Darwin and Riggleman coming back as pitching and bench coach, then piss on it. At that point Bell is just another monkey-boy for the shitbag nepotism-heavy front office/ownership that has screwed this team up for the last half-decade.
Reply/Quote
Any new high profile manager candidate should want more than just day to day on field responsibilities and if the team wants to land a great one they'll have to give it to them. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 12:54 AM)grampahol Wrote: Any new high profile manager candidate should want more than just day to day on field responsibilities and if the team wants to land a great one they'll have to give it to them. 

I don't think anybody does that in baseball, do they?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It's official.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-select-david-bell-as-teams-new-manager/c-299427658
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 12:22 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's official.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-select-david-bell-as-teams-new-manager/c-299427658

Well, I guess we'll see if he can win without a pitching staff.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only player we have worth trading for is Gennett.  The only minor league prospect we have ready to step up is Senzel who can play 2nd.

If we trade Hamilton we have no outfielders ready to step up.  Phil Ervin will be 26 next season, so it is unlikely that he is going to make and dramatic improvement.  Same for Mason Williams who will be 27.

I watched Trammell play and he is the real deal.  I don't know if he is ready to step into the Big League yet but he sure looks the part.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I watched Trammell play and he is the real deal.  I don't know if he is ready to step into the Big League yet but he sure looks the part.

He’s going to be a great Hamilton replacement, but my guess is he’s still a season away. I’m not too excited about 2019, but the 3 prospects that could be showing up in 2020, Trammell, Santillan and Greene, have me very excited for 2020.

Now, if the team decides to go for it in 2019, likely they’ll have to trade a couple of those guys for an ace.
Reply/Quote
Certainly is a popular name that could influence ticket sales. I wish him luck.

Now that this is over, time to work on what the roster will look like.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Certainly is a popular name that could influence ticket sales.  I wish him luck.

Now that this is over, time to work on what the roster will look like.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction on the roster.  The lineup will be strong, the bullpen will be decent and there will not be nearly enough starting pitching.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 02:01 PM)McC Wrote: I'm gonna make a bold prediction on the roster.  The lineup will be strong, the bullpen will be decent and there will not be nearly enough starting pitching.

If Homer Bailey is back on the starting pitching staff next season it's going to put a serious damper on my fandom and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Do the right thing Castallini and get rid of him and show the fans you really do want to build a winner.
Reply/Quote
I agree Homer needs to go. Heck, the one armed fugitive has as many arms as Homer had wins this year. I don't think any team will consider taking him even if the Reds pay his salary. Maybe David Bell will ring up some wins.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote