Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Trump called WWI Marines buried in France "losers" and "suckers"
(09-05-2020, 06:59 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: A Fox News correspondent corroborated part of the story with her own sources, then Trump demanded Fox fire her: https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-news-correspondent-confirms-trump-said-dead-us-troops-losers-2020-9

So now it's just gone from an anonymous lie to a lie with a name attached.  Trump wins again!

But on a more serious note, do Trump supporters have to throw Fox News in the toilet now, too? Was that Keith Olberman who used to call it Faux Noise?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 10:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ethos just isn't going to work, when you're accusing the POTUS of maligning fallen soldiers.  Whoever made those statements, needs to step up and account for them.

Eh, named sources just become "disgruntled former employees" in Trump World.

The proof is out there for the story.  From other public events and statements to Trump's own tweets.

Not that this will cause any Trump supporters/defenders to not vote for him.  They have their mind made up about what "reality" is.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Melania piped in:

Probably a good time to remember that she back Trump's Birther myth and all of his anonymous sources.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
https://www.dailywire.com/news/10-witnesses-go-on-the-record-stating-atlantic-report-on-trump-denigrating-troops-is-a-lie-2

Quote:10 Witnesses Go On The Record Stating Atlantic Report On Trump Denigrating Troops Is A Lie

Four more witnesses have gone on the record to say that The Atlantic’s anonymously-sourced report claiming President Donald Trump called dead soldiers “losers” and “suckers” is false, bringing the total to 10.

Mick Mulvaney, former acting White House Chief of Staff, shot down The Atlantic’s report, saying, “As you all can probably imagine, I have seen more than my share of outrageous (and false) attacks on the President over the last few years. But this whole injured soldiers thing really, really pushes the envelope.”

“So, just to be clear: These claims are simply outrageous. I never heard the President disparage our war dead or wounded. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I was with him at the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion in Normandy. As we flew over the beaches by helicopter he was outwardly in awe of the accomplishments of the Allied Forces, and the sacrifices they paid.”

Johnny DeStefano, former counselor to the president, also disputed the report, saying: “I was on this trip. The Atlantic bit is not true. Period.”

Derek Lyons, staff secretary and counselor to the president, and Dan Walsh, former White House deputy chief of staff, have also both denied the report.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said on Friday that Lyons said in a statement:

I was with the president the morning after the scheduled visit. He was extremely disappointed that arrangements could not be made to get him to the site and that the trip had been cancelled. I have worked with the president for his entire administration. One of my responsibilities is working with him on the many letters he signs to the families of our nation’s fallen heroes. In all my time at the White House. I have never heard him utter a disparaging remark of any kind about our troops. In my view, he holds the brave men and women of our armed forces in the highest regard.

McEnany then read Walsh’s statement: “I can attest it to the fact that there was a bad weather called in France and that the helicopters were unable to safely make the flight. Overall, the president’s support and respect for our American troops past and present is unquestionable.”

All of this comes after former national security adviser John Bolton—who is a fierce Trump opponent—went on the record and disputed The Atlantic’s report.

“I didn’t hear either of those comments or anything even resembling them. I was there at the point in time that morning when it was decided that he would not go Aisne-Marne cemetery,” Bolton told Fox News. “He decided not to do it because of John Kelly’s recommendation. It was entirely a weather-related decision, and I thought the proper thing to do. I never heard he made that kind of comment about another country’s forces either, no.”

Fox News correspondent John Roberts further added: “. @AmbJohnBolton told me today that if @realDonaldTrump had said he didn’t want to visit Aisne-Marne because the interred heroes were “losers” and “suckers”, he would have written an entire chapter about it in his book #TheRoomWhereItHappened.”
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: https://www.dailywire.com/news/10-witnesses-go-on-the-record-stating-atlantic-report-on-trump-denigrating-troops-is-a-lie-2

(09-05-2020, 12:12 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump insulted all POWs. Trump disparaged Senator McCain’s military service. Trump called GEN Mattis the world’s most overrated general. He publicly humiliated GEN McMasters. Trump publicly insulted ADM McRaven. Trump publicly insulted active duty soldier COL Vindman and ruined not only his career, but his brother’s as well. Trump publicly insulted all the generals when he claimed to know more than the generals in Iraq and Afghanistan. Trump publicly insulted a Gold Star family. Trump repeatedly insulted true Republican and decorated combat veteran Robert Mueller for doing his duty Trump’s administration appointed him to do. Trump called former Air Force COL and Republican Senator Lindsey Graham one of the dumbest human beings. Trump called GEN John Allen a failed general. Trump publicly insulted GEN McChrystal. Trump called combat decorated Marine Rep. Seth Moulton a coward. Trump insulted Marine GEN John Kelly. Trump ridiculed Navy CPT Crozier. Both the Sec of the Navy and the SEALs commander retired over Trump’s interference in military justice.

Insults are Trump’s stock and trade. Including insulting our nation’s heroes. These allegations are totally in keeping with Trump’s character and past behavior. To believe otherwise is completely naive.

Anyone who claims Trump’s respect for veterans is unquestionable is a liar and an enabler just providing cover to a life long liar whose long list of disrespectful insults towards veterans is well documented.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Anyone who claims Trump’s respect for veterans is unquestionable is a liar and an enabler just providing cover to a life long liar whose long list of disrespectful insults towards veterans is well documented.

I was going to say, isn't there already actual evidence of him expressing the same sentiments he's being accused of expressing here?  This is old news and Trump supporters have already "safespaced" themselves into thinking the guy loves their troops.
Reply/Quote
Here's my issue with this story, it really doesn't make sense. Trump will spare no effort to denigrate someone who he feels has attacked or disrespected him. He can be equally effusive in his praise for someone who compliments or is otherwise positive towards him. John McCain definitely falls within the first camp and we all condemned Trump's comments about him. But the mocking of US war dead? That just doesn't make sense to me. It really doesn't fit his personality.

I do find it interesting that Bolden, who was a left wing darling for a moment, is saying this absolutely didn't happen. I wonder if he'll be believed on this one?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's my issue with this story, it really doesn't make sense.  Trump will spare no effort to denigrate someone who he feels has attacked or disrespected him.  He can be equally effusive in his praise for someone who compliments or is otherwise positive towards him.  John McCain definitely falls within the first camp and we all condemned Trump's comments about him.  But the mocking of US war dead?  That just doesn't make sense to me.  It really doesn't fit his personality.

I do find it interesting that Bolden, who was a left wing darling for a moment, is saying this absolutely didn't happen.  I wonder if he'll be believed on this one?

I'd wager that it could fit his personality because he gets butthurt that the troops are held in high regard and that they belong to a group that he can't be a part of.  He can't buy his way in, he can't become an honorary member, so he can't help but feel like any group that he isn't in really can't be all that good.

Yes, it sounds like I'm not giving the guy much credit but that's why I don't have a hard time picturing him having such dismissive feelings about that group of people, and if he hadn't decided to become a "republican politician" in his 70's it never would have mattered.  Hell, it probably doesn't even matter now anyways.

Sour grapes, simply put.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd wager that it could fit his personality because he gets butthurt that the troops are held in high regard and that they belong to a group that he can't be a part of.  He can't buy his way in, he can't become an honorary member, so he can't help but feel like any group that he isn't in really can't be all that good.

Yes, it sounds like I'm not giving the guy much credit but that's why I don't have a hard time picturing him having such dismissive feelings about that group of people, and if he hadn't decided to become a "republican politician" in his 70's it never would have mattered.  Hell, it probably doesn't even matter now anyways.

Sour grapes, simply put.

I get it, and the language reported is certainly in keeping with Trump's statements.  Although he's not very creative in that regard so making up something that sounds like a statement he'd make isn't exactly difficult.  But I've got a nose for bullshit, and this story doesn't pass the smell test for me.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I get it, and the language reported is certainly in keeping with Trump's statements.  Although he's not very creative in that regard so making up something that sounds like a statement he'd make isn't exactly difficult.  But I've got a nose for bullshit, and this story doesn't pass the smell test for me.

I don't know. The independent confirmation from the Fox News reporter kind of sealed things up for me. Individuals can say "that never happened," but may not have been nearby when it was said.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know. The independent confirmation from the Fox News reporter kind of sealed things up for me. Individuals can say "that never happened," but may not have been nearby when it was said.

If the story is being confirmed from the same source than absolutely anyone could report it as confirmed.  It may have happened, but it just seems very fishy to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I get it, and the language reported is certainly in keeping with Trump's statements.  Although he's not very creative in that regard so making up something that sounds like a statement he'd make isn't exactly difficult.  But I've got a nose for bullshit, and this story doesn't pass the smell test for me.

That's fine...I just can't imagine Trump not making a point to slag on a group he isn't a part of when that group gets praise or attention.  We've all known at least one person who has his same personality, though most seem to outgrow it.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's my issue with this story, it really doesn't make sense. Trump will spare no effort to denigrate someone who he feels has attacked or disrespected him. He can be equally effusive in his praise for someone who compliments or is otherwise positive towards him. John McCain definitely falls within the first camp and we all condemned Trump's comments about him. But the mocking of US war dead? That just doesn't make sense to me. It really doesn't fit his personality.

I do find it interesting that Bolden, who was a left wing darling for a moment, is saying this absolutely didn't happen. I wonder if he'll be believed on this one?

Michael Cohen testified to Congress Trump claimed he wasn’t going to Vietnam, “You think I’m stupid?”

That was over 18 months ago. Long before this latest report.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:21 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Michael Cohen testified to Congress Trump claimed he wasn’t going to Vietnam, “You think I’m stupid?”

That was over 18 months ago. Long before this latest report.

OK, but this really doesn't support the story at hand.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 03:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If the story is being confirmed from the same source than absolutely anyone could report it as confirmed.  It may have happened, but it just seems very fishy to me.

Two former senior Trump administrators according to Fox News.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: OK, but this really doesn't support the story at hand.

It supports Trump’s attitude toward soldiers that die for their country or serve during wartime; they’re stupid. Just another way of describing suckers.

It’s part of a larger pattern of denigrating service members that makes this story totally believable.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It supports Trump’s attitude toward soldiers that die for their country or serve during wartime; they’re stupid. Just another way of describing suckers.

Ehh, not really.  Plenty of people did everything they could not to go to Vietnam, Bill Clinton included.  Again, he may have said it, but the Cohen quote doesn't really prove anything IMO.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ehh, not really.  Plenty of people did everything they could not to go to Vietnam, Bill Clinton included.  Again, he may have said it, but the Cohen quote doesn't really prove anything IMO.

It indicates Trump’s opinion of service members in conjunction with his many public insults toward service members past and present.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ehh, not really.  Plenty of people did everything they could not to go to Vietnam, Bill Clinton included.  Again, he may have said it, but the Cohen quote doesn't really prove anything IMO.

I probably have a different view of this than most because my father was drafted and he was very cynical about the whole thing and would say that he was stupid to get on the bus.  But hey, he went so he can rag on himself, I guess.
Reply/Quote