Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember The 2010 Pre Season?
I remember in 2010 when we acquired T.O and some other good pickups, we thought we were going to be Super Bowl contenders after the 09 season and when preseason rolled around the team looked horrible. It couldn't score a TD and everyone thought the team was playing vanilla on purpose and just working for the final 53 man roster and when the regular season started THATS when we'd see this team explode... well it imploded.

Which brings me to this year, while I think for the most part we are level headed enough not expecting this team to make a Super Bowl run, from what I've seen in preseason so far, it gives me the same feeling the '10 team did. There's a lot of issues that I don't just see magically disappearing/correcting once week 1 hits.

Its not about the Wins/Loses in preseason but how this team plays and how tight they look....and it looks like its going to be a very long season.
Reply/Quote
I don't think our issues will magically disappear either, but I just can't agree with you. I don't think the preseason can be used to gauge how well any team will do in the regular season. We can use any preseason to argue about how well the team will do. People have been bringing up the 2015 preseason when we got wrecked by the bucs then started 8-0. It just doesn't matter.
Reply/Quote
Totally agree Godfather! The scores of the games don't matter...but starter on starter we're deficient in certain areas and the 1st quarters of these games is showing it.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:11 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: I don't think our issues will magically disappear either, but I just can't agree with you. I don't think the preseason can be used to gauge how well any team will do in the regular season. We can use any preseason to argue about how well the team will do. People have been bringing up the 2015 preseason when we got wrecked by the bucs then started 8-0. It just doesn't matter.

The 2015 Bengals had a Top 3 NFL roster. Top 3. That teams only deficiencies were Center and MLB. Really complete teams.

The 2017 Bengals have a really poor offensive line. They have slow LB's. They now have injuries at Safety.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:07 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember in 2010 when we acquired T.O and some other good pickups, we thought we were going to be Super Bowl contenders after the 09 season and when preseason rolled around the team looked horrible. It couldn't score a TD and everyone thought the team was playing vanilla on purpose and just working for the final 53 man roster and when the regular season started THATS when we'd see this team explode... well it imploded.

Which brings me to this year, while I think for the most part we are level headed enough not expecting this team to make a Super Bowl run, from what I've seen in preseason so far, it gives me the same feeling the '10 team did. There's a lot of issues that I don't just see magically disappearing/correcting once week 1 hits.

Its not about the Wins/Loses in preseason but how this team plays and how tight they look....and it looks like its going to be a very long season.

2010 was almost identical to last year; great pieces all around the team, but the oline didn't play up to its ability and we were a few bounces and kicks away from having a winning record.

Preseason means little to nothing (for 9 millionth time) so I (and everybody else should too) couldn't care less about how the team performs, as it is all meaningless.

Not to outright attack you, but you are indeed one of the most (unnecessarily) negative and pessimistic people on the board, so this sentiment doesn't come as a surprise to me.

To each their own.

EDIT: Me bringing up the similarities to last year, I'm trying to state that we should always be enthusiastic about the upcoming season, regardless of the preseason; Browns fans are continually optimistic before the regular season and they rarely if ever have any talent on their roster.

The whining and complaining is tons over the top on here; we should be looking forward to the 'skins game and further developments in practices and drills, etc., but everyone is completely hung up and crapping their pants over the last game.

Get over it and move on; you'll live longer and feel better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Preseason means everything. Preseason means nothing. Preseason means everything. Preseason means nothing...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
2010 team had too many distractions with Chad and TO.

Those distractions aren't present this year.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:32 PM)corpjet Wrote: 2010 team had too many distractions with Chad and TO.

Those distractions aren't present this year.

Gah, I wrote out a nice post and now its gone Sad

Anyways, this is absolutely false; we had a masively underachieving oline, misfortune and injuries that we couldn't overcome in 2010.

Owens was having a PB-Calibre year (after 13 games), Chad was right behind him (in 13 games), Gresh and Shipley had great years receiving, defense was slightly above average and the late surge from our back-end WRs proved that we didn't need Owens or Chad anyways.

Distractions meant absolutely nothing and did nothing to affect the team, adversely. We had horrible kicking, outside of Nuge', an oline that didn't play nearly up to snuff (and Ced suffered as a result) and bad bounces and the like.

Its amazing how such small things, can ruin a season; its hard to get everything firing on all cylinders, in sync.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to outright attack you, but you are indeed one of the most (unnecessarily) negative and pessimistic people on the board, so this sentiment doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Hey fans can enjoy the sport anyway they see fit. You have your opinion of me and that's fine but, I could come back to you and say "Hey not to outright attack you but you are one of the most naive people on this board. If you expect something different to happen magically then tap your heels three times and say "I wish we could win a playoff game, I wish we could win a playoff game" But unfortunately even the wizard isn't going to make that happen the way Lewis prepares his teams year after year. 

So why do I act negative and pessimistic towards the Bengals? Simply because they've earned it. Until this organization changes, Im expecting the same thing. And hey if they do surprise me and have a great season, Im going to really enjoy the moment like a fine wine, because I know it won't last come playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hey fans can enjoy the sport anyway they see fit. You have your opinion of me and that's fine but, I could come back to you and say "Hey not to outright attack you but you are one of the most naive people on this board. If you expect something different to happen magically then tap your heels three times and say "I wish we could win a playoff game, I wish we could win a playoff game" But unfortunately even the wizard isn't going to make that happen the way Lewis prepares his teams year after year. 

So why do I act negative and pessimistic towards the Bengals? Simply because they've earned it. Until this organization changes, Im expecting the same thing. And hey if they do surprise me and have a great season, Im going to really enjoy the moment like a fine wine, because I know it won't last come playoffs.

lol but I'm not naive; you could've selected something else Wink

All I'm saying is just because you're unhappy, doesn't mean all you need to say will be negative; why even cheer for the team if you think they won't do anything?

Hope has burned many a person, but it doesn't mean that it should always be abandoned because of your outlook. Look for the positive in things and work with that.
Reply/Quote
Our defense looks slow this year I am not sure how much will change between now and the start of the season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 2010 was almost identical to last year; great pieces all around the team, but the oline didn't play up to its ability and we were a few bounces and kicks away from having a winning record.

Preseason means little to nothing (for 9 millionth time) so I (and everybody else should too) couldn't care less about how the team performs, as it is all meaningless.

Not to outright attack you, but you are indeed one of the most (unnecessarily) negative and pessimistic people on the board, so this sentiment doesn't come as a surprise to me.

To each their own.

EDIT: Me bringing up the similarities to last year, I'm trying to state that we should always be enthusiastic about the upcoming season, regardless of the preseason; Browns fans are continually optimistic before the regular season and they rarely if ever have any talent on their roster.

The whining and complaining is tons over the top on here; we should be looking forward to the 'skins game and further developments in practices and drills, etc., but everyone is completely hung up and crapping their pants over the last game.

Get over it and move on; you'll live longer and feel better.

So you're saying we should be like Browns fans? Shocked
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Some years the preseason performance can correlate to how the season goes. But other years it doesnt.

But teams like the Bengals should use preseason as a way to get better and fine tuned, as opposed to just going through the motions. I remember a few years ago, Belichick had Brady and their offense out there for like 3-4 quarters in an early preseason game because of how dreadful they were. To Belichick, it was as good as a time as any to work out some wrinkles.

All in all though, I think most coaches and other folks would rather see their team in the 3rd preseason game playing good ball as opposed to sloppy underwhelming play.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Some years the preseason performance can correlate to how the season goes. But other years it doesnt.

But teams like the Bengals should use preseason as a way to get better and fine tuned, as opposed to just going through the motions. I remember a few years ago, Belichick had Brady and their offense out there for like 3-4 quarters in an early preseason game because of how dreadful they were. To Belichick, it was as good as a time as any to work out some wrinkles.

All in all though, I think most coaches and other folks would rather see their team in the 3rd preseason game playing good ball as opposed to sloppy underwhelming play.

Yep.  The third game is the one.  While you still don't want to put too much out there on tape, you want to be tight in assignments, execution and effort.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol but I'm not naive; you could've selected something else Wink

All I'm saying is just because you're unhappy, doesn't mean all you need to say will be negative; why even cheer for the team if you think they won't do anything?

Hope has burned many a person, but it doesn't mean that it should always be abandoned because of your outlook. Look for the positive in things and work with that.

Im not unhappy, lol...Im far from it. Just because I don't have confidence in this team doesn't make me an unhappy person. Thats just silly. And no offense buddy your post seems a little naive. Let me try an example your way for a second in a season game:

"Hey Mixon played a hell of a game, 200 yards rushing but we still lost by 20.... but look at that kid run, yeah!!!!!! who wants ice cream?"
Reply/Quote
So I'm just not going to think too much about pre-season performance one way or the other.

There is evidence to support both sides.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:07 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember in 2010 when we acquired T.O and some other good pickups, we thought we were going to be Super Bowl contenders after the 09 season and when preseason rolled around the team looked horrible. It couldn't score a TD and everyone thought the team was playing vanilla on purpose and just working for the final 53 man roster and when the regular season started THATS when we'd see this team explode...   well it imploded.

Which brings me to this year, while I think for the most part we are level headed enough not expecting this team to make a Super Bowl run, from what I've seen in preseason so far, it gives me the same feeling the '10 team did. There's a lot of  issues that I don't just see magically disappearing/correcting once week 1 hits.

Don't you know that having playmakers everywhere compensates for a poor offensive line? Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 03:31 PM)GodFather Wrote: Im not unhappy, lol...Im far from it. Just because I don't have confidence in this team doesn't make me an unhappy person. Thats just silly. And no offense buddy your post seems a little naive. Let me try an example your way for a second in a season game:

"Hey Mixon played a hell of a game, 200 yards rushing but we still lost by 20.... but look at that kid run, yeah!!!!!! who wants ice cream?"

Anyone else think of this when they see someone post the word "buddy"?
[Image: 83e.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 04:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone else think of this when they see someone post the word "buddy"?
[Image: 83e.jpg]

Hey Pal! I don't know what your implying there champ? Now go out there n get em slugger! LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:07 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember in 2010 when we acquired T.O and some other good pickups, we thought we were going to be Super Bowl contenders after the 09 season and when preseason rolled around the team looked horrible. It couldn't score a TD and everyone thought the team was playing vanilla on purpose and just working for the final 53 man roster and when the regular season started THATS when we'd see this team explode...   well it imploded.

Which brings me to this year, while I think for the most part we are level headed enough not expecting this team to make a Super Bowl run, from what I've seen in preseason so far, it gives me the same feeling the '10 team did. There's a lot of  issues that I don't just see magically disappearing/correcting once week 1 hits.

Remember the 2015 preseason where we got rolled by Tampa Bay and everyone melted down? People said we had no chance we had issues everywhere and were destined to be horrible. If I remember correctly we had a pretty good season.

So once again, Pre season tells you nothing.
Reply/Quote