Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reggie Nelson signs 2 year deal with Raiders
I'm not going to downplay what Nelson brought to the secondary just because he's no longer a Bengal. I can name many players who missed tackles. And I don't know many who viewed Williams as a cover safety or FS coming out of college and seeing him at the combine. He is a box safety, stiff hipped (if you watch his combine). I trust Iloka in coverage over Williams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 09:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not going to downplay what Nelson brought to the secondary just because he's no longer a Bengal. I can name many players who missed tackles. And I don't know many who viewed Williams as a cover safety or FS coming out of college and seeing him at the combine. He is a box safety, stiff hipped (if you watch his combine). I trust Iloka in coverage over Williams.

That is why George will be playing FS and Shawn will be playing SS.
Reply/Quote
SS is not just an "extra LB" position like it used to be.  NFL teams run so many multiple receiver formations that the "base defense" is actually only on the field for about 1/3rd of the snaps.  

The SS position requires a lot of cover skills.  Iloka has been fine in that role.  Lets just hope Williams can be also.  He had a coupls of big ints last year in his limited amount of playing time, but two plays does not define his cover skills.  Personally I am in a wait-and-see mode.

I am less concerned about Iloka's cover skills moving to FS than I am Williams playing full time at SS.
Reply/Quote
we probably offered him the same deal or something close. I guess he chose to go to the Raiders where he might see more playing time. Pretty whack if you ask me, if you were to offer me the same amount as another company but require me to work less id be all over that.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 01:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is why George will be playing FS and Shawn will be playing SS.

Wait, George is FS now? Do you know this for sure or just making assumptions....
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:33 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Wait, George is FS now? Do you know this for sure or just making assumptions....

Yeah, i am assuming. I think it is a safe assumption with George being the better cover Safety.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:33 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Wait, George is FS now? Do you know this for sure or just making assumptions....

(04-19-2016, 11:52 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i am assuming. I think it is a safe assumption with George being the better cover Safety.

You gotta remember that Marvin doesn't care for the labels of FS and SS. He prefers two safeties who can do both. Iloka and Reggie altered playing in the box and dropping deep in coverage. I fully expect Iloka and Williams to play the same exact way.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I miss him.

Another mistake of letting a good player go and now our defense is not as good.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 08:29 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Reggie Nelson has signed a 2 year deal with Raiders.

Oh welll..I actually don't care if we signed him or not. I preferred us not to, I want to see what Shawn Williams can do Big Grin

I liked Nelson AND Hall and I'm seeing a drop off in our secondary, not an improvement......Bengals went for youth.....Well, this youth better get with it....We used a lot of top draft picks on these guys so they BETTER deliver or we got the shaft in the drafts.  ...Myself, I think some late round players are out playing the top draft picks in our secondary. 

The Raiders are back....Carr is a Raiders type like Plunkett. A once big name rookie who just needs a second chance on a new team.....Nelson is a Raiders type player. A good player like Max Montoya who Bengals get rid of, but give Raiders some good years. ....The Raiders are back.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 06:01 PM)kevin Wrote: I liked Nelson AND Hall and I'm seeing a drop off in our secondary, not an improvement......Bengals went for youth.....Well, this youth better get with it....We used a lot of top draft picks on these guys so they BETTER deliver or we got the shaft in the drafts.  ...Myself, I think some late round players are out playing the top draft picks in our secondary. 

The Raiders are back....Carr is a Raiders type like Plunkett.  A once big name rookie who just needs a second chance on a new team.....Nelson is a Raiders type player.  A good player like Max Montoya who Bengals get rid of, but give Raiders some good years. ....The Raiders are back.

...Are you mixing up Derek Carr with David Carr? Because Derek Carr is 25 and has only ever been a Raider. David Carr is 37 and hasn't been in the NFL since 2012.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 08:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ...Are you mixing up Derek Carr with David Carr? Because Derek Carr is 25 and has only ever been a Raider. David Carr is 37 and hasn't been in the NFL since 2012.

Yes, I was...old guy mistake......So they have a new Carr not driving an old Carr....The new Carr has them rolling down the road.  They needed it after all the money spent on QB after QB........Bringing in Nelson is very much what Raiders have done since 1960's. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote