Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds add 2 relievers
Reds have added 2 relief pitchers this week - Emilio Pagan and now Nick Martinez.
Pagan is exclusively a RP whereas Martinez has split between SP and RP.

Pagan was signed for 2 years, $16 mill
Martinez was signed for 2 years, $26 mill with the 2nd year having an opt-out clause.

My wish list this offseason was two RPs and (at least) one SP, so we've checked my RP box.
If they can add/trade for a good SP, I think that will put the Reds really in preseason contender status.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Martinez doubles as a RP and a SP, if needed. Based on his contract, I bet they give him a shot at that 5th starting rotation spot.

His stat line as a starter was really good in 2023, too.
9 GS, 2.32 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 42.2 IP, 11 ER, 18 BB, 37 K, 62 GB, 54 FB (53% GB rate), 171 BF

Granted, it seems like a fair number of his starts were closer to "opener" starts, with 4 of his 9 starts 4 IP or less. But in those 4 games, he allowed 0 ERs.

His stat line as a reliever was good too, but not as good:
54 G, 4.12 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 67.2 IP, 31 ER, 22 BB, 69 K, 106 GB, 89 FB (54% GB rate), 290 TBF

What's more impressive is that, among his 54 relief appearances, 18 of them were for more than 1 IP, with 11 of those 19 2 IP or more (1 3 IP relief appearance, in which he gave us 0 ERs)

I think he'll do well in Cincinnati with the flexibility to start, open and relieve.
Reply/Quote
According to C. Trent Rosencrans of The Athletic, the Reds will open camp with plans to use Martinez as a starter.
Reply/Quote
Two quality additions. They desperately needed a guy like Martinez, who checks multiple boxes. Now I'm hoping for a trade for a TOR guy and maybe signing a RH platoon bat for Fraley / Benson.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 11:52 AM)Goalpost Wrote: According to C. Trent Rosencrans of The Athletic, the Reds will open camp with plans to use Martinez as a starter.

He was a decent starter in San Diego.  I'd rather have him in the pen as a long reliever, but I'm not upset if he gets a shot at starting.  He has a 1 year opt out, so he's going to be potentially pitching for even more money.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 07:44 PM)samhain Wrote: He was a decent starter in San Diego.  I'd rather have him in the pen as a long reliever, but I'm not upset if he gets a shot at starting.  He has a 1 year opt out, so he's going to be potentially pitching for even more money.

San Diego's park is huge which for a hitter can be a blessing or a curse depending on how they hit. GABP is a phone booth in comparison. Home runs are a dime a dozen in Cincinnati. Not so much in San Diego.   I hope they're good at keeping the ball out of the stands.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Martines is not a "real" starter. It appears he was only a starter in "bullpen games" where multiple relief pitchers cover the entire game. He usually pitched 4 innings or less when he started.

Still a good addition, but we still need starters.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 07:58 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: Martines is not a "real" starter.  It appears he was only a starter in "bullpen games" where multiple relief pitchers cover the entire game.  He usually pitched 4 innings or less when he started.

Still a good addition, but we still need starters.

He's perfect for the Reds rotation if he only pitches 4 innings  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Glad the Reds are shoring up pitching for next year. These guys are better than what we had so it is an improvement. I look for more pitchers to be signed.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote