Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reformationstag
Okay, so a little break from all of the political talk around here. Today is a day many people know as Halloween, All Saints' Eve, All Hallows Eve, Samhain, whatever. This is also Reformation Day. We celebrated Reformation Sunday yesterday, but 31 October is the actual date.

On this day, 499 years ago, Martin Luther produced his 95 theses. Luther wasn't the first reformer, nor the last, but he had an undeniably large impact on the movement that came after him. He wasn't trying to create a new church, merely to address concerns he had with the one already in place. He wasn't a perfect man, he was both saint and sinner as we all are, but his influence is felt not just in religion but also in language as he is in part responsible for a unified German language.

This also kicks off a year long jubilee in Germany where places of significance to the reformation will be holding events leading up to the 500th anniversary. So lots going on.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the word about that. And don't forget, if you ever feel the devil tempting you, you can always be like Martin Luther and chase him away with a fart.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-31-2016, 10:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Okay, so a little break from all of the political talk around here. Today is a day many people know as Halloween, All Saints' Eve, All Hallows Eve, Samhain, whatever. This is also Reformation Day. We celebrated Reformation Sunday yesterday, but 31 October is the actual date.

On this day, 499 years ago, Martin Luther produced his 95 theses. Luther wasn't the first reformer, nor the last, but he had an undeniably large impact on the movement that came after him. He wasn't trying to create a new church, merely to address concerns he had with the one already in place. He wasn't a perfect man, he was both saint and sinner as we all are, but his influence is felt not just in religion but also in language as he is in part responsible for a unified German language.

This also kicks off a year long jubilee in Germany where places of significance to the reformation will be holding events leading up to the 500th anniversary. So lots going on.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the word about that. And don't forget, if you ever feel the devil tempting you, you can always be like Martin Luther and chase him away with a fart.

So we can thank him for a more unified Germany?

:paul:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-31-2016, 12:33 PM)Benton Wrote: So we can thank him for a more unified Germany?

No, just the language. The modern German language in Germany is a descendant of the dialect of Martin Luther, which was truthfully a small, relatively insignificant one at the time. He published the Bible in German so the people could read it and this caused a shift towards that dialect. But, this is also one reason why predominantly Catholic Switzerland and Austria have their own dialects, as well as the heavy regional differences in Bavaria compared to other areas of Germany.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Martin Luther is burning in hell along with all those he duped. Ninja
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-01-2016, 09:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Martin Luther is burning in hell along with all those he duped. Ninja
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about the Catholic church Wink
(11-01-2016, 09:59 AM)treee Wrote: Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about the Catholic church Wink

I play dartball in a church league.  Have for 33 years now.

We are the only Catholic church in the league and this past Monday we played a Lutheran church and their pastor (who is a younger guy and very nice) actually said to me (jokingly) that he told his teammates that he expected the Catholics to come in and beat them all three games because it was Reformation Day.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that all but maybe two of us even knew that it was or what it meant.

We lost all three games.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-03-2016, 09:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: I play dartball in a church league.  Have for 33 years now.

We are the only Catholic church in the league and this past Monday we played a Lutheran church and their pastor (who is a younger guy and very nice) actually said to me (jokingly) that he told his teammates that he expected the Catholics to come in and beat them all three games because it was Reformation Day.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that all but maybe two of us even knew that it was or what it meant.

We lost all three games.   Smirk
Now if only we could get Sunnis and Shiites on a softball field together
(11-03-2016, 11:09 AM)treee Wrote: Now if only we could get Sunnis and Shiites on a softball field together

Oh, they would play hardball.
(10-31-2016, 12:33 PM)Benton Wrote: So we can thank him for a more unified Germany?

There will be no laughing in this thread. Not even a smile (farting excluded as always).
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]