Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reid not a Bengal because he kneels.
Looks like Bengals passed on Eric Reid because he kneels during the National Anthem. Don't care either way but he could have been a nice addition.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/10/23/report-arbitrator-denies-grievance-filed-by-eric-reid-nflpa-against-bengals/23569848/
Am fine with drawing a line on kneeling personally.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Moved in 5, 4, 3,2,.....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-24-2018, 12:39 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Looks like Bengals passed on Eric Reid because he kneels during the National Anthem. Don't care either way but he could have been a nice addition.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/10/23/report-arbitrator-denies-grievance-filed-by-eric-reid-nflpa-against-bengals/23569848/

I don't care about kneeling either. MB passed on a very good safety over something that doesn't affect the game in any way, shape or form. Sure, a few people like to pretend it's disrespecting flags, whatever when it's every citizens right and some might argue their duty to do everything they can to improve our society ,but it's water under the bridge . He's in Carolina and never going to be in stripes.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

No problem with him, but in hindsight, it was a good call. Now he's starting fights pregame over the kneeling. That's pretty stupid, IMO.

"Better send those refunds..."

There was a whole thread on this in JN when it happened. I remember it wasn’t as cut and dry as it seemed at first.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-24-2018, 07:36 AM)michaelsean Wrote: There was a whole thread on this in JN when it happened. I remember it wasn’t as cut and dry as it seemed at first.

I think that it's pretty obvious that the kneeling was the deal breaker. Why else ask him about it during his visit? The Bengals will always be able to say it wasn't for the purposes of the grievance hearings and all that, but I'm sure Mike Brown always has a good internal chuckle whenever he says that.

Probably like whenever he says that he's committed to winning. LOL
From what I read Reid's issue pre-game was that the other guy had made a deal to end the protests without ever talking to the people protesting.  Basically calling him a sellout.

That said NFL teams don't seem to have a problem hiring players with all kinds of actual criminal records and bad behaviors so a silent protest, pre-game seems like a very dumb/small reason to refuse to sign a player, IMHO.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(10-24-2018, 09:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: From what I read Reid's issue pre-game was that the other guy had made a deal to end the protests without ever talking to the people protesting.  Basically calling him a sellout.

That said NFL teams don't seem to have a problem hiring players with all kinds of actual criminal records and bad behaviors so a silent protest, pre-game seems like a very dumb/small reason to refuse to sign a player, IMHO.

It is.....but so is starting a fight at the coin toss.  If you have an issue with someone, do your talking in private.  I'd have benched his ass right then. Then proceeds to get a PF later in the game with players that weren't even involved in his beef with Jenkins.  Noble cause or not, that's just dumb.  We have enough knuckleheads, don't need that shit.  I'm glad he didn't sign here, even though we could use his talents.

(I thought the deal was Jenkins' foundation profited somehow from the protest)

"That’s not to say Reid and Jenkins always saw eye-to-eye. While Reid, Kaepernick and dozens of other NFL players opted to kneel during the national anthem, Jenkins instead raised his fist in the air.

Reid took that as a sign Jenkins had the league’s best interests at heart, not the protesters’. When Jenkins asked the Players Coalition if it would consider ending its protests if the NFL donated money to causes important to coalition members, Reid hit his breaking point and left the group."

Reid comes off as an idiot here, I'm sorry. Jenkins came to a compromise, and got money funneled into needy communities as a result. Instead of just "making a statement", seems to me Jenkins literally put his money where his mouth is.

(10-24-2018, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: It is.....but so is starting a fight at the coin toss.  If you have an issue with someone, do your talking in private.  I'd have benched his ass right then. Then proceeds to get a PF later in the game with players that weren't even involved in his beef with Jenkins.  Noble cause or not, that's just dumb.  We have enough knuckleheads, don't need that shit.  I'm glad he didn't sign here, even though we could use his talents.

(I thought the deal was Jenkins' foundation profited somehow from the protest)

"That’s not to say Reid and Jenkins always saw eye-to-eye. While Reid, Kaepernick and dozens of other NFL players opted to kneel during the national anthem, Jenkins instead raised his fist in the air.

Reid took that as a sign Jenkins had the league’s best interests at heart, not the protesters’. When Jenkins asked the Players Coalition if it would consider ending its protests if the NFL donated money to causes important to coalition members, Reid hit his breaking point and left the group."

Reid comes off as an idiot here, I'm sorry.  Jenkins came to a compromise, and got money funneled into needy communities as a result.  Instead of just "making a statement", seems to me Jenkins literally put his money where his mouth is.

I'm not defending what Reid did, just adding information.  What Jenkins did was good, but if he did it with a promise to end protests without actually talking to the others that are kneeling I can understand why Reid would have an issue with that.  Not that he handled it correctly, but who knows what the exchange was on the field.
(10-24-2018, 10:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not defending what Reid did, just adding information.  What Jenkins did was good, but if he did it with a promise to end protests without actually talking to the others that are kneeling I can understand why Reid would have an issue with that.  Not that he handled it correctly, but who knows what the exchange was on the field.

I get you.....from what I've gathered about this situation, Jenkins has continued to take the high road, and Reid keeps fanning the flames.  It seems he spoke with some, but not CK or Reid....and maybe a few others.  He handled it very poorly, you're right.  That said, Jenkins was a part of the protests, vocally supported CK and Reid, and then wound up getting the league to donate to worthy causes.  I think he handled it much better, and got money to needy communities.

(10-24-2018, 11:14 AM)Wyche Wrote: I get you.....from what I've gathered about this situation, Jenkins has continued to take the high road, and Reid keeps fanning the flames.  It seems he spoke with some, but not CK or Reid....and maybe a few others.  He handled it very poorly, you're right.  That said, Jenkins was a part of the protests, vocally supported CK and Reid, and then wound up getting the league to donate to worthy causes.  I think he handled it much better, and got money to needy communities.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with what Jenkins did either.
On a similar note: The only reason Big Ben gets away with cheating is because he does kneel.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-24-2018, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: On a similar note: The only reason Big Ben gets away with cheating is because he does kneel.
On a similar note: Thank you for your service. I felt a lot safer when you were out on patrol. Ninja
Josh Norman weighs in.....and I agree with him 100%

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/josh-norman-eric-reids-comments-a-slap-in-the-face/ar-BBOUrPS

(10-24-2018, 10:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: What Jenkins did was good, but if he did it with a promise to end protests without actually talking to the others that are kneeling I can understand why Reid would have an issue with that.  Not that he handled it correctly, but who knows what the exchange was on the field.

I too can understand why Reid would have a problem in that situation, but it is hard to take his side the way he handled this.

A shouting match on the field is the WORST thing he could have done for his cause.  It makes him look irrational, and that can make his cause look bad to some people.