Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September Game Thread
Welp loss 100 is a given now. They are down 13-2 in the 7th.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Graham Ashcraft had an absolutely brutal ending to his season.
In his final 3 games coming off of injury (he was out for the end of August and the majority of September) Ashcraft's line was:
12 IP, 18 H, 17 R, 16 ER, 2 HR, 7 BB, 7 K, 12.00 ERA, 2.08 WHIP, 0 QS

I think he was obviously still recovering from his injury, because in his 4 August starts that preceded these three games, his line was:
27 IP, 24 H, 9 R, 7 ER, 2 HR, 6 BB, 18 K, 2.33 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 3 QS (his 4th game was one out from qualifying for a QS).

With an off season to recover and more time to develop in the winter, I expect the latter line to be closer to Ashcraft's true ability rather than the former.

With Ashcraft, Greene and Lodolo, we have a starting trio that will be around for at least 5 more years (unless we choose to trade any of them) and has the potential to be one of the best in the league.

I think we have a pretty good option for a #4 or #5 in Luis Cessa based on the way he ended this season and I think we have some intriguing prospects coming up in the relative near future like Brandon Williamson and Chase Petty who may fill in that final rotation spot by mid season next year. Justin Dunn and Connor Overton also have a chance to fill that slot, but I wasn't too impressed with Dunn this season, granted he was coming off an injury. Finally, a few long-ish shots in Levi Stoudt and Andrew Abbott. Both could end up being relievers rather than starters but they've been starters in the minors, so I would assume that's where they'd start in the majors when they end up making it.

I hope we go out and sign a good veteran (not a bad veteran like Minor or Anderson), someone like Wade Miley perhaps (so stupid that we let him walk and then traded for Minor...)

Overall, there is a lot to like about this rotation and the potential (in addition to the results already) it has. If we can get our offense on track with a healthy Stephenson, a fully health India (he worked through a lot of injuries this year), a healthy Votto, continued progression from players like Friedl and Steer and a few breakout rookie performances from Elly De La Cruz and/or Noelvi Marte, we should be able to make some progress next year. I don't think we'll compete for the playoffs, but just being a competent team would be enjoyable to watch after having to live through this season haha!
Reply/Quote
Reds attendance was just shy of 1.4 million vs the almost 1.8 million they drew last year. Given the start they had and being out of it early, that is not surprising. David Bell is signed for 1 more year thru 2023.

2023 will likely be the last year of Votto and Moose. Both have buyouts in 2024.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-fire-5-coaches-after-100-loss-season

Reds keep Bell for his final year but do a slight shake up with other coaches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote