Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Return of Burfict looking bigger and bigger
Even though the Bengals are playing well I am still concerned about our LBs. In fact, right now they are my biggest concern.

When Burfict is healthy he is one of only two true superstars we have on our defense.

It is always good to get a great player back, but when his return also addresses the biggest weakness of the team that makes it even more important.

I don't expect Burfict to step right in a play like he did when he was 100% healthy, but I still think he will be a big upgrade to one of weakest position groups.
Reply/Quote
When do we think he'll be back? The first Steelers game is in week 8, right? I thought I heard he could be back by then. If he is really 100%...man oh man. I'm salivatin'.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think he was close to coming back already, but shelved because we didn't necessarily need him yet.

He should be near 100% when he gets back... probably like Geno last year.

He will be a good LB, but not the world killer he was previously... until next season :)

Hopefully I'm wrong and Burfict comes back full force.

He could be the springboard the Bengals need to launch themselves deep into the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
For as much hate as Rey M gets, I've been surprised by his play (good way, obviously).

Burfict should make our defense unbelievable, though, and I'm hoping that he'll be ok soon and just getting back up-to-strength and polishing his game so he's all world again when he gets back.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 07:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though the Bengals are playing well I am still concerned about our LBs.  In fact, right now they are my biggest concern.

When Burfict is healthy he is one of only two true superstars we have on our defense.  

It is always good to get a great player back, but when his return also addresses the biggest weakness of the team that makes it even more important.

I don't expect Burfict to step right in a play like he did when he was 100% healthy, but I still think he will be a big upgrade to one of weakest position groups.

I see no factual evidence backing up any of these random lies that you are telling.

J/K fred, I can't wait for him to be back, either!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 07:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: For as much hate as Rey M gets, I've been surprised by his play (good way, obviously).

Burfict should make our defense unbelievable, though, and I'm hoping that he'll be ok soon and just getting back up-to-strength and polishing his game so he's all world again when he gets back.

Rey M still whiffs now and then. Otherwise he has been a great run stopper. He plays better with Burfict out there for sure.... as do the rest of the team.
Reply/Quote
I heard Mark Shlereth and another former player discussing their experiences with microfacture surgery. Basically they make fractures or holes in the bone. This causes the growth of a tough type of scar tissue that serves the purpose of the cartilage that was removed. It acts as bit of a cushion to keep the bones from grinding directly against each other. It can take up to a year for the tissue to form, but at this point there is no greater risk of re-injury. It is just a question of how much pain he can take. I am guessing burfict has already broken through the pain barrier. He was just too far behind in his conditioning due to the time he had to take off from training.

Apparently it is becoming more common. When Schlereth had it it was still relatively new procedure. Today most players recover, but they will always be playing with some level of pain. Even if the scar tissue grows like it is supposed to it is not as effective as the original cartilage.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I heard Mark Shlereth and another former player discussing their experiences with microfacture surgery.  Basically they make fractures or holes in the bone.  This causes the growth of a tough type of scar tissue that serves the purpose of the cartilage that was removed.  It acts as bit of a cushion to keep the bones from grinding directly against each other.  It can take up to a year for the tissue to form, but at this point there is no greater risk of re-injury.  It is just a question of how much pain he can take.  I am guessing burfict has already broken through the pain barrier.  He was just too far behind in his conditioning due to the time he had to take off from training.

Apparently it is becoming more common.  When Schlereth had it it was still relatively new procedure.  Today most players recover, but they will always be playing with some level of pain.  Even if the scar tissue grows like it is supposed to it is not as effective as the original cartilage.

good read
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I heard Mark Shlereth and another former player discussing their experiences with microfacture surgery.  Basically they make fractures or holes in the bone.  This causes the growth of a tough type of scar tissue that serves the purpose of the cartilage that was removed.  It acts as bit of a cushion to keep the bones from grinding directly against each other.  It can take up to a year for the tissue to form, but at this point there is no greater risk of re-injury.  It is just a question of how much pain he can take.  I am guessing burfict has already broken through the pain barrier.  He was just too far behind in his conditioning due to the time he had to take off from training.

Apparently it is becoming more common.  When Schlereth had it it was still relatively new procedure.  Today most players recover, but they will always be playing with some level of pain.  Even if the scar tissue grows like it is supposed to it is not as effective as the original cartilage.

Dr. Fred
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:08 AM)Utts Wrote: Dr. Fred

I don't take credit for any of that.  I am just repeating what those guys said.
Reply/Quote
I just hope when Burfict does get back on the field he doesn't play with reckless abandon and gets hurt again.

Only problem with that though is the way Burfict plays the game, with reckless abandon, if he changes, he won't be as effective on the field.

Let's all hope and pray he is a smarter player and has a long, long career with the Cincinnati Bengals like that of Ray Lewis.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't take credit for any of that.  I am just repeating what those guys said.

Good info, but I'm hoping procedures and medications have improved to lessen pain and any other problems.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 07:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: For as much hate as Rey M gets, I've been surprised by his play (good way, obviously).

I call BULLSHIT.. Have you seen any games this year? I have seen him give up on at least a dozen plays and his tackling has been medioce at best. He needs motivated because his heart does not seem to be in it.

Reply/Quote
Burfict also has a Rey Lewis effect - people get killed ... No I mean he gets the defense super hyped up!!
Reply/Quote

thank you for that insider physician report..i seriously doubt u have any knowledge as to what is going on with BUrflict
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 07:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Rey M still whiffs now and then. Otherwise he has been a great run stopper. He plays better with Burfict out there for sure.... as do the rest of the team.

Our QB (Dalton) made one of the best inside backers miss last week.

Mosely was faked out of his shoes by a QB.

My point is these guys are pros, and they do get juked. Rey M. does miss running backs from time to time, but his responsibility is more than making the tackle, it is herding him back into the teeth of the defense as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Burfict's concussions are a greater concern than any of his appendages IMO.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 07:58 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I call BULLSHIT.. Have you seen any games this year? I have seen him give up on at least a dozen plays and his tackling has been medioce at best. He needs motivated because his heart does not seem to be in it.

He appears to be a leader on the defense and appears to be hustling his ass off to be in the right position, so, even if he misses a tackle, he still forces the ball carrier into a position where the rest of the D can finish the play.  

I haven't seen a problem with his tackling.

I've also never seen him give up on a play.
Reply/Quote
Opponents definitely feel his presence....

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mbb119e5bbabb6ad04785fb8da9582...=230&h=165]

What? Oh, come on! I'm just playin'!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 07:58 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I call BULLSHIT.. Have you seen any games this year? I have seen him give up on at least a dozen plays and his tackling has been medioce at best. He needs motivated because his heart does not seem to be in it
  Sorry but the only thing "BULLSHIT" is your post.  Rey Maualuga is 3rd on the team in tackles with 17 (puts him in top 50 of linebackers of NFL) in 3 games.. He also plays about 60 percent of the snaps not on the field 40 percent of the time. 
He is not a all pro.. but to say he is mediocre is not backed up by the stats for the three games played this year.  
Here are the links I used
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/totalTackles/qualified/false
Reply/Quote