Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republicans hold pro forma sessions to prevent Trump recess appointments
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/345261-senate-blocks-trump-from-making-recess-appointments-over-break

The schedule was announced last week and the first pro forma session was held today. It lasted 30 seconds. Democrats threatened to filibuster any attempts to adjourn the Senate (it requires the passing of a resolution to do) as a way to prevent recess appointments by Trump. Apparently Republicans agree that he shouldn't, likely because they don't want him to replace Sessions as AG, so they agreed to a schedule of pro forma sessions to prevent it.

The Senate has to be out for 10 days for the President to make recess appointments. By coming in every 4-5 days to gavel in and then end their sessions without any legislation, the Senate does not technically go into recess. This is how they prevented Obama from nominating someone to SCOTUS.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Well, I'll be damned.

Give credit where it's due, Trump is getting Republicans and Democrats to work together. Like the alcoholic divorced parents of a crack addict who agree to show up long enough to make sure no one gets hurt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-08-2017, 03:14 PM)Benton Wrote: Well, I'll be damned.

Give credit where it's due, Trump is getting Republicans and Democrats to work together. Like the alcoholic divorced parents of a crack addict who agree to show up long enough to make sure no one gets hurt.

I was actually hoping when Trump got elected that this would actually become the norm. A common grounds over a mutual disdain.
Hannity won't be happy about this and I bet O'Reily has words as well. Then Waters and Tucker will make jokes while Cooper and Maddow play it off as some Republican ploy.