Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Cohen to testify that Trump approved Tower meeting w Russians for dirt
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/26/politics/michael-cohen-donald-trump-june-2016-meeting-knowledge/index.html?ofs=fbia

Sources say Cohen plans to tell Mueller that he was present when Trump was briefed on the Russian proposal for dirt on Hillary by Don jr and that Trump gave his son the go ahead to set up the infamous Trump Tower meeting.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-26-2018, 10:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/26/politics/michael-cohen-donald-trump-june-2016-meeting-knowledge/index.html?ofs=fbia

Sources say Cohen plans to tell Mueller that he was present when Trump was briefed on the Russian proposal for dirt on Hillary by Don jr and that Trump gave his son the go ahead to set up  the infamous Trump Tower meeting.

Where does that fit in the bingo square of lies Trump has told about this so far?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
All along I have said that they might not find any hard evidence that Trump actually worked with the Russians. But even if they don't the Trump people are making themselves look guilty for lying about absolutely everything.

If they were not doing anything wrong why are they lying about it over and over again. Now even if they decide to tell the truth it will be impossible for people to believe them.

Well some people anyhow.
I'm not saying Trump did or didn't do anything wrong and I know this will be blown up by those who hate Trump and be ignored by Trumpsters.

I think Trump will just say, "Yeah, I don't remember this meeting. Cohen says it happen but I don't remember it" and everyone except those who hate him will dismiss it.

Just my opinion.

This is for Fred since he is a lawyer
How can this testimony be admissible if Cohen is or was Trumps lawyer?
Shouldn't this be thrown out because of attorney/client Priviledge?
If this testimony is allowed, why even confide in a lawyer if the courts can force testimony against you?
(07-27-2018, 03:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: This is for Fred since he is a lawyer
If this testimony is allowed, why even confide in a lawyer if the courts can force testimony against you?

When you hire an attorney almost all communication is protected from release.  But if it is in furtherance of a crime the attorney can disclose it.

Basically you can tell your attorney anything about any crime you have already committed and he can't tell anyone, but if you are continuing to break the law the attorney communication is not protected.  You can use an attorney to defend you for crimes you have already committed, but you can't use an attorney to protect you while still breaking the law.
(07-27-2018, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you hire an attorney almost all communication is protected from release.  But if it is in furtherance of a crime the attorney can disclose it.

Basically you can tell your attorney anything about any crime you have already committed and he can't tell anyone, but if you are continuing to break the law the attorney communication is not protected.  You can use an attorney to defend you for crimes you have already committed, but you can't use an attorney to protect you while still breaking the law.

Ok, that makes sense.
Thank you
Cohen has the tapes. Trump is screwed. And I'm not just saying that because I don't like the guy. When your "Fixer" has recorded all of your convos and requests to "fix" things (which who can blame him given who he was doing the dirty work for. He knows how fast Trump throws people under the bus), you'r pretty much done for.

But Trump supporters will probably claim that's Obama's voice they hear once it's released.

I think it's all an embarrassing moment in American history. Made worse by Trumps lies and defense of everything Putin.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-27-2018, 03:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'm not saying Trump did or didn't do anything wrong and I know this will be blown up by those who hate Trump and be ignored by Trumpsters.

I think Trump will just say, "Yeah, I don't remember this meeting. Cohen says it happen but I don't remember it" and everyone except those who hate him will dismiss it.

Just my opinion.

This is for Fred since he is a lawyer

Not for nothing but there's also a difference between Privilege and confidentiality. I had a victim advocate giving a class the other day and she was pointing to difference in these two as far as things victims share with her and what they share with clergy.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-27-2018, 03:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: Cohen has the tapes. Trump is screwed. And I'm not just saying that because I don't like the guy. When your "Fixer" has recorded all of your convos and requests to "fix" things (which who can blame him given who he was doing the dirty work for. He knows how fast Trump throws people under the bus), you'r pretty much done for.

But Trump supporters will probably claim that's Obama's voice they hear once it's released.

I think it's all an embarrassing moment in American history. Made worse by Trumps lies and defense of everything Putin.

I'd be cool with President Pence.

At least you know what you are getting. I'd trust knowing and believing his values. Which to me is important even if I don't agree with your policies.

(07-27-2018, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd be cool with President Pence.

I don't know. While it'd be nice to get away from all the Trump hate, hearing all the anti-Christianity bigotry that would be spouted as a result may not be worth it.
(07-27-2018, 03:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know. While it'd be nice to get away from all the Trump hate, hearing all the anti-Christianity bigotry that would be spouted as a result may not be worth it.

Meh, the Trump hate is getting stale. I'm ready for some new hate.

(07-27-2018, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When you hire an attorney almost all communication is protected from release.  But if it is in furtherance of a crime the attorney can disclose it.

Serious follow-up question: which law is Trump allegedly still breaking that allows Cohen to break confidentiality?
(07-27-2018, 03:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Serious follow-up question: which law is Trump allegedly still breaking that allows Cohen to break confidentiality?

Federal election law specifically forbids foreign governments and foreign political parties, corporations, associations, and individuals from contributing, donating, or spending funds in connection with any local, state, or federal election in the United States. The prohibition includes either direct or indirect contributions. In addition, it is unlawful to assist foreign nationals in violating the ban or to solicit, receive, or accept contribution or donations from them.
(07-27-2018, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Federal election law specifically forbids foreign governments and foreign political parties, corporations, associations, and individuals from contributing, donating, or spending funds in connection with any local, state, or federal election in the United States. The prohibition includes either direct or indirect contributions. In addition, it is unlawful to assist foreign nationals in violating the ban or to solicit, receive, or accept contribution or donations from them.

I get that. But, isn't the allegation that Trump DID something to that effect, not that he's CURRENTLY DOING them? If it IS the former, then how can Cohen legally break confidentiality?
(07-27-2018, 04:35 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get that. But, isn't the allegation that Trump DID something to that effect, not that he's CURRENTLY DOING them? If it IS the former, then how can Cohen legally break confidentiality?

I think Fred said that it is only confidential when you tell your lawyer about past crimes, so if Trump told him after the fact then it would be protected. In Cohen's alleged scenario, he was present when Trump gave the go ahead, meaning it was not protected. 

Thankfully there is Trump hate.

I'd hate for Americans to be fine with this behavior. Why would anyone support it? Honestly. I don't get it. Who likes an insecure, egotistical, lying, cheating, conning, colluding, bully? An internet troll? Someone who clearly takes advantage of his supporters on issues they are passionate about, issues he really doesn't care about (like kneeling, immigration, and America manufacturing). How do people think this is cool? Do you attract friends like that? Or are you like that in real life outside of this board? Do you raise your kids to be like Trump?

Folks really think this is good for the Presidency?

Weird, and kinda unfortunate.

(07-27-2018, 04:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think Fred said that it is only confidential when you tell your lawyer about past crimes, so if Trump told him after the fact then it would be protected. In Cohen's alleged scenario, he was present when Trump gave the go ahead, meaning it was not protected. 

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh. I get it. That makes sense. Thanks. ThumbsUp
Rudy in may: Cohen "is an honest, honorable lawyer".

Rudy last night: Cohen "lied all of his life... a person who is found to be an incredible liar... there is no doubt in my mind that he is just not credible".

It’s not illegal though is it? I mean they lied but I don’t think the meeting is illegal.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall