Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Revisiting the Stains loss
Well since that game,the Bengals hit the reset Button on the bye week.The result? A comfortable win at the Raiders,and a blowout against the Steelers at home.That thrashing from the Browns may have been a blessing in disguise.Also,I’m really encouraged by the improved play of our OL.
Reply/Quote
Just about every talking head I hear is saying the Stains will be in the market for a Quarterback next season. I thought Mayfield was playing pretty good for them. What's the deal?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just about every talking head I hear is saying the Stains will be in the market for a Quarterback next season. I thought Mayfield was playing pretty good for them. What's the deal?

I'm really hoping they get back on the QB carousel.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just about every talking head I hear is saying the Stains will be in the market for a Quarterback next season. I thought Mayfield was playing pretty good for them. What's the deal?

My guess is he’s decent but not top tier but will still get a lot of money. Their offense is completely reliant on their two RBs and we know that they don’t have the longest shelf lives, and the dropoff seems to happen suddenly. What happens when Chubb can’t run like he does now?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 03:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I said in my underappreciated thread about the offensive adjustments, the reason we lost to the Jets and Browns is simple.

Defenses adjusted and started focusing Chase, but we hadn't adjusted ourselves. In the Browns game, Mixon only had 13 carries (for 64 yards and 2 scores). Without Chase, our pass offense isn't as dynamic, yet we were still throwing like it was (40 passes vs Cleveland).

Over the last 2 weeks, we've adjusted and have been feeding Mixon (30 and 28 carries), and targeting other WRs more.

Good post , and it seemed as if it has been somewhat of a trend for several defenses across the league since around that time.
Reply/Quote
With any luck... our final game this season against the Browns will be meaningless (playoff spot will be locked up) and the Bengals will be resting starters.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 03:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Without Chase, our pass offense isn't as dynamic, yet we were still throwing like it was (40 passes vs Cleveland).

In the first half of that game Burrow completed 70% of his passes for over 200 yards.

That is why we were throwing it so much.
Reply/Quote
On offense we need to deploy whatever strategy we used Sunday against Watt for Garrett and hope Clowny doesn’t go crazy.

On defense stop the run, make the easy tackles and make Baker beat us with his arm because he definitely ain’t running
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 03:14 PM)Whacked Wrote: Let’s not live in the past.

What’s done is done.

Water under the bridge.

Yada yada yada. I get it.

But that loss and AT HOME (!) still makes me scratch my head.

We got the same smack down that we just layeth on the Stoolers

What exactly happened? How can we make sure this doesn’t happen again - especially not the final game of the season where we will surely be needing a win.

This part is inaccurate.  pissburgh couldn't move the ball on the Bengals at all.  The Bengals moved the ball up and down the field, but then would self-destruct.  I think the poor defense was at least partly due to three consecutive road games the three prior teams.  Only one other team in the NFL had that, the Colts.  And in their third road game, they ironically also had a 12 point lead in the fourth (Bengals had 11 point lead in NY) only to lose it.  

The bye was much needed and they did some good self-scouting.  It was a game where everything went wrong, just like everything went right against pitt.

It is also the ONLY loss of the year by more than 3 points.  And look at the Browns now...unraveling.  Kareem Hunt's father is now on social media.  That teams is a turd storm and a perfect example of why culture matters. 
Reply/Quote
Three turnovers to zero, with one of them being a pick six to open the game. That's a bad recipe for winning in this league.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 08:26 PM)jason Wrote: Well that and Baker Mayfield suddenly becomes Dan Marino when he plays the Bengals. I also don't think it was terribly wise to go for it on 4th down, down one score, in the second quarter of a game in which we had not stopped their offense at all. There was still a lot of game left, but they blew the game open immediately after that.

Not so fun fact?

Baker is 6-1 against the Bengals, with a 113.8 passer rating.

Vs everyone else, he's 22-27 with with an 86.4 passer rating.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The past is the reality.. as we talk about shedding the Steelers domination after 3 wins in a row , we now face the Browns domination with Browns winning 6 of last 7 games. Mayfield has owned the Bengals and Burrow, we really need to win the final game this year
Reply/Quote
The key to the Browns game will be just like the Stealers game. Score first and keep the lead. Take the ball out of Chubb and Hunt's hands and make Mayfield throw.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 08:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: Three turnovers to zero, with one of them being a pick six to open the game. That's a bad recipe for winning in this league.

That's the 'ol proverbial "laying of the egg."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 11:47 AM)Tomkat Wrote: That's the 'ol proverbial "laying of the egg."

Indeed....laid one in Chi Town too with four turnovers, 3 consecutive INTs.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not so fun fact?

That's both sad and annoying as hell. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not so fun fact?

(12-02-2021, 12:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's both sad and annoying as hell. 

He's overdue to come back down to Earth... preferably in week 17.
Reply/Quote
You mean the Browns? I don't know of an NFL team named the 'Stains'.

The ONLY team named after their founder and coach?

(It's not the Green Bay Lombardis or the New England Belichicks.)
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You mean the Browns?  I don't know of an NFL team named the 'Stains'.

Ummm, I don't think you're gonna get many brownie-points (see what I did there?) around here... defending against the derogatory nicknames we give other teams...

Squeelers, Stealers, Shittsburgh, etc
Ratbirds, etc
Stains, etc
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You mean the Browns?  I don't know of an NFL team named the 'Stains'.

After the way they treated Paul Brown, they no longer deserve that name. The ****stains it will be forever.
Reply/Quote