Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Report: Tee Higgins could be traded if extension can't be reached
(02-08-2023, 02:00 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I agree. I don't think a team will trade a top 5 pick for Tee. 

I dont think we can get a pick that high,...  But teams will be interested especially teams with a Young QB they want help for (and after watching AJ Brown to the eagles and what that turned into for them)

That being said the best solution is to keep him for another few years if possible  (until joes and chases big money starts to kick in.)
Reply/Quote
Apparently, all the talk of Higgins being traded/leaving is all smoke.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/2/8/23589895/bengals-2024-compensatory-picks-projected
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:21 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Apparently, all the talk of Higgins being traded/leaving is all smoke.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/2/8/23589895/bengals-2024-compensatory-picks-projected

Wanting to Extend someone and getting the Deal done arent the same thing

Im sure they Want to Extend Tee
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:02 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Personally, given the QB we have, aside from Chase, Higgins is the most important skill player we have on offense.  You want to cut Mixon?  I’m OK with that.  We can pick up another RB in the draft, or roll with Perrine..

Want to let Hurst walk?  Wouldn’t like it, but could live with it given this draft is rich with TEs.

But, letting Higgins walk or try to trade him for anything less than a 1 and 3 in the draft, no way-Jose.  Sign him.  Cut the RB and TE loose to afford him.

I dont necessarily disagree with all of this.  I think Tee is very important to the offense and I hope we keep Hurst AND draft a TE.

I'm just saying that other teams only have a really good WR1 and they still win games.  KC lost theirs and they are in the SB with WR by committee. But I certainly hope we can keep Tee.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 02:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Obviously having both Higgins and Chase is more trying on a defense but this narrative that our passing offense would no longer exist without Higgins is a serious slight against Chase.

JJ doesn't have a great WR2, nor does Davonte Adams, Diggs, or Lamb.  How many tiers is Chase below these guys?

I'd like to keep Tee but it wont destroy our offense and no way do defenses triple cover Chase every play, if they do and we cant capitalize on that then why are we even discussing paying Burrow top money?

Personally, given the QB we have, aside from Chase, Higgins is the most important skill player we have on offense. You want to cut Mixon? I’m OK with that. We can pick up another RB in the draft, or roll with Perrine..

Want to let Hurst walk? Wouldn’t like it, but could live with it given this draft is rich with TEs.

But, letting Higgins walk or try to trade him for anything less than a 1 and 3 in the draft, no way-Jose. Sign him. Cut the RB and TE loose to afford him.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 09:46 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I look at Higgins like a stock. Why would I sell him now when I feel like he’s better than his value? If I can’t get fair value right now I wouldn’t trade him. If his stock goes up to where I view it as fair value, I would entertain the trade.

If we trade him for what you guys are suggesting his value is at, we’ll look like idiots within a year of the trade going through.
Explain how his stock is going to increase while a Bengal?
I feel it's about as high as it can get.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:29 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Personally, given the QB we have, aside from Chase, Higgins is the most important skill player we have on offense.  You want to cut Mixon?  I’m OK with that.  We can pick up another RB in the draft, or roll with Perrine..

Want to let Hurst walk?  Wouldn’t like it, but could live with it given this draft is rich with TEs.

But, letting Higgins walk or try to trade him for anything less than a 1 and 3 in the draft, no way-Jose.  Sign him.  Cut the RB and TE loose to afford him.

Maybe if you copy and paste this one more time we will get your point?

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:09 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Maybe if you copy and paste this one more time we will get your point?

Don't tempt me!!!!!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:24 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Wanting to Extend someone and getting the Deal done arent the same thing

Im sure they Want to Extend Tee

And, that's the point.  Bengals have come out and said in public Higgins is a priority to sign an extension.  So, someone...somewhere...makes an uninformed post in twitter about Bengals trading, not extending, tagging, etc...and all of a sudden it's a "thing".  It's not a thing.

Yet, here we are, posting page after page (me included) about something that has no basis in reality.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:29 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Personally, given the QB we have, aside from Chase, Higgins is the most important skill player we have on offense.  You want to cut Mixon?  I’m OK with that.  We can pick up another RB in the draft, or roll with Perrine..

Remember how everyone was beside themselves when Chad Johnson left the Bengals, and then AJ Green became a Bengal?

Remember how sad everyone was when AJ Green left to become a Cardinal, and then Tee Higgins became a Bengal?

It'll be more of the same when Tee moves on to another team, until the Bengals draft their next WR.

One position that the Bengals always seem to have little difficulty in drafting well at, is WR.  Losing Tee Higgins will not be that difficult of an obstacle to overcome.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember how everyone was beside themselves when Chad Johnson left the Bengals, and then AJ Green became a Bengal?

Remember how sad everyone was when AJ Green left to become a Cardinal, and then Tee Higgins became a Bengal?

It'll be more of the same when Tee moves on to another team, until the Bengals draft their next WR.

One position that the Bengals always seem to have little difficulty in drafting well at, is WR.  Losing Tee Higgins will not be that difficult of an obstacle to overcome.

Maybe.....but I firmly believe the old adage "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush".  We've got 2 #1 WRs in the building.  Can you replace either with someone else cheaper?  Maybe yes....maybe no.  But, why try if you've already got one of the best WR rooms in the NFL.

I thoroughly expect Boyd to leave.  But, not Higgins. Plus, there seems to be zero substance to this so called rumor.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:21 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Apparently, all the talk of Higgins being traded/leaving is all smoke.

The bigger issue from that article is the reality that they may play the comp pick game and not sign offsetting UFAs but focus on keeping their own.  We weren't so focused on talking comp picks last year when we knew the offseason would be a failure if they didn't spend UFA money on the OL.

In the same respect, any speculation on Tee isn't related to knowing negotiations, but the reality that they only have so much money to spend.  I hope they sign him, but they must be ready to trade him or tag him. There are real possibilities until he is signed, not smoke. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 01:08 PM)phil413 Wrote: The bigger issue from that article is the reality that they may play the comp pick game and not sign offsetting UFAs but focus on keeping their own.  We weren't so focused on talking comp picks last year when we knew the offseason would be a failure if they didn't spend UFA money on the OL.

In the same respect, any speculation on Tee isn't related to knowing negotiations, but the reality that they only have so much money to spend.  I hope they sign him, but they must be ready to trade him or tag him. There are real possibilities until he is signed, not smoke. 

To my way of thinking, unless you have young talent on your bench at those positions, talent that is now plug and play ready, that is just a complacent way to manage roster replacement. (comp pick game)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:33 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: And, that's the point.  Bengals have come out and said in public Higgins is a priority to sign an extension.  So, someone...somewhere...makes an uninformed post in twitter about Bengals trading, not extending, tagging, etc...and all of a sudden it's a "thing".  It's not a thing.

Yet, here we are, posting page after page (me included) about something that has no basis in reality.

well not much else going on is there lol
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 01:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To my way of thinking, unless you have young talent on your bench at those positions, talent that is now plug and play ready, that is just a complacent way to manage roster replacement. (comp pick game)

They have so many 2024 expirers that I'd be surprised if that isn't where the money goes.  The more they sign, the less they have to stress about not being able to tag a guy like Logan Wilson because it's reserved for Tee.  That's why it should go: 

1. Burrow the moment they can resign him.  We need to know what his salary structure is to plan all other moves accordingly.  

2. Logan Wilson. They don't have enough long term stability on defense and he would be a critical loss if they can't at least tag him.  Front load his deal to get it done.

3. Clarity on Higgins.  They need to be proactive with his agent to know exactly what they are dealing with here.  If there is a gap like Jessie Bates had we need to get ahead of it rather that wait. 

Then they can work on seeing if a Reader or Hendrickson will take a shorter front loaded extension or what things look like with Awuzie coming off an injury at a premium position.  

Managing roster replacement with comp picks sets you up for the future, but also allows you to make a trade and not mortgage too much as well.  If they are close on budget around the deadline again, they can get a cheaper quality player for next year's 3rd knowing they have picks coming. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Explain how his stock is going to increase while a Bengal?
I feel it's about as high as it can get.

The last two years he started the season slow and then came on at the end. If he can maintain his success throughout the season he can increase his value.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 08:34 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The last two years he started the season slow and then came on at the end. If he can maintain his success throughout the season he can increase his value.

But...at the end of next season he's a FA...so there's no value for the Bengals at that point....
And if he continues that trend to start the season slow, he's not going to put up as much by the trade deadline, so his value could actually be lower than it would be right now...

So yea, I'm not really seeing how his value can go up when it comes to trading him.
If the Bengals don't trade him and he leaves after the season, the most they are going to get is a 3rd round comp pick, which is basically garbage.
If the Bengals re-sign him, it's going to cost a hefty penny, and they need as much as they can to pay for Burrow, Chase, try to have a competent OL, and having some key defensive players.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 11:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember how everyone was beside themselves when Chad Johnson left the Bengals, and then AJ Green became a Bengal?

Great point. We might be the best team in the NFL at drafting WRs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 09:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But...at the end of next season he's a FA...so there's no value for the Bengals at that point....
And if he continues that trend to start the season slow, he's not going to put up as much by the trade deadline, so his value could actually be lower than it would be right now...

So yea, I'm not really seeing how his value can go up when it comes to trading him.
If the Bengals don't trade him and he leaves after the season, the most they are going to get is a 3rd round comp pick, which is basically garbage.
If the Bengals re-sign him, it's going to cost a hefty penny, and they need as much as they can to pay for Burrow, Chase, try to have a competent OL, and having some key defensive players.

Worst case, couldn't they franchise tag him, then trade him? 

I honestly think now is a great time to sign him to a contract because his value is where you say it is. 

Sign him for 4 years. He'll outshine his contract. Trade him after a couple years if money is tight.

You never know what the salary cap looks like in 3 years--could be hefty.
Reply/Quote