Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Renell Wren vs Fletcher Cox
I will get killed for making this comparison, but I have been reading about how Wren gets washed out on certain plays and isn't able to fight off double teams. Well, I looked back at a review of one of the best DTs in the game, Fletcher Cox, and much of the same was said about him coming out of college.

Now, I understand that Cox is significantly faster. He ran a 4.79 in the forty (Wren, 20 lbs heavier ran a 5.01) at the combine and does not exclusively line up at NT. He plays in a 4 man front at Philly, but will go back and forth from NT to DT. He clearly offers a very solid pass rush, and (as previously mentioned) is one of the best in the game.

I did find it interesting, though, that at the current size of Wren (6'5", 318lbs) that he was able to have a greater vertical (32" vs 26") and a better long jump (118" vs 103"). They did the same number of bench press of 225 (30 times). That is some serious explosiveness there. Cox comes in at 6'4", 310lbs today, but was just under 300 lbs coming out of college when he did the combine.

I am not suggesting that Wren will be the next Fletcher Cox, but there are some intriguing numbers with regard to the strength and athleticism of Wren. Below are the links to their combine evaluations.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/fletcher-cox?id=2533051

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/renell-wren?id=32195752-4542-2041-ca80-11bac75769dc
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
He is a project at best right now give him a year to develop to see where he is at!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Cox was a first round pick who dominAted in college. Wren was a 4th rounder who didnt do jack shit in college and I’m still confused why we drafted him.
(05-05-2019, 12:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Cox was a first round pick who dominAted in college.  Wren was a 4th rounder who didnt do jack shit in college and I’m still confused why we drafted him.

So your argument is if you are drafted in round 1 and 2 it assures greatness and rounds 4 and later you are a POS??? Tom Brady called Geno Atkins to discuss your thesis. 

It may take later round picks time to develop like Brady and Geno, but the lists are way too long of 1st and 2nd round picks who flamed out at every position. We had 2 OL just do it recently. It looks like a third of #1 picks 4 years ago are not getting 4th year option picked up which tells me teams not happy with their progress.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(05-05-2019, 12:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So your argument is if you are drafted in round 1 and 2 it assures greatness and rounds 4 and later you are a POS??? Tom Brady called Geno Atkins to discuss your thesis. 

It may take later round picks time to develop like Brady and Geno, but the lists are way too long of 1st and 2nd round picks who flamed out at every position. We had 2 OL just do it recently. It looks like a third of #1 picks 4 years ago are not getting 4th year option picked up which tells me teams not happy with their progress.

No argument here. I watched 15 mins of game tape of Wren he looks like trash. He couldn’t even get past the RB in a pass rush and even TE Sample Handled Wren with ease. There was nothing positive of the guy at all. But I won’t question the Bengals because they have been extremely successful franchise how dare I question a draft pick.

I was a huge Atkins guy when we drafted him. He dominated during senior bowl week n had two sacks during the game as well against a 1st round pick.

Wren looks awful on tape.
There's not much good film out on Wren. I agree.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(05-05-2019, 12:48 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No argument here.  I watched 15 mins of game tape of Wren he looks like trash.  He couldn’t even get past the RB in a pass rush and even TE Sample Handled Wren with ease.  There was nothing positive of the guy at all.  But I won’t question the Bengals because they have been extremely successful franchise how dare I question a draft pick.  

I was a huge Atkins guy when we drafted him. He dominated during senior bowl week n had two sacks during the game as well against a 1st round pick.

Sample is an amazing blocker, better than Hochenson who was the number 1 TE picked in 2019 draft.  The knock on Wren is motivation.  He loses concentration but has a HUGE first step that is very quick.  He just looks like he gets lost on occasion or his mind is elsewhere.  Mt. Wren will be the starter in the rotation with Billings and Glasgow.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

I have been watching some film on Wrenn and one thing I have noticed quickly is lots of double teams. When he is not double teamed then he usually gets good push and even against double teams can stand his ground and eat up blocks. There are definitely some good skills and ability to work with when it comes to this young man.
The biggest issue with Wren he doesn't know what to do when he gets to thr o line he consistent tries to just push through their chest. If the Bengals can teach him some hand fighting skills he will become very good....or he could continue to just try to attack offensive lineman chest and wash out of every play.

Edit: I suggest the staff should tell him to work with Ryan Glasgow and Sam Hubbard this off season who are both very good with their hands.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(05-05-2019, 12:48 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:  But I won’t question the Bengals because they have been extremely successful franchise how dare I question a draft pick.  

I am a bit confused.  Wasn't Wren projected to go right about where the bengals took him.

I know how you think you are smatert than all the Bengals coaches, but what about all of the other media experts?  You know more than all of them afetr your 15 minutes of indepth research?

NFL.com has him 3rd-4th round.

Draftwire 3rd round

CBSSports had him as the #73 prospect (3rd round)
(05-05-2019, 12:48 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I was a huge Atkins guy when we drafted him. He dominated during senior bowl week n had two sacks during the game as well against a 1st round pick.

Wren had a dominant Senior Bowl week blowing through 2 first round picks in Bradbury and Linstrom.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(05-05-2019, 02:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Wren had a dominant Senior Bowl week blowing through 2 first round picks in Bradbury and Linstrom.

Wren destroyed Bradbury
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

(05-05-2019, 02:42 PM)Synric Wrote: The biggest issue with Wren he doesn't know what to do when he gets to thr o line he consistent tries to just push through their chest. If the Bengals can teach him some hand fighting skills he will become very good....or he could continue to just try to attack  offensive lineman chest and wash out of every play.

Edit: I suggest the staff should tell him to work with Ryan Glasgow and Sam Hubbard this off season who are both very good with their hands.

There must be something there, as NFLN was raving about what a great pick he was.  He did make some name brand OL talent look bad at Senior Bowl practices, so I am optimistic on him.  I haven't watched any critical film of him, so I will take your word that he's got a good push, and just needs to learn some moves.  Moves can be taught, having a natural ass to push with, cannot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-05-2019, 03:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Wren destroyed Bradbury

I watched all the OL vs DL drills. Saw a whole bunch of Wren losses. When these drills favor the DL. eHe won one. 

hWhen did all this senior bowl domination happen? I guess i should watch the full game
(05-05-2019, 07:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I watched all the OL vs DL drills. Saw a whole bunch of Wren losses. When these drills favor the DL. eHe won one. 

hWhen did all this senior bowl domination happen? I guess i should watch the full game

Don’t watch the game it only gets worse. But I’m a drill during practice it sounds like he won once or twice. In the film I’ve watched he looked totally clueless . Reminds me of that big body DT we took in round 5 who did nothing then tried at offensive guard then cut. From Fresno St I think.
(05-05-2019, 07:10 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Don’t watch the game it only gets worse. But I’m a drill during practice it sounds like he won once or twice. In the film I’ve watched he looked totally clueless . Reminds me of that big body DT we took in round 5 who did nothing then tried at offensive guard then cut. From Fresno St I think.

Shirley you can’t be serious? Lol
(05-05-2019, 07:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I watched all the OL vs DL drills. Saw a whole bunch of Wren losses. When these drills favor the DL. eHe won one. 

hWhen did all this senior bowl domination happen? I guess i should watch the full game.

Here is Wren blowing Bradbury off thr line of scrmage.

(05-05-2019, 07:10 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Don’t watch the game it only gets worse.  But I’m a drill during practice it sounds like he won once or twice.  In the film I’ve watched he looked totally clueless . Reminds me of that big body DT we took in round 5 who did nothing then tried at offensive guard then cut.  From Fresno St I think.

Clueless.....good terminology. I don't mean for Wren.
(05-05-2019, 07:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Here is Wren blowing Bradbury off thr line of scrmage.

But....But....But one of fans watched 15 minutes of a player's football career and says he will be cut and not make the team. Who should we believe?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
More on Wren at the Senior Bowl.

Quote:Against blockers in one-on-ones and in a team run-game drill, Arizona State's Renell Wren was probably even a little more disruptive than Saunders. In the morning, the Sun Devil standout measured in at just under 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds with long, 33 and 3/4-inch arms. Wren's intimidating length gave North offensive lineman like Texas A&M's Erik McCoy and NC State's Garrett Bradbury fits.