Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember how Burrow couldn’t throw the deep ball…

It was really his only glaring weakness during his rookie season, and he vowed to fix it. Well, he certainly has. I expect he’ll do the same thing this offseason with regard to the INT’s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
It was really his only glaring weakness during his rookie season, and he vowed to fix it. Well, he certainly has. I expect he’ll do the same thing this offseason with regard to the INT’s.

He has the Charger game to throw one more to break that record.  After that, he has to work on the record for QBs under 25.  His birthday is on the 10th

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

What else couldn't he do coming in to the season???

Survive behind the offensive line.

Be mobile after surgery.

Win in Cincinnati.

Win with Zac Taylor.

Beat pitt or the Ravens.

Hmmmm.  Some people are going to have to dig for some more things Joe Burrow can't do.....
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hmmmm.  Some people are going to have to dig for some more things Joe Burrow can't do.....

Not sure what your point is.

People were just stating facts when they said Burrow really struggled throwing the deep ball last year.  And I don't remember anyone saying he would never get any better at it.  The people who claimed he had no flaws were the delusional ones.

Ha also had issue holding on to the ball too long and taking too many sacks.  He seems to be getting better at that also.

And even though he has thrown a few really stupid picks this year I assume he will straighten that out also.  If his problem was an inability to read defenses he would not have had the third lowest interception percentage in the league last year.  So he just need to learn not to make stupid throws. 
Reply/Quote
I think the real take away people should realize is that players do in fact improve. Too often we see one year of a player and immediately decide what they are or aren't. As a whole this has become really common around the league with no one getting any time to develop. When guys are great year 1 that is awesome but most guys don't hit their true potential until late in their 2nd season into their 3rd season.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the real take away people should realize is that players do in fact improve. Too often we see one year of a player and immediately decide what they are or aren't. As a whole this has become really common around the league with no one getting any time to develop. When guys are great year 1 that is awesome but most guys don't hit their true potential until late in their 2nd season into their 3rd season.

Yep. And fates willing he’ll finally have his first true offseason/TC/preseason coming into his 3rd year. We could see a significant step forward. And considering how good he already is, that’s very exciting to think about.

Reply/Quote
Can't believe everything you hear I guess.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Can't believe everything you hear I guess.

Oh I’m not suggesting Burrow didn’t struggle deep last year. He did. Part of it was personnel (AJ and Ross sucked), but part of it was also on him. He’s obviously vastly improved that part of his game though.

Reply/Quote
Burrow did struggle last year with the deep ball which I found suprising as I watched some of the LSU games and they seemed to constantly throw the ball deep. But it is really refreshing to see a player say they want to work on a certain part of they're game and see the visible results. Even more impressive coming back from injury. A healthy offseason with Burrow getting work with Boyd, Higgins and Chase and this offense could be really scary.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What else couldn't he do coming in to the season???

Be mobile after surgery.

Win in Cincinnati.

Win with Zac Taylor.

Beat pitt or the Ravens.

Hmmmm.  Some people are going to have to dig for some more things Joe Burrow can't do.....

Don't worry. We got a guy here working on that as we speak. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I may need to put on a fire suit, but Joe has underthrown Chase a few times on deep throws this year. He would have 3 or 4 more tds if he did not have to stop/slow down to make the catch.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I may need to put on a fire suit, but Joe has underthrown Chase a few times on deep throws this year. He would have 3 or 4 more tds if he did not have to stop/slow down to make the catch.

He has. Overthrew Chase a hair on one where Ja’Marr had a step on Newsome, too. There’s definitely still room for improvement, but we’ve seen a huge difference from year 1 to year 2.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has. Overthrew Chase a hair on one where Ja’Marr had a step on Newsome, too. There’s definitely still room for improvement, but we’ve seen a huge difference from year 1 to year 2.

I need to remind myself that even the best QBs miss on a lot of deep throws.

I think we get spoiled because the only ones we see from other games are highlights of when they complete them all.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hmmmm.  Some people are going to have to dig for some more things Joe Burrow can't do.....

Play defense?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What else couldn't he do coming in to the season???

Be mobile after surgery.

Win in Cincinnati.

Win with Zac Taylor.

Beat pitt or the Ravens.

I find myself wanting him to protect himself a bit more, but I think that mentality of his is part of what makes him so good.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I need to remind myself that even the best QBs miss on a lot of deep throws.

I think we get spoiled because the only ones we see from other games are highlights of when they complete them all.

Deep target completion percentages last year ranged anywhere from 30-50% for what most people considered “top QBs”, Burrow was around 21% last year so he was well below where he should have been. I haven’t seen the numbers this year but my gut says he is around 40% and right in-line with where he should probably be.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I may need to put on a fire suit, but Joe has underthrown Chase a few times on deep throws this year.  He would have 3 or 4 more tds if he did not have to stop/slow down to make the catch.

I'm wearing a fire suit for no particular reason. I just look good in it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what your point is.

People were just stating facts when they said Burrow really struggled throwing the deep ball last year.  And I don't remember anyone saying he would never get any better at it.  The people who claimed he had no flaws were the delusional ones.

Ha also had issue holding on to the ball too long and taking too many sacks.  He seems to be getting better at that also.

And even though he has thrown a few really stupid picks this year I assume he will straighten that out also.  If his problem was an inability to read defenses he would not have had the third lowest interception percentage in the league last year.  So he just need to learn not to make stupid throws. 

My point is that the negative Nancy's were dwelling on what he wasn't doing well, instead of what he was doing well and the big picture.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:51 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Play defense?

Hilarious

He sure was sprinting down the field like a special teams demon when Mixon broke his long run.  I was like:  "Wait.  That's Burrow!   WTH is he doing?".  Then, I couldn't stop laughing.  He was like, "I'm coming too!".

Let's hope he doesn't have to make a single tackle again this season.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 08:00 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I find myself wanting him to protect himself a bit more, but I think that mentality of his is part of what makes him so good.

I can deal with his scrambling and trying to make plays upfield as he rarely takes a direct shot.  The risk of someone rolling in to his leg in the pocket is greater and I really like how Adeniji is looking in his new role.  The "no donkeys" line works when there is better consistency and I am sure we haven't seen the last of Carman. 
Reply/Quote