Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-13-2021, 06:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think we should all just get completely on board with whichever guy we pick and leave all this behind once the draft is over. Just be Team Bengals.

(04-13-2021, 08:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The sensible and correct attitude to have ThumbsUp

Sensible... yes.

Likely... probably not. I can already picture GameDay threads with people upset after a sack or a tightly contested throw... there is a few posters that come to mind quickly lol.

Besides the badge was more of a way to just have fun with something that has been such a crazy debate for weeks.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sensible... yes.

Likely... probably not. I can already picture GameDay threads with people upset after a sack or a tightly contested throw... there is a few posters that come to mind quickly lol.

Besides the badge was more of a way to just have fun with something that has been such a crazy debate for weeks.

I’m really struggling right now as to which “team” I’d even be on though. I’ve spent a lot of time arguing for Chase the last couple weeks, but part of that is just pushback from the doom and gloom crowd that thinks the world will end if we don’t take Sewell. I was also pretty convinced Chase is who they’re actually taking for a while there based off things the FO has said (see Tobin’s comments about it being a deep OL draft), so I was just trying to get fully behind it.

As far as badges or whatever. I wouldn’t be down for that, but obviously if enough people like it I guess you should do it. I don’t want one though. I’m team any of the 3, and I promise I’m going to try my best to not argue for Chase anymore leading up to the draft. Lol

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m really struggling right now as to which “team” I’d even be on though. I’ve spent a lot of time arguing for Chase the last couple weeks, but part of that is just pushback from the doom and gloom crowd that thinks the world will end if we don’t take Sewell. I was also pretty convinced Chase is who they’re actually taking for a while there based off things the FO has said (see Tobin’s comments about it being a deep OL draft), so I was just trying to get fully behind it.

As far as badges or whatever. I wouldn’t be down for that, but obviously if enough people like it I guess you should do it. I don’t want one though. I’m team any of the 3, and I promise I’m going to try my best to not argue for Chase anymore leading up to the draft. Lol

Ideally all 3 players crush it in the NFL.  Two of them won't be joining our division thankfully!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m really struggling right now as to which “team” I’d even be on though. I’ve spent a lot of time arguing for Chase the last couple weeks, but part of that is just pushback from the doom and gloom crowd that thinks the world will end if we don’t take Sewell. I was also pretty convinced Chase is who they’re actually taking for a while there based off things the FO has said (see Tobin’s comments about it being a deep OL draft), so I was just trying to get fully behind it.

The crazy thing is the board is tame compared to some of the things I've read on Twitter.

It is just insanity from both groups. 

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The crazy thing is the board is tame compared to some of the things I've read on Twitter.

I agree, it’s mostly been civil here. There’s the occasional “you play too much Madden” condescending type posts, but overall not too bad.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The crazy thing is the board is tame compared to some of the things I've read on Twitter.

Twitter folks are insane lol
Reply/Quote
For what it’s worth, Malik Wright was interviewed on “Locked on Bengals” tonight and he said it is about “95%” that the Bengals draft Chase, if he is there. Also said there is zero chance they trade down.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For what it’s worth, Malik Wright was interviewed on “Locked on Bengals” tonight and he said it is about “95%” that the Bengals draft Chase, if he is there.

Yeah, I think the writing was on the wall after Tobin’s comments about the OL depth in this draft. Plus Chase has said he doesn’t even know how many times he’s talked with the Bengals at this point. I know we had a heavy presence at Sewell’s pro day (including Pollack running drills with him), but I just haven’t got the impression he’s the pick like I have with Chase.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For what it’s worth, Malik Wright was interviewed on “Locked on Bengals” tonight and he said it is about “95%” that the Bengals draft Chase, if he is there. Also said there is zero chance they trade down.

Hmm

I don't know what to think about this. Sewell and Pitts both should be just as high on our board and I like Chase a lot.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I think the writing was on the wall after Tobin’s comments about the OL depth in this draft. Plus Chase has said he doesn’t even know how many times he’s talked with the Bengals at this point. I know we had a heavy presence at Sewell’s pro day (including Pollack running drills with him), but I just haven’t got the impression he’s the pick like I have with Chase.

Maybe Pollack wasn't as impressed with Sewell as I thought...

Has he worked with any 2nd and 3rd round O-lineman is my question?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I think the writing was on the wall after Tobin’s comments about the OL depth in this draft. Plus Chase has said he doesn’t even know how many times he’s talked with the Bengals at this point. I know we had a heavy presence at Sewell’s pro day (including Pollack running drills with him), but I just haven’t got the impression he’s the pick like I have with Chase.

Yeah, I’m not surprised. You know that I’m camp Sewell but I just can’t be upset with Chase. I see no reason to believe he is going to bust. Doesn’t mean he won’t, but he certainly looks the part. Just a flat out stud WR. I wonder who they like in round two, now.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why does this thread have over 1000 replies?
If Burrow is pushing for Chase, that's his choice.
He knows full well how important the OL is.
If he feels he can stay upright and run a good offense better with Chase and then an OL sometime later (likely Day 2) vs taking an OL in Rd 1, that's his opinion.

Except he's not.  It's been widely debunked that he hasn't done that.

The only thing that would potentially upset him is if we took Waddle or Smith instead of Chase.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except he's not.  It's been widely debunked that he hasn't done that.

The only thing that would potentially upset him is if we took Waddle or Smith instead of Chase.

I would be upset as well if that happened. Waddle is coming off injury and Smith is crazy skinny.
Reply/Quote
Defenses will.have to figure how to.scheme vs Chase
Defenses don't have scheme against Sewell
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I agree, it’s mostly been civil here. There’s the occasional “you play too much Madden” condescending type posts, but overall not too bad.

I think most of the real outlandish posters who went too far have been suspended or banned or placed in some sort of timeout.

I know I'm all on the team Sewell side, but I'll still want to see Chase succeed when we end up drafting him. I sometimes wonder though about a few people on here that they would be happy to see the team lose just to show that they were right. A certain QB debate that spread to gameday threads comes to mind lol.

(04-13-2021, 09:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Twitter folks are insane lol

A place where you can say anything, argue nonstop and all this while being anonymous.... what could possibly go wrong  Hilarious Hilarious

(04-13-2021, 09:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For what it’s worth, Malik Wright was interviewed on “Locked on Bengals” tonight and he said it is about “95%” that the Bengals draft Chase, if he is there. Also said there is zero chance they trade down.

I want Sewell, I think that is well know but I also realistically know it's going to be Chase at 5.

For no other reason then simply this from what Tim McGee said in his interview. 

"Will they get substance? Or will they get shine?” McGee asked. “Substance is picking an offensive lineman. I won’t say which one because there are a couple good ones out there. Or do you go with a receiver who is going to come in and shine and score some points and still make the coach (Taylor) look good and make him look like the next up and coming offensive coordinator so that if he loses this job he can get another job? Are they trying to compete at a top level? Or is this just a show of entertainment? And the draft will basically tell you what they’re thinking."

Taylor's job is on the line here, and if he gets Chase and they score lots of points while losing, at least he has a chance to get another job.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think most of the real outlandish posters who went too far have been suspended or banned or placed in some sort of timeout.

I know I'm all on the team Sewell side, but I'll still want to see Chase succeed when we end up drafting him. I sometimes wonder though about a few people on here that they would be happy to see the team lose just to show that they were right. A certain QB debate that spread to gameday threads comes to mind lol.

A place where you can say anything, argue nonstop and all this while being anonymous.... what could possibly go wrong  Hilarious Hilarious

I want Sewell, I think that is well know but I also realistically know it's going to be Chase at 5.

For no other reason then simply this from what Tim McGee said in his interview. 

"Will they get substance? Or will they get shine?” McGee asked. “Substance is picking an offensive lineman. I won’t say which one because there are a couple good ones out there. Or do you go with a receiver who is going to come in and shine and score some points and still make the coach (Taylor) look good and make him look like the next up and coming offensive coordinator so that if he loses this job he can get another job? Are they trying to compete at a top level? Or is this just a show of entertainment? And the draft will basically tell you what they’re thinking."

Taylor's job is on the line here, and if he gets Chase and they score lots of points while losing, at least he has a chance to get another job.

A lot of sense in this post Murdock, major reps.

That McGee quote is very telling and may be the reason we take Chase. I just hope Pollack has really been researching the rest
of the OL big time. I bet he has, one thing besides the Reiff signing and the Spain signing that gives me hope is Pollack and the 
depth in this class on the OL. If we go Chase, Cosmi and Carman with the first 3 picks I would be one happy man.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A lot of sense in this post Murdock, major reps.

That McGee quote is very telling and may be the reason we take Chase. I just hope Pollack has really been researching the rest
of the OL big time. I bet he has, one thing besides the Reiff signing and the Spain signing that gives me hope is Pollack and the 
depth in this class on the OL. If we go Chase, Cosmi and Carman with the first 3 picks I would be one happy man.

As a Clemson guy, I'm big on Carman. He isn't a tackle at the NFL level, should be a really good guard. Just not sure he'd still be there in round three. As for Cosmi, I don't think we will see him at 38. 

Safe to say Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw are 1st round locks along with Vera Tucker. I would rank Cosmi as the next guy in line for the OL and he might be the 5th guy in round 1, lots of teams need OL help. 

My fear is we take Walker Little or Teven Jenkins. 

Little is the perfect Bengals pick, a guy who was injured. He might get back to the shape he was at Stanford when he was viewed as maybe the #1 tackle in the class but since the injury... no tape to show how he recovered. That worries me. Then you have Jenkins.... this guy is Ced 2.0. The style of play, the type of offense he was working in, the scouts talking about character concerns. It just would freak me out to draft him.

Reply/Quote
I wonder how many teams who like OL prospects like Radunz or Cosmi might try to trade up in round two? If the Bengals go Chase at 5, everyone and their mom will know that this team is going to be desperate for OL. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I think the writing was on the wall after Tobin’s comments about the OL depth in this draft. Plus Chase has said he doesn’t even know how many times he’s talked with the Bengals at this point. I know we had a heavy presence at Sewell’s pro day (including Pollack running drills with him), but I just haven’t got the impression he’s the pick like I have with Chase.

Yeah I think Chase is probably the pick. It just matches the history of this team. We've always valued having an elite WR, and our recent history is to make one big move to fix the line and call it a wrap. We've never really went "all-in" to fix it.

Also, it doesn't hurt that a WR will sell more tix and jerseys than a boring lineman.

Here's hoping the 4th elite WR (Pickens, Chad, AJ, Chase) is the charm.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:20 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Defenses will.have to figure how to.scheme vs Chase
Defenses don't have scheme against Sewell

It will be pretty easy for defenses to come up with a scheme to shut Chase down if we don't upgrade our O-line.
Reply/Quote