Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remember when folks wanted Ryan Mallet drafted?
(10-25-2015, 11:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think it's fair to say 90% of men got rid of their baby name as part of become an adult.

Jimmy Carter was president, and he went by Jimmy.  Interestingly, I didn't start going by the informal version of my name until I got older, but that was mostly because I went to a catholic school and being called by your formal name seemed more like part of the whole effect.  

Ida know.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hey, I'm smarter than those guys. I never wanted Ryan Mallet in the second round, I wanted Blaine Gabbard in the 1st.

Don't feel bad, I was a Christian Ponder in the 2nd guy for that draft.
Reply/Quote
As I recall, Mike Brown wanted Mallett and the coaches talked him out of it on draft day.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: As I recall, Mike Brown wanted Mallett and the coaches talked him out of it on draft day.

I pointed that out the last time someone made a tread about the Bengals being "too smart" to take Mallett.  Let's face it, our "GM" has a pretty long history of lousy pics so let's not get too terribly smug.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: How far back in time did you go for that one?

Danny marino.
Jimmy Kelly.
Jimmy connors (HAHA)

I think it's fair to say 90% of men got rid of their baby name as part of become an adult.

Theodore "Teddy" Bridgewater
Andrew "Andy" Dalton
Antonio "Tony" Romo

What about QBs who go by two letters instead of their name? Still kiddy?
Erik "EJ" Manuel Jr
Raymond "AJ" McCarron Jr

Or QBs who shorten their names...
Matthew "Matt" Ryan
Thomas "Tom" Brady
Elisha "Eli" Manning
Cameron "Cam" Newton
Joshua "Josh" McCown
Joseph "Joe" Flacco
Benjamin "Ben" Roethlisberger
Samuel "Sam" Bradford
Nicholas "Nick" Foles
- - - - -

I'm sure there's more, but my point is... we don't want Manziel for obvious mature adult reasons, but his name isn't one of them. There are a LOT of QBs in the NFL who don't go by their actual names.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm sure there's more, but my point is... we don't want Manziel for obvious mature adult reasons, but his name isn't one of them. There are a LOT of QBs in the NFL who don't go by their actual names.

Not to mention the remaining starting QB's mostly have names that can't be shortened (to my knowledge)

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Ryan Tannehill
Tyrod Taylor
Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallett
Blake Bortles
Peyton Manning
Derek Carr
Kirk Cousins
Aaron Rodgers
Jameis (um, I guess he could go with Jamie or Jimbo?) Winston
Carson Palmer
Colin Kapernick
Jay Cutler

So that leaves us with:
Andrew Luck
Marcus Mariotta
Phillip Rivers
Russel Wilson

as QBs who don't shorten their name to the informal version.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Kaepernick is and has always been a product of the system run by the Michigan guy. SF will be in the market for a QB soon enough. I've never been a fan of running QBs coming out of college. They have way too much to learn and because they rarely play under center how can anyone honestly evaluate them for the NFL? Rex Ryan was getting some mileage out of Taylor up in Buffalo, but realistically how long did anyone expect that the continue?

Dalton was clearly the better choice now that he's turned the corner and given the team's draft position in 2011. If it would have been up to Mike Brown we'd have drafted Gabbert and we'd be at square one hoping for the playoffs some day.

The Bengals have been drafting pretty well. There have been some players the team has passed on that have turned out to be excellent NFL players also. We did spend a 2nd round pick on Hunt.

Actually, Brown was on board with Kaepernick, not Gabbert. 

Look at some of the more recent first round QBs selected:

Jake Locker, out of football
Christian Ponder, I honestly don't know where he is
Blaine Gabbert, backup to Kaepernick (and no one is calling for him)
EJ Manuel, spot started for Buffalo, started the season THIRD on the depth chart
RGIII, not starting because they fear an injury means they will have to pay him (future starter in Philly?)
Manziel?  Dumpster fire

The jury is still out on Winston, Marriota, and Bortles. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I pointed that out the last time someone made a tread about the Bengals being "too smart" to take Mallett.  Let's face it, our "GM" has a pretty long history of lousy pics so let's not get too terribly smug.

The long history to you speak of was when there was no rookie wage scale.  This meant that an injury (Ki-Jana), a dud (Klingler/Akili), or anything less than a home run at the top of the first round (Warrick, a solid double) meant you were paying so much to a guy that couldn't play, you were also financially hamstrung. 

So many teams would not be able to sign their key FAs because of their huge investments drafted at the top of the draft with ridiculous salaries.  I would have traded nearly all of those high first round picks.  Although I think the biggest mistake in franchise history was not taking the trade with New Orleans for all their picks. 

I guess I am saying that although the "GM" made plenty of personnel mistakes, they were also crippled by the system at that time where today's busts don't kill a team for 3-4 years. 

The past 6 years or so, the Bengals have drafted as well, if not better, than any team in the league. What I like best is the fact that they have seemingly lost their desire to just draft great athletes and they are drafting higher character guys with good football IQ.

Granted, there is an occasional swing-and-miss going after a freak athlete (Moch, Hunt?) but the roster is built on nuts-and-bolts guys that help piece together a winning franchise.  Guys like Sanu, Marvin Jones, Burkhead, Hewitt, Peerman, Boling, Bodine, Atkins, Peko, Vinny Rey, Iloka, Brandon Thompson,  as well as a few lower-tier (price wise) FAs like Sims(who they drafted), MJ(ditto), Reggie Nelson, and Adam Jones are all key pieces that they brought in.  Those draft selections were all third round or later, or as Lapham calls them "the meat and potatoes" picks of the draft. 

I have said it numerous times.  I absolutely love the way this team is put together.  Right now, they have the perfect mix of veterans and young talent.  They have quality people and depth across the board. 

I don't mean to sound like I am drooling over the front office, and think they can do no wrong (there should be a ring of honor, former Bengals should be more involved with the team, and I STILL believe they deserve their own indoor practice facility) but I am so happy with the team they have assembled that I am willing to overlook those things and enjoy what is, possibly, the best Bengals team ever take the field. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:03 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Luck is an excellent QB on a shitty team that can't protect him. And I believe they beat the snot out of us twice last year.

1.  We had substantial injuries last season.  When relatively healthy I believe we won and Dalton outplayed Luck.
2.  An "excellent" QB wouldn't have almost as many picks as they do TDs at this point in the season.  
3.  They can't protect him because he holds on to the ball too long as if he has that luxury.  

I think Luck has shown he has potential to be a good QB, but it seems some have already anointed him.  If Dalton had his stat line, it would be an indication of how he has reached his "ceiling".  Luck, seems to play by a different set of rules in that regard.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 09:58 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Remember when folks wanted Andrew Luck drafted Ninja

My ole my have times changed......  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Don't remember anyone clamoring for him but heck that was like 10 years ago, Ive slept since then.

We all know the draft is a crap shoot, win some we lose some, looks like he crapped out.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Tough way to go for Mallett. Drafted by NE with absolutely no shot of being the big man on campus behind Brady unless Brady had been killed or something so he gets the shot with Houston on the team going nowhere and flops in dramatic fashion.
I almost feel sorry for the guy, but not enough to have wanted him on the Bengals. Still, we'll never know if the Bengals could have developed him properly or not, just sit and be happy we didn't.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I remember wanting Mallett because of his arm and potential. I knew he had a rep of being a bit of a headcase, but damn.

Really? You miss a team flight because of traffic?!?
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 03:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: Tough way to go for Mallett. Drafted by NE with absolutely no shot of being the big man on campus behind Brady unless Brady had been killed or something so he gets the shot with Houston on the team going nowhere and flops in dramatic fashion.
I almost feel sorry for the guy, but not enough to have wanted him on the Bengals.  Still,  we'll never know if the Bengals could have developed him properly or not, just sit and be happy we didn't.

Meh, hard to feel to sorry for a guy who gets paid a lot of money to do nothing and then flops on the rare times his number is called.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 05:20 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: I remember wanting Mallett because of his arm and potential. I knew he had a rep of being a bit of a headcase, but damn.

Really? You miss a team flight because of traffic?!?

Mallett is an idiot. This guy hasn't seemed to grow up at all since he came into the league.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 05:21 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Mallett is an idiot. This guy hasn't seemed to grow up at all since he came into the league.

Yep, all that off the field and attitude nonsense and he's crap as  QB, to boot.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hey, I'm smarter than those guys. I never wanted Ryan Mallet in the second round, I wanted Blaine Gabbard in the 1st.

Don't feel bad, Dalton was my 2nd favorite QB in that class. My favorite was...Christian Ponder. Mellow

I was ecstatic when Dalton fell to us though. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 10:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Nah, I'm pretty sure they made us look silly from all around. In the first game we could barely make a first freakin' down.

2 min before half time, we had our 1st 1st down ... on a penalty.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The past 6 years or so, the Bengals have drafted as well, if not better, than any team in the league. What I like best is the fact that they have seemingly lost their desire to just draft great athletes and they are drafting higher character guys with good football IQ.

Granted, there is an occasional swing-and-miss going after a freak athlete (Moch, Hunt?) but the roster is built on nuts-and-bolts guys that help piece together a winning franchise.  Guys like Sanu, Marvin Jones, Burkhead, Hewitt, Peerman, Boling, Bodine, Atkins, Peko, Vinny Rey, Iloka, Brandon Thompson,  as well as a few lower-tier (price wise) FAs like Sims(who they drafted), MJ(ditto), Reggie Nelson, and Adam Jones are all key pieces that they brought in.  Those draft selections were all third round or later, or as Lapham calls them "the meat and potatoes" picks of the draft. 

Hewitt and Rey were both undrafted FAs. Peerman was drafted by the ravens and picked up by us as a FA.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 06:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Don't feel bad, Dalton was my 2nd favorite QB in that class. My favorite was...Christian Ponder. Mellow

I was ecstatic when Dalton fell to us though. 

Shoulda consulted this ol Noles fan....I knew Ponder wouldn't pan out (he had a pretty significant shoulder injury while at FSU ) guts only get you so far....and was fairly confident Manuel would be a good backup and not much else.  Turns out.....he's really not even that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote