Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
(02-23-2024, 04:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: How many games have they all played together out of possible during their career? I can tell you those stars don't align nearly as often as we need them to.

31 out of 50 with a 20-11 record. 

8-6 in '21. 
8-2 in '22. 
4-3 in '23.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The trenches have to be addressed for us to go back to the SB this year...

If we cannot address them because of a Tee extension it would be a mistake.

We can draft WR's, we haven't shown we can draft top OL or DL yet with the current staff.

DL is stacked, and deep, in FA.
OL is limited… Jonah maybe highest paid OL FA. You don’t overpay for the need.

Bringing back Tee doesn’t mean you can’t help the trenches… it just means we will likely be looking at cappa/karras signings and not
Orlando type.

I think the bengals will be very active this offseason with 1 year deals. Burrows contract hasn’t fully set in yet, so they will push the chips to go all
In.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee is good but he's not elite. Jamar is elite. 

Some of you guys act like he's Randy Moss out there. 

I really cannot get behind the assessment that an issue with this board in general is they over-value Tee.
In fact, I'd assert the opposite, due to the presence of Jamarr Chase.
It does seem many NFL media sites are fans:
2024 NFL free agency: Ranking top 25 offensive free agents; Kirk Cousins, trio of receivers top list - CBSSports.com

2024 NFL Free Agency Primer: Top 10 free agents at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Top 50 NFL free agents in 2024: Tee Higgins headlines deep receiver crop; pass rushers aplenty!

Top 100 - 2024 NFL Free Agents List - NFLTradeRumors.co
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee is good but he's not elite. Jamar is elite. 

Some of you guys act like he's Randy Moss out there. 

Is he Moss?No! He is more like Keyshawn Johnson. A possession Wr who complements Chase perfectly!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I really cannot get behind the assessment that an issue with this board in general is they over-value Tee.
In fact, I'd assert the opposite, due to the presence of Jamarr Chase.
It does seem many NFL media sites are fans:
2024 NFL free agency: Ranking top 25 offensive free agents; Kirk Cousins, trio of receivers top list - CBSSports.com

2024 NFL Free Agency Primer: Top 10 free agents at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Top 50 NFL free agents in 2024: Tee Higgins headlines deep receiver crop; pass rushers aplenty!

Top 100 - 2024 NFL Free Agents List - NFLTradeRumors.co

There were about 30 players last year that went over 1000 yards receiving. Tee has barely cracked 1000 yards twice in his career. He had 52 yards per game last year. 42nd in the league. Right behind Rashee Rice, Diante Johnson, and David Njoku. 

Tee is a good player, but his production isn't hard to find elsewhere. Seriously, we are going to pay 20-25 million dollars a year for a number two receiver with that kind of production when you have Jamar Chase on the team? That is just INSANE to me.

Having Jamar makes Tee expendable. Tag and trade Tee and go sign Calvin Ridley for half the price with just as much production. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There were about 30 players last year that went over 1000 yards receiving. Tee has barely cracked 1000 yards twice in his career. He had 52 yards per game last year. 42nd in the league. Right behind Rashee Rice, Diante Johnson, and David Njoku. 

Tee is a good player, but his production isn't hard to find elsewhere. Seriously, we are going to pay 20-25 million dollars a year for a number two receiver with that kind of production when you have Jamar Chase on the team? That is just INSANE to me.

Having Jamar makes Tee expendable. Tag and trade Tee and go sign Calvin Ridley for half the price with just as much production. 
As I said: I disagree with the notion that a problem with the forum is we over-value Tee. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:08 PM)J24 Wrote: Is he Moss?No! He is more like Keyshawn Johnson. A possession Wr who complements Chase perfectly!

Let's just hope that he agrees to a "complimentary, possession receiver" type of contract.  I have a feeling that his agent is going to be looking for top 10 type of money.  And the more money that Tee gets, Chase is likely going to want 1.5X that amount.  And yes, it has been shown that teams can win a SB by investing heavily in QB and 2WRs, but they typically don't play out as dynasties.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I disagree with the notion that a problem with the forum is we over-value Tee. 

I was just adding more context. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What was the Bengals record when Tee Chase and Burrow 
Were on the field 100% healthy last year 
I will give you a hint .....it wasn't 0 and 3. 

(02-23-2024, 04:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What lost the Bengals the SB in '21 and the AFCCG in '22? I'll give you a hint...it wasn't the WRs.

Neither of you are wrong on this. 

Personally, I'm all for signing a 25 yo WR that pairs well with the WR on the other side, plays at a high level in the big games, already has good chemistry in the lockeroom , and most importantly, with his QB. The Oline was atrocious in the most recent SB year. That's not even debatable. Ts, the fact that they almost won it despite that handicap supports IPs take, slightly. Plus, I think that you are overlooking the Aaron Donald factor. Pro Bowl lineman have trouble blocking him, let alone what we had out there.

This is a trenches heavy draft. I expect the team will dip on both sides of the lines and probably more than once for each. JB already said that he wants Tee back. I think he will get his wish and I think the lines will be much improved after the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The trenches can be upgraded at the same time you can 
Also extend Tee Higgins. There is a perception that if you
Extend Tee then you can't address the oline. 
If Tee gets a long term extension then that helps 
The Bengals salary cap this year. They could add a couple 
Million to it on Higgins extension alone 

Hey, if we can upgrade the trenches while extending Tee even better and I am completely down with it.

(02-23-2024, 04:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why does it always seem that Bengals fans want every great player from every other team when they come available but are miserable unless our own great players are shown the door? It makes no sense.

This isn't me, I would like to keep Tee just as long as we can upgrade DT and RT at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 04:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: DL is stacked, and deep, in FA.  
OL is limited… Jonah maybe highest paid OL FA.  You don’t overpay for the need.    

Bringing back Tee doesn’t mean you can’t help the trenches… it just means we will likely be looking at cappa/karras signings and not
Orlando type.  

I think the bengals will be very active this offseason with 1 year deals.  Burrows contract hasn’t fully set in yet, so they will push the chips to go all
In.

All true, we don't need to pay a ton for the RT in FA either. The DT might cost a bit though, but if we are just going for a run stopping NT 
to fill in for Reader that might be cheaper as well and might be the right way to go and draft maybe Newton at 18 if he is there or another 
pass rushing 3-tech like Leonard Taylor or Fiske later.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's just hope that he agrees to a "complimentary, possession receiver" type of contract.  I have a feeling that his agent is going to be looking for top 10 type of money.  And the more money that Tee gets, Chase is likely going to want 1.5X that amount.  And yes, it has been shown that teams can win a SB by investing heavily in QB and 2WRs, but they typically don't play out as dynasties.

What is a  Complementary number in your mind? I'm thinking 25 million a year is a nice number, at 3 years, with 50 million guaranteed. 

Also if we're not going to spend the money on Tee then where are we going to spend it. Most of the DTs in (in Tee's priceline) free agency will be franchised or two expensive for the Bengals. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This franchise went to 2 straight AFC Championship  Games
With the best WR core in the league and at best
A average oline. This oline doesn't have to be elite
OT to OT in order for the Bengals to win
The North and challenge the Chiefs
If o-line was everything the Browns would
Have 4 straight AFC Championship Game
Appearances.

So we should keep rolling out an O-line that sucks at protecting Joe's health? Joe should be #1, 2, & 3 priority.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:49 PM)J24 Wrote: What is a  Complementary number in your mind? I'm thinking 25 million a year is a nice number, at 3 years, with 50 million guaranteed. 

Also if we're not going to spend the money on Tee then where are we going to spend it. Most of the DTs in (in Tee's priceline) free agency will be franchised or two expensive for the Bengals. 

If we want to call him WR2, that number will have an AAV of $20M, max.  If he wants $25M/per, then that is WR1 sort of money, and the team should let him walk if that is his demand.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd try for a 5 year deal with a progression ($20m/$21m/$22m/$23m/$24m) with the first 3 years guaranteed and a $3-5m signing bonus. That would put him approaching 30yrs old at the end of the term and we could cut bait at the end of 3 yrs if needed.

*edit* I wrote this before seeing the cap increase. Could bump a little if necessary.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If we want to call him WR2, that number will have an AAV of $20M, max.  If he wants $25M/per, then that is WR1 sort of money, and the team should let him walk if that is his demand.

Justin Jefferson will probably reset the market at north of 30 million per a year with 80 Million guaranteed. (Tyreek is getting 30 million a year with 72 Million guaranteed). So I would think 25 Million would be low end #1 Money in the near future.  Which is what Tee is! 
J24

Reply/Quote
1. Of course they want this reported. They may genuinely want to keep him, but I'm sure his agent gets that Cincy will play hardball. There's no reason not to have this idea floated to the public.

2. The only long term deal that makes sense to me would be a shorter (3yr) frontloaded deal. It would depend on Tee and his agent betting on Tee being able to land another big deal when he is 28 rather than hit the market at 29 or 30. If his 3rd year is the lowest of the 3 it would belp balance Burrow and Chase's deals.

We all want to go shopping now with all this extra money, but maybe he gets 25M this year as opposed to 21. I've been a tag and trade guy, but at some point offensive continuity and 3 years of Tee may actually be the right move.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to trust Zac and Duke if they put all the money into Burrow/Tee/Chase but I sure hope it doesn't lead to glaring weaknesses elsewhere on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 07:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm going to trust Zac and Duke if they put all the money into Burrow/Tee/Chase but I sure hope it doesn't lead to glaring weaknesses elsewhere on the roster.

Don’t worry. I think we all trust this front office and their ability to draft trenches

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 07:20 PM)phil413 Wrote: 1. Of course they want this reported.  They may genuinely want to keep him, but I'm sure his agent gets that Cincy will play hardball.  There's no reason not to have this idea floated to the public.

2.  The only long term deal that makes sense to me would be a shorter (3yr) frontloaded deal.  It would depend on Tee and his agent betting on Tee being able to land another big deal when he is 28 rather than hit the market at 29 or 30.  If his 3rd year is the lowest of the 3 it would belp balance Burrow and Chase's deals.  

We all want to go shopping now with all this extra money,  but maybe he gets 25M this year as opposed to 21.  I've been a tag and trade guy, but at some point offensive continuity and 3 years of Tee may actually be the right move.
Another point is if Tee has two great seasons back to back then his trade value would still be high going into the first year of Chase new deal!
J24

Reply/Quote