Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Reggie to Raiders
My favorite Steeler killer! Thank you Reggie for your outstanding play, and being a great representative for Cincinnati. Best of luck to you in Oakland!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Whatever you think of Reggie as a player .vs. the potential play of Williams and /or Derron Smith one thing we could miss is his durability.

Apart from that Ankle turn at the end of the Steelers game he only missed 3 games since 2011 - and he was always on the field. Iloka last year alone missed 4 games - though he too prior to that had two 16 game seasons.

Irrespective of their talent we would be real lucky to get that sort of availability from Williams over the next 3-4 seasons
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 12:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Why was Marvin facing Reggie in the first pic? Reggie wasn't the aggressor there. Tomlin was way out of line.

Marvin is an adult.  What did you want him to do?  Drop down to Tomlin's level and act like a punk.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 12:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lol dear God what is wrong with you today Fred? Saying Marvin was acting like Reggies girlfriend is not a joke to you? I think you are overly sensitive, and take everything way too seriously. Did I say we should fire him? Burn him at the stake? I am nothing like a racist either. You are simply out of line today.

What did you want "poor old Marvin" to do in that situation?  Punch Tomlin?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What did you want "poor old Marvin" to do in that situation?  Punch Tomlin?

Reggie and Tomlin start off with innocent handshaking.

Then Tomlin starts pointing his finger at Reggie.

Marvin walks instantly to Reggie in order to calm him down and get him to back off.

I would rather Marvin walked up to Tomlin and told him "If you have a problem with one of my players, bring it to my attention first, don't go after my player." and then calm Reggie and leave the field.

I wouldn't condone Marvin "stooping to Tomlins level" or "sucker punching him". Doesn't meant I cant have the opinion that Marvin could have handled the situation differently. You should understand that people have differing opinions on a message board right? Or do you not understand them? Whatever

Either way, all of this is stemming from your attack on my (in your opinion poor) attempt at humor.

I think you are taking on a new persona with the new picture. The gun toting monkey is getting to your head.
Reply/Quote
Reggie deserves to be in the Bengal ring of Honor and he had a great season last year but its time to move on. It will be a significant loss but a loss that will not destroy. Thanks Reggie for the years.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 12:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I hope i am right too. But his college tape don't lie and he was making great picks in TC last year.

The dude is always around the ball, this is something that just comes natural to him and is something you just can't teach.

I doubt we see much of Derron this year except on ST's or injury happens but still, he has a history of making interceptions.

And since that is what Bengal Rocker was talking about...

Thought i would mention the guy that plays the same position as Reggie.
Nobody knows much about Derron Smith since he played out on the west coast and yes he has to prove it at this level, but nobody can deny the fact that he is a player! The only game I remember seeing him in college was the Las Vegas bowl when Fresno State lost to USC, I remember the commentators saying he was the best player on the field that day. (I remembered thinking "How? Their losing) It wasn't until a few weeks ago until I started looking him up when all Reggie leaving talk started that I found out what they were talking about. He had 18 tackles and a pick 6 in that game. The 18 tackles tied Troy Polamalu for the Las Vegas Bowl record. For the season he had 87 Tackles, 7 Ints and even added 4 sacks. Was the Mountain west Defensive player of the game in the MWC Championship game.... In hindsight he probably wished he came out after his Junior year...his senior year it seems he played with some sort of Sports Hernia but he still registered 93 tackles... He had 15 career Ints, so I would agree he is a ball Hawk. We really got a steal with this one, will he develop at this level only time will tell. But I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way onto the field this year.

Shawn and George better come with their "A" game because Smith is waiting in the wings.

Derron Smith College picks for those that have not seen them:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0KF38HF2Q
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 03:59 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Nobody knows much about Derron Smith since he played out on the west coast and yes he has to prove it at this level, but nobody can deny the fact that he is a player! The only game I remember seeing him in college was the Las Vegas bowl when Fresno State lost to USC, I remember the commentators saying he was the best player on the field that day. (I remembered thinking "How? Their losing) It wasn't until a few weeks ago until I started looking him up when all Reggie leaving talk started that I found out what they were talking about. He had 18 tackles and a pick 6 in that game. The 18 tackles tied Troy Polamalu for the Las Vegas Bowl record. For the season he had 87 Tackles, 7 Ints and even added 4 sacks. Was the Mountain west Defensive player of the game in the MWC Championship game.... In hindsight he probably wished he came out after his Junior year...his senior year it seems he played with some sort of Sports Hernia but he still registered 93 tackles... He had 15 career Ints, so I would agree he is a ball Hawk. We really got a steal with this one, will he develop at this level only time will tell. But I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way onto the field this year.

Shawn and George better come with their "A" game because Smith is waiting in the wings.

Derron Smith College picks for those that have not seen them:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0KF38HF2Q

Thanks for the video. He's got great hands..did not look close to dropping one of those INT's and the pick at 3.45 particularly was plucked right out of the sky.  Has he done any kick returning because he had some great run backs in there too?
Reply/Quote
It looks like he returned punts his senior year... had a decent average but not enough to really have an opinion. He does have great hands and a nose for the ball. When he develops he is going to be special....
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 03:26 PM)J24 Wrote: Reggie deserves to be in the Bengal ring of Honor and he had a great season last year but its time to move on. It will be a significant loss but a loss that will not destroy. Thanks Reggie for the years.

agreed hopefully his career ends on a high note out their in oakland like their first division win in who knows how long
Reply/Quote
oakland has a beast of a team this year. Reg and bengals made the best decision and moved on.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Btw, what is up with the Raiders and aging safeties? Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, now Reggie Nelson? 

I guess it makes sense since they keep getting good results from them.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Wish him the best of luck in Oakland!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 03:59 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Nobody knows much about Derron Smith since he played out on the west coast and yes he has to prove it at this level, but nobody can deny the fact that he is a player! The only game I remember seeing him in college was the Las Vegas bowl when Fresno State lost to USC, I remember the commentators saying he was the best player on the field that day. (I remembered thinking "How? Their losing) It wasn't until a few weeks ago until I started looking him up when all Reggie leaving talk started that I found out what they were talking about. He had 18 tackles and a pick 6 in that game. The 18 tackles tied Troy Polamalu for the Las Vegas Bowl record. For the season he had 87 Tackles, 7 Ints and even added 4 sacks. Was the Mountain west Defensive player of the game in the MWC Championship game.... In hindsight he probably wished he came out after his Junior year...his senior year it seems he played with some sort of Sports Hernia but he still registered 93 tackles... He had 15 career Ints, so I would agree he is a ball Hawk. We really got a steal with this one, will he develop at this level only time will tell. But I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way onto the field this year.

Nice Brodude. Derron adjusts to the ball like a pro Receiver. You are right, Shawn in particular better show
up and play great cause once this guy gets time it will be hard to bench him. If one of either Shawn or George
go down due to injury the only thing i think we might lose is big hits but he did lay out a USC guy in one of
those vids. Tackling is my only question with Derron.

(04-07-2016, 04:57 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Thanks for the video. He's got great hands..did not look close to dropping one of those INT's and the pick at 3.45 particularly was plucked right out of the sky.  Has he done any kick returning because he had some great run backs in there too?

Great hands no question. Looks like Derron could be very versatile. I expect him to make a big impact this
year on ST's. He can be a Returner in a pinch and backup ballhawking Safety.

Dont' know if he can run routes but with his hands he might be able to play a little WR, who knows.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 11:57 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice Brodude. Derron adjusts to the ball like a pro Receiver. You are right, Shawn in particular better show
up and play great cause once this guy gets time it will be hard to bench him. If one of either Shawn or George
go down due to injury the only thing i think we might lose is big hits but he did lay out a USC guy in one of
those vids. Tackling is my only question with Derron.

Great hands no question. Looks like Derron could be very versatile. I expect him to make a big impact this
year on ST's. He can be a Returner in a pinch and backup ballhawking Safety.

Dont' know if he can run routes but with his hands he might be able to play a little WR, who knows.
I wasn't sure about his tackling either when there were a lot of sceptics questioning his angles and such.... but I remember Carrier saying (After the draft) that one of the things they loved about him was that he was a sure tackler. He had over 300 tackles at Fresno State over 90 his last year..... I don't know how many he missed but he sure seems to be around the ball.

Carrier on Smith:  http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/5/20/8630719/bengals-db-coach-mark-carrier-on-rookie-safety-derron-smith
Reply/Quote
Sadly my best friend is an Oakland fan so I get the honor of listening to him drone on and on about them. Luckily he lives in Ohio and I live in South Carolina so it'll be limited. At least the Reggie signing will give him something new to go on and on about for a change.. I just hope he doesn't read this thread.. Oh wait..he doesn't know my username..
Score one for the home team!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 12:33 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: I wasn't sure about his tackling either when there were a lot of sceptics questioning his angles and such.... but I remember Carrier saying (After the draft) that one of the things they loved about him was that he was a sure tackler. He had over 300 tackles at Fresno State over 90 his last year..... I don't know how many he missed but he sure seems to be around the ball.

Carrier on Smith:  http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/5/20/8630719/bengals-db-coach-mark-carrier-on-rookie-safety-derron-smith

Good stuff, liking this guy more and more. Sure tackler plus a ballhawk from hell?

I loved the pick last year and with Reggie going to Oakland this opens up a slight crack in the door for him if
Shawn underwhelms or George gets injured. In the mean time he can destroy it on ST's.
Reply/Quote
So Reggie says he was shocked at the lack of interest, but yet we offered him.. Wheres the lack of interest? You have one team saying that they like you enough to bring you back.

I think it was more of a lack to overpay for a 34 year old defensive back, then actual interest.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 05:28 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So Reggie says he was shocked at the lack of interest, but yet we offered him.. Wheres the lack of interest? You have one team saying that they like you enough to bring you back.

I think it was more of a lack to overpay for a 34 year old defensive back, then actual interest.

I don't see how it's overpaying when the guy is still producing at an extremely high level. That's why the Raiders paid him what they did.

Btw, he's 32 and turns 33 in late September. 

Honestly, when Reggie says "lack of interest" he probably just means that the Bengals didn't pursue him as hard as he thought they would. I can see why he'd be upset, but I can also see why the Bengals opted to make Iloka and Pacman the priorities. Fwiw, Pacman is older than Nelson and Corners tend to age even faster than Safeties. That said, our CB depth is weak and we had Shawn Williams ready to take over for Nelson.

So really this is a situation where we shouldn't be mad at the Bengals or Nelson. I'm sure he wanted to stay, but it just wasn't in the cards at Nelson's (very fair) market value.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 10:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't see how it's overpaying when the guy is still producing at an extremely high level. That's why the Raiders paid him what they did.

Btw, he's 32 and turns 33 in late September. 

Honestly, when Reggie says "lack of interest" he probably just means that the Bengals didn't pursue him as hard as he thought they would. I can see why he'd be upset, but I can also see why the Bengals opted to make Iloka and Pacman the priorities. Fwiw, Pacman is older than Nelson and Corners tend to age even faster than Safeties. That said, our CB depth is weak and we had Shawn Williams ready to take over for Nelson.

So really this is a situation where we shouldn't be mad at the Bengals or Nelson. I'm sure he wanted to stay, but it just wasn't in the cards at Nelson's (very fair) market value.

All true and while Adam is older than Reggie he had a few years off so he is not as beat up as his age would insinuate.
Reply/Quote