Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Burkhead to be used 50/50 at RB/WR
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/bengals-making-rex-burkhead-a-receiver-running-back-hybrid/

Interesting to see this.
seems like we see something like this every year.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
This is good hes earned more opportunities. Whatever gets him on the field without removing other key pieces.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 05:52 PM)phil413 Wrote: 50/50 is a strong number.  I see that it said 50/50 at RB and WR, but if anything maybe it ends up being more like runs and catches...with most downs being in the backfield.  I look at it like this, they technically ran almost 500 times, it's likely one of the top two get nicked up a bit so Rex will get more carries.  As for actually lining up at WR, I'm not saying he can't do it but he was only there due to injury.  I get that you can see something in someone and be creative, but I want to see the actual receivers and TE's producing enough to where this only comes up in emergency.  They talked about using Gio more this way remember, so if guys like Marvin and Eifert are healthy and Sanu gets open more then it's an option but not a plan you have to use.  With his blocking ability, I'd rather see him get a few reps at H-back if needed.  
Reply/Quote
I like Rex, but again, we see this kind of thing every year. We need to get [depth player] more snaps out there. Will he get out there more? Possibly, but it's not like he was out there a lot. He might get a drive in game at RB, but I don't see him taking many snaps from Hill or Gio. I'm guessing his WR snaps would come out of the slot and I don't see him being used there much as well. At best, around 5-10 snaps a game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 05:57 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I like Rex, but again, we see this kind of thing every year. We need to get [depth player] more snaps out there. Will he get out there more? Possibly, but it's not like he was out there a lot. He might get a drive in game at RB, but I don't see him taking many snaps from Hill or Gio. I'm guessing his WR snaps would come out of the slot and I don't see him being used there much as well. At best, around 5-10 snaps a game.

At the very least he will be more prepared if hes needed in a larger roll again
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 02:22 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/bengals-making-rex-burkhead-a-receiver-running-back-hybrid/

Interesting to see this.
seems like we see something like this every year.

I guess no one is counting his special teams snaps which I'd expect to be about 60-70% of his total snaps. Could spell the end for Tate if one of the new guys steps up as a returner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
We have 1 slot type WR. That's Sanu.
After him we have 2 guys suited to play the slot given what we like out of the slot WR: Gio and Burkhead.

Both run tight routes, have YAC ability and strong hands.

Burkhead showed he can handle it and he deserves to see the field more.
Reply/Quote
I don't see them keeping Peerman around, then, not if Rex's role is expanding. I'm pretty certain Rex can do everything Peerman can do...and then some.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 06:58 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't see them keeping Peerman around, then, not if Rex's role is expanding. I'm pretty certain Rex can do everything Peerman can do...and then some.

He's flashed more talent as a receiver, in the slot as well as out of the backfield 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 06:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We have 1 slot type WR. That's Sanu.
After him we have 2 guys suited to play the slot given what we like out of the slot WR: Gio and Burkhead.

Both run tight routes, have YAC ability and strong hands.

Burkhead showed he can handle it and he deserves to see the field more.

You know, i like Mo but he is just not quick like Gio or Rex.

The difference is the height and strength of Mo so AD's ballz are not just batted down at the LOS.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 06:58 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't see them keeping Peerman around, then, not if Rex's role is expanding. I'm pretty certain Rex can do everything Peerman can do...and then some.

Yeah, i have loved ole Peerman for some time as a ST player and backup RB
but i think this year he is cut. I like Wilder too maybe if be shows up as a FB.
Reply/Quote
As long as Marvy doesn't wait until week 16 to get him on the field. Rex Burkhead as a #3 RB is some serious depth. He pretty much carried the offense in that playoff loss to the Colts, and only angered me as to why he wasn't on the field much sooner.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 08:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i have loved ole Peerman for some time as a ST player and backup RB
but i think this year he is cut. I like Wilder too maybe if be shows up as a FB.

We at least get one more peerman bowl.. PS week 4 vs the colts.
Reply/Quote
I really think it's just an experimental time of year, and I really don't read anymore into it than that.
Reply/Quote
Experiment... Finding a way to get a talented player the ball. I have no qualms about this.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We at least get one more peerman bowl..  PS week 4 vs the colts.
It will be a respectful parting.

Dude has done everything we have asked of him and more.
Reply/Quote
It does all point to Peerman being cut with the talk of Burkhead and Wilder impressing. If that is the case than I will be sad to see him go. Peerman has been an utter rock for this team and only ever performed when called upon.

Reply/Quote
Ummmm but isn't Gio more of a Brian Westrbrook than Rex?

I'm all for doing this type of thing, but I just figured Gio would fit the role better as the shiftier speedier back.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 07:32 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Ummmm but isn't Gio more of a Brian Westrbrook than Rex?

I'm all for doing this type of thing, but I just figured Gio would fit the role better as the shiftier speedier back.

They have the same type of game. Gio is just a little better at everything ON THE FIELD....off the field well...
Rex - 5'10 215 lbs, 4.73 40 yard, 39" vertical, 125" broad jump, 6.85 3 cone
Gio - 5'9 208 lbs, 4.53 40 yard, 33.5" vertical, 122" broad jump, 6.91 3 cone

Gio has more long speed and he is better at changing speed/direction on the field but Burkhead is most definitely in the same mold as Gio as a player. 

The one thing Rex seems to be better at on the field, beating press coverage which a slot WR will see a lot of...
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 07:53 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They have the same type of game. Gio is just a little better at everything ON THE FIELD....off the field well...
Rex - 5'10 215 lbs, 4.73 40 yard, 39" vertical, 125" broad jump, 6.85 3 cone
Gio - 5'9 208 lbs, 4.53 40 yard, 33.5" vertical, 122" broad jump, 6.91 3 cone

Gio has more long speed and he is better at changing speed/direction on the field but Burkhead is most definitely in the same mold as Gio as a player. 

The one thing Rex seems to be better at on the field, beating press coverage which a slot WR will see a lot of...

I suppose maybe he has the better skill set as a WR, but Gio has far superior vision, which he proved his rookie year and last year, but Hill is just a monster. 
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote