Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
(02-24-2024, 12:17 AM)QueenCity Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My question why so quickly?  They had time to work out a deal....

Sign and trade is definitely on the table now

Thanks for the news. This is a little earlier than I thought myself, but this is the way things are run now and I love it.

Still think Tee getting the Tag will mean he will stay here this year and hopefully we can win a SB before he leaves next year, but getting the
Tag done this quickly gives me a little more hope that a trade could happen. The last thing we need is another Jessie Bates Tag year out of
Tee where he plays not to get hurt.

But this is a no brainer with the extra cap this year and gives us leverage once he signs the Tag.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tag and trade is a pipe dream. He’s going to play on the tag and then walk next season for nothing. Only way this turns out positive is if he helps win them a bowl.

Agree

Tag and trade just isn't much in the Bengals wheelhouse. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 12:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Well If Rome Odunze or Brian Thomas Jr make it to 18 yea I could see that but Troy Franklin is a definite no because he's a mostly verticle receiver that rarely runs breaking routes. Keon Coleman is a polarizing prospect talented but raw similar profile to Tee but that type of wide receiver profile has high bust potential.

This draft isn't nearly as deep in X Receivers as it is Z/Slots and Slots.

Oops: Forgot AD Mitchell dude is silky smooth. The analytics hate him but he looks so good moving on tape lol.

Good stuff Synric. Keon Coleman is intriguing though, he is a good Returner and is faster than Tee but I could see the high bust potential.

Need to watch some AD Mitchell now.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

Still hoping it is possible, you know me lol
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: That puts the Bengals at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting a trade before the draft and being able to get his replacement in the draft. I don't see that Higgins, or his agent, would have much motivation to sign the tag until after the draft.

I don't know... I don't think this is true. He'll go anywhere that'll give him his number. The team that trades for him would presumably want to sign him long-term, and he'll cooperate to get that done asap. Players hate playing on a tag. That's all I know. NFL careers are too short to play hardball. They much prefer long-term security. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: I tend to have the same concern. And, as you noted earlier, he can be traded "only once/if he signs the tender." That puts the Bengals at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting a trade before the draft and being able to get his replacement in the draft. I don't see that Higgins, or his agent, would have much motivation to sign the tag until after the draft. It may be, as Nicomo states above, the best scenario is to win it all this year, because he may well be walking away after this year, with the Bengals getting zilch.

I just don’t foresee us ever trading Tee.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:44 PM)tms Wrote: I don't know... I don't think this is true. He'll go anywhere that'll give him his number. The team that trades for him would presumably want to sign him long-term, and he'll cooperate to get that done asap. Players hate playing on a tag. That's all I know. NFL careers are too short to play hardball. They much prefer long-term security. 

Wouldn't Tee get top 5 money at his position being tagged? Not sure if it will Wr1 or Wr2 tho
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Wouldn't Tee get top 5 money at his position being tagged? Not sure if it will Wr1 or Wr2 tho

The tag value is calculated as an average of the top 5 salaries at his position, over the past 5 seasons.  So, no he likely would be at or just outside of the top 10, once all of the dust settles from this year's free agency signings.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:44 PM)tms Wrote: I don't know... I don't think this is true. He'll go anywhere that'll give him his number. The team that trades for him would presumably want to sign him long-term, and he'll cooperate to get that done asap. Players hate playing on a tag. That's all I know. NFL careers are too short to play hardball. They much prefer long-term security. 

Yeah since the non exclusive tag other teams negotiate, it could be helpful for both sides to see what money is actually out there today.  The Bengals don't want to negotiate against themselves, and they already sort of practice this when they let UFAs "find their market" though in this case the tag protects them.  Tee's agent must know the danger of having another injury filled year, so in this case yes he may not play hardball.  If another team blows away what Cincy is willing to offer, they'll have to pony up on the picks to get him.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good stuff Synric. Keon Coleman is intriguing though, he is a good Returner and is faster than Tee but I could see the high bust potential.

Need to watch some AD Mitchell now.

Adonai Mitchell is pretty good he just needs to work on his route running. He has good size  6'3 or 6'4 and around 196 so room to add a few lbs as well. Some of the best hands as any WR in the draft.
Reply/Quote

Lots of offseason moves the last few years were not in the Bengals wheelhouse before Katie and I for one could not be more happy about that change. 

Not saying they will trade him because all sides say they intend to keep him. Although believe this is the wrong move personally. 

Unless of course the Bengals sign him long term.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 08:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Lots of offseason moves the last few years were not in the Bengals wheelhouse before Katie and I for one could not be more happy about that change. 

Not saying they will trade him because all sides say they intend to keep him. Although believe this is the wrong move personally. 

Unless of course the Bengals sign him long term.

I agree I would tag and trade and use the money on the DL and OL and other places.....draft a WR early.
Reply/Quote
If not planning to sign him ?

It is best to trade and get something in return and most importantly insure he does not sign with a division rival. If planning on signing him, get-r-done.

Those that say he will be happy with a 1 year $20 million deal are thinking about how normal folks would feel and not as someone who is being blocked from signing a $100 million dollar deal by a tag.

Just think if at your job you've been the star employee and other companies have taken notice and want to pay you big money that your employer will not match. Enough that even your grandkids will not have to worry about anything during their lifetime But the current employer can block you from getting that money for a year elsewhere. Plus make you stay put on a 1 year deal for less money instead of 4 or 5 year deal guaranteed being offered at more $ by the other company. Now the other companies will most likely still pay you after the year as long as you performance stays the same and you don't get carpal tunnel syndrome, have a freak accident off the job, car wreck or anything causing injury yourself causing you to never get the opportunity. This will most certainly cause you to be more careful about things, heck I may wrap myself in bubblewrap for a year.

Got to remember that he has not received his big contract yet. Every player must really look forward to that day when they know them and generations of their family will be set financially forever.

Football is a rough sport with a small window to get your payday. Believe Tee's value will be around $100 million for 4 years. Personally would spend that on a elite pass rusher or O-lineman, per NFL ready WR's are easier to find in draft than elite trench players imo.

Not to mention the Bengals already have their #1 WR

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

So the. 1 yr with Tee and nothing in return that is their wheelhouse then?
Reply/Quote
Would you give up the Bengals 1st round draft pick for a 1 year rental of Tee Higgins at 22 million?

Because that is what the Bengals will be doing. They will be losing a 1st round draft pick by not trading Tee and letting him walk after the season. It will cost them a 1st round draft pick to keep Tee Higgns for this one year.

How is it going to feel when Tee pulls his hamstring again this year and doesnt play down the stretch knowing you gave up a 1st round draft pick to have this happen?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 02:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: I tend to have the same concern. And, as you noted earlier, he can be traded "only once/if he signs the tender." That puts the Bengals at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting a trade before the draft and being able to get his replacement in the draft. I don't see that Higgins, or his agent, would have much motivation to sign the tag until after the draft. It may be, as Nicomo states above, the best scenario is to win it all this year, because he may well be walking away after this year, with the Bengals getting zilch.

The motivation is if you wait until after the draft you get traded anyway but to some team you dont like because they gave the Bengals the best offer left.  At least before the draft your agent could talk to other teams and try to work out a deal.  You wait until after the draft you could get screwed in a trade.  Even if the Bengals dont trade you, you could end up with an injury and miss out on a big long term contract. It benefits Tee to sign a long term contract with a team where he has a say in it.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 09:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So the. 1 yr with Tee and nothing in return that is their wheelhouse then?

Uh yeah? It’s literally what just happened with Bates (same agent).

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Uh yeah? It’s literally what just happened with Bates (same agent).

They have to be smarter than the way they let the Bates situation play out.  They got nothing.  Tee is even more valuable in terms of potential draft picks.  They cant afford to let him walk and get nothing.  If Tee doesnt sign a long term deal this year does anybody think his asking price is going to be lower next year?  If it is, it is because he had another hamstring injury and missed more playing time.  At that point would you want to give Tee a long term contract next year?  IMO they have to trade Tee at this point, get a draft pick(s) and use the money saved to beef up the offensive line while drafting a WR that we will have for the next few years.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 10:13 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: They have to be smarter than the way they let the Bates situation play out.  They got nothing.  Tee is even more valuable in terms of potential draft picks.  They cant afford to let him walk and get nothing.  If Tee doesnt sign a long term deal this year does anybody think his asking price is going to be lower next year?  If it is, it is because he had another hamstring injury and missed more playing time.  At that point would you want to give Tee a long term contract next year?  IMO they have to trade Tee at this point, get a draft pick(s) and use the money saved to beef up the offensive line while drafting a WR that we will have for the next few years.

I'm not a fan of giving an injury prone WR anything close to 20/year including Tee. Tag and trade and let someone else deal with it while we get picks and move on and get better. You don't need 2 elite WR's to win a SB.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 09:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So the. 1 yr with Tee and nothing in return that is their wheelhouse then?

You get one year of Tee in return; plus a comp pick.

Why do folks want to get rid of our good players?

Ima bet Pittman is tagged very soon and he won't be traded either; because with the Cap bump and being able to keep a great starter based on last year's contract numbers is something no team should pass up. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote