Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
(02-24-2024, 12:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would gladly eat crow if I am proven wrong at the end of the 2024 season, but I just don't see this going well.

He's not going to love playing under tag, and he's prone to get dinged up every single year. His game is about out-physicaling defenders and he's going to want to stay healthy for a big payday in 2025 FA. Won't be shocked if we see a 2020 AJ Green/2022 Jessie Bates type season.

Agree completely. Especially if he knows he would have gotten a lengthy lucrative contract from another team, but forced to play under the tag with chance of a career ending injury happening on any play with no contract past the upcoming season. 

I see it differently than most. Believe he has proven himself worthy and deserves his payday. Either give it to him, or let him go get it by trading him if you know he can never be afforded. Don't believe the Bengals can afford to give him what he is worth without not re-signing Chase and don't see that happening. 

Bengals may be able to take what they get in trade and add it to their own 1st pick and move up for Harrison Jr or Bowers as well, or stay pat and use the extra pick or picks filling holes.
Can you imagine having Chase with Harrison Jr on a rookie contract together allowing money to be spent elsewhere ? Now were talking SB window back open wide.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only once/if he signs the tender.

Bates waited until August 23rd to sign his tag, 5.5 months after being tagged.

Obviously any team that trades for Tee will have to have Tee agree to a deal in the first place. Shouldn't be that huge of a hurdle to get a deal done.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
So does this mean he can no longer wear a tagless Tee?

I’ll see myself out.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 09:13 AM)Destro Wrote: So does this mean he can no longer wear a tagless Tee?

I’ll see myself out.

Boo!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
There still is lots of incentive for Tee to play well this year. He's coming off a down year. His stats were the worst of his 4 years here. He needs to re-establish himself.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 08:36 AM)J24 Wrote: Obviously any team that trades for Tee will have to have Tee agree to a deal in the first place. Shouldn't be that huge of a hurdle to get a deal done.

I think a trade is possible but unlikely but to act like it can;t happen from 2018 to 2022 at least one player each offseason that was tagged was traded. What is more rare than a trade is tagging a player twice, so unless there is a change from both sides this will be Tee's last season most likely as a Bengal which will now probably shift the upcoming draft board
Reply/Quote
With the huge Salary Cap increase, tagging Tee just got a lot "cheaper". He's going nowhere in 2024.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would gladly eat crow if I am proven wrong at the end of the 2024 season, but I just don't see this going well.

He's not going to love playing under tag, and he's prone to get dinged up every single year. His game is about out-physicaling defenders and he's going to want to stay healthy for a big payday in 2025 FA. Won't be shocked if we see a 2020 AJ Green/2022 Jessie Bates type season.

Well then he should tell his agent to sign a decent deal.  I'm sure they are not lowballing him, he will be fairly compensated for 3 years minimum - maybe 4.

To say he is not going to love playing under the tag is almost laughable.  He's going to make 20+ mil, he's not going hungry.  Again, if he wants long-term security sign the damn deal.

I love everything about Tee Higgins and want him on the team but he is not a #1, period.  He's just not available enough to consistently put up the numbers of the best in the league.  The Bengals are smart here, business is business.
Reply/Quote
As long as it's just a tag, I'm not taking WR off the table early in the draft, possibly even 1st round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:22 PM)Trademark Wrote: You really can't replace Tee. Dude is elite and him and Ja'Marr feed off each other.

I'm confident a 1st round WR in this draft class could perform near Higgins.
This class is really strong.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No surprise here.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm confident a 1st round WR in this draft class could perform near Higgins.
This class is really strong.

Well If Rome Odunze or Brian Thomas Jr make it to 18 yea I could see that but Troy Franklin is a definite no because he's a mostly verticle receiver that rarely runs breaking routes. Keon Coleman is a polarizing prospect talented but raw similar profile to Tee but that type of wide receiver profile has high bust potential.

This draft isn't nearly as deep in X Receivers as it is Z/Slots and Slots.

Oops: Forgot AD Mitchell dude is silky smooth. The analytics hate him but he looks so good moving on tape lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Not sure how I feel about this. I suppose it depends on where it leads and what other moves are in the offing. Bare minimum, I hope we don't waste a prime pick on another WR. At least not this year. We have the best tandem in the league (for now), we picked two guys last year who look like contributors, plus we have a quarterback who's being paid to make it work regardless. More importantly, we have other holes to fill on the lines. This is our chance to do so... maybe our last chance before we start getting pulled in other directions.

Needless to say, this doesn't include Bowers or Sanders since they would add another dimension. I adore them both. But honestly, I would think twice about them too. We really need to beef up.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 01:03 PM)tms Wrote: Not sure how I feel about this. I suppose it depends on where it leads and what other moves are in the offing. Bare minimum, I hope we don't waste a prime pick on another WR. At least not this year. We have the best tandem in the league (for now), we picked two guys last year who look like contributors, plus we have a quarterback who's being paid to make it work regardless. More importantly, we have other holes we need to fill on the lines. This is our chance to do so... maybe our last chance before we start getting pulled in other directions.

Needless to say, this doesn't include Bowers or Sanders since they would add another dimension. I adore them both. But honestly, I would think twice about them too. We really need to beef up.

One can argue Tee and Jamar is 3rd or even 4th best tandem(duo)

I’d say they’re 2nd behind miami(Hill and Waddle)

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 01:06 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: One can argue Tee and Jamar is 3rd or even 4th best tandem(duo)

I’d say they’re 2nd behind miami(Hill and Waddle)

Personally I'd rather have Jamarr than Hill, and I think Tee's a better wingman than Waddle given his length and willingness to block.  

Either way, #1, #2, Top 10... it's all the same to me. This is not a position group that needs to be fortified right now imo. I don't know if a new player would even see any targets. It would be a waste. At least this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As long as it's just a tag, I'm not taking WR off the table early in the draft, possibly even 1st round.

I suppose it would serve to replace Boyd. Chase/Tee/Boyd becomes Chase/Tee/Coleman or Thomas Jr. etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:07 AM)ah5 Wrote: Well didn’t boyd drop the first down pass the prior play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He dropped a pass that might have been a first down if he's able to fight through the contact.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 09:13 AM)Destro Wrote: So does this mean he can no longer wear a tagless Tee?

I’ll see myself out.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think it’s likely we will have Tee next season. I think it’s likely long term but it’s too early to know. I think when it gets close to the season and franchise tag deadline Tee signs a long term deal. I think the pressure of keeping the three together brings Tee to making it happen. But I’ve come to the conclusion that after tagging Tee if it’s long term or short term they need to get 2 OL & 2 DT ( Reader could be 1) in FA & the Draft. If there’s anything we should have learned is that the last 3 SB teams,SF,KC, and Philly are exceedingly better in the trenches. Philly has Kelce & Lane Johnson both better than any of our OL. KC has Thuney & Creed both better than any of our OL. SF has Trent Williams. KC has Chris Jones and and we have Trey. Edge to KC. SF has Bosa & Young we have Trey & DJ. Philly has Jordan Davis & Fletcher Cox. We aren’t as far off in the DL.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

I tend to have the same concern. And, as you noted earlier, he can be traded "only once/if he signs the tender." That puts the Bengals at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting a trade before the draft and being able to get his replacement in the draft. I don't see that Higgins, or his agent, would have much motivation to sign the tag until after the draft. It may be, as Nicomo states above, the best scenario is to win it all this year, because he may well be walking away after this year, with the Bengals getting zilch.
Reply/Quote