Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds September Games Thread
(10-04-2023, 09:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Getting 1 proven SP is a good chance of happening, I think. At least when it comes to having the budget for it.
I think a 2nd proven SP who is mid-late rotation is also a possibility, but I don't think it's as likely.

I'm legit calling Sonny Gray this offseason to come back.
Maybe also Lorenzen.
Gray shouldn't cost more than $15 mill APY, Lorenzen $10 mill or less.
Reds could get two new SPs into the rotation for under $30 mill, possibly under $25 mill.
Would still have plenty to put toward relievers and another bat or two.

I'm in on that

I just can't pay out enough trust rope that the staff we have now can hang for a full 6 months of starting. We have to have a couple (at least) and three would be better of guys that can have regular 6 or 7 inning outings. These steady 3.2 4.1, 4.2, 5.0 innings pitched adds up to a burnt up bullpen. 

You can always put Phillips and whoever? Williamson? in the bullpen as long relief. Please, please get us some pitching to give us a chance.

How long will it be before CES, DLC, Marte, Abbott and so on are Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Astros?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm in on that

I just can't pay out enough trust rope that the staff we have now can hang for a full 6 months of starting. We have to have a couple (at least) and three would be better of guys that can have regular 6 or 7 inning outings. These steady 3.2 4.1, 4.2, 5.0 innings pitched adds up to a burnt up bullpen. 

You can always put Phillips and whoever? Williamson? in the bullpen as long relief. Please, please get us some pitching to give us a chance.

How long will it be before CES, DLC, Marte, Abbott and so on are Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Astros?

I'm hopeful the Reds are willing to spend now that they know they are on the cusp of competing again.

Looking at their payroll over the past few years, it's clear they saved some $$ this year.

2021 - $128 mill
2022 - $117 mill
2023 - $99.7 mill

So if the payroll after arb raises come in really gets the team to ~$40 mill, I would expect they'll still spend to get around $100 mill if not closer to $110-120 mill.

Moose's lingering contract ate up $22 mill of the 2023 payroll, and Votto occupied another $25 mill. Collectively they made up about half the total payroll.
With no Moose next year and Votto's option not picked up (expected), it should allow for A LOT to be spent to help the team.
It's no secret the pitching was gassed in Aug and especially Sept.
Even if they don't add any multi-mill hitter(s), at least get some pitching.
This team can really make noise if they can have some consistent pitching.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I can't imagine in my wildest dreams what would prompt them to bring Votto back for 20 million dollars? He's one of the all time great Reds, had a wonderful career, but it's time to go.

And I'm hoping they sink his money into pitching.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 12:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't imagine in my wildest dreams what would prompt them to bring Votto back for 20 million dollars? He's one of the all time great Reds, had a wonderful career, but it's time to go.

And I'm hoping they sink his money into pitching.

If he'd be willing to have a swan song for like $5 mill or less, I'd decline the option and bring him back at a price like that.
But that's about it.
You can't justify paying him $20 mill when you can get 1-2 good pitchers for that price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2023, 10:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If he'd be willing to have a swan song for like $5 mill or less, I'd decline the option and bring him back at a price like that.
But that's about it.
You can't justify paying him $20 mill when you can get 1-2 good pitchers for that price.

100% agree

If he'd be willing to come back at a much (huge) reduced price, hell I'd even go down to like 3 million. And agree to a much reduced role. DH once or twice a week, play 1st like couple times a month. Just to hopefully get him into another postseason.

I'm in

But you can't pay a basically bench player that hits like .215 and is slower than my grandma any kind of big money.
Reply/Quote