Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rex Burkhead
We all know running the ball will be vital in Denver.

Hill has struggled, Gio has been Gio, any chance or thought given to handing the ball off to Rex for some designed plays or is he strictly a slot receiver now.

I was impressed last year in the New Orleans game when Rex was involved in the game plan.

Im not saying to not use Hill and Gio just throwing a wrinkle in our offense, any thoughts?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
My first thought is that if the OL can't get enough push for Gio to get to the edge, with all of his quickness, what makes you think that Burkhead would do any better?

That is not intended to be a knock on Rex, he is a fine athlete that is a 100% effort type of player. What I am leaning toward is; Until the OL gets pissed, and starts pushing some people around, the running/short passing game isn't going to do well no matter who is back there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As much of an unpopular thought it is I'd like Sanu to be thrown in some more in the backfield.

He should take a shot doing a few wildcat plays.

The downside to this is of course his atrocious "blocking" as of late.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My first thought is that if the OL can't get enough push for Gio to get to the edge, with all of his quickness, what makes you think that Burkhead would do any better?

That is not intended to be a knock on Rex, he is a fine athlete that is a 100% effort type of player.  What I am leaning toward is;  Until the OL gets pissed, and starts pushing some people around, the running/short passing game isn't going to do well no matter who is back there.
It's not just them... Even though they have been poor at times.

Especially Bodine.

The other blocking from receivers, running backs  and tight ends have not been very good either.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:53 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It's not just them... Even though they have been poor at times.

Especially Bodine.

The other blocking from receivers, running backs  and tight ends have not been very good either.

Agreed, the entire team needs to step up the blocking.  Speaking of, I can't seem to find any updates on Jake Fisher.  They seem to be missing him, as the 6th OL, lately. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:48 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: As much of an unpopular thought it is I'd like Sanu to be thrown in some more in the backfield.

He should take a shot doing a few wildcat plays.

The downside to this is of course his atrocious "blocking" as of late.

I love this idea and agree 100%, there should be 5 or so plays with Sanu lined up as QB

With that being said he is going to have to throw the ball at some point to keep the defense honest

We need all the wrinkles and tricks we can muster on the road Monday night!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My first thought is that if the OL can't get enough push for Gio to get to the edge, with all of his quickness, what makes you think that Burkhead would do any better?

That is not intended to be a knock on Rex, he is a fine athlete that is a 100% effort type of player.  What I am leaning toward is;  Until the OL gets pissed, and starts pushing some people around, the running/short passing game isn't going to do well no matter who is back there.

^this^ and as Rocker pointed out, the entire blocking scheme needs improving. Little about it looks 'inspired', plus having Gio pick up blitzes puts him in mis-matches often it seems. Everything looks like it's a 'bubble off', so to speak. 

Much has been written about how long this group has been together etc. Why they don't collectively play "pissed" every game is beyond me, especially after how obvious the need to ramp it up and keep it there is/has been for some time now. It's the NFL. You don't let up period, if you want the best shot at winning that is ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
If our O-line gets it together, anything can happen.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, the entire team needs to step up the blocking.  Speaking of, I can't seem to find any updates on Jake Fisher.  They seem to be missing him, as the 6th OL, lately. 

He suffered a concussion which has kept him out
Reply/Quote
I agree with the previous posts. The running backs aren't the problem. The blocking is.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:18 AM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I agree with the previous posts.  The running backs aren't the problem.  The blocking is.

Sssshhhhhhhh!  You're gonna piss off the Piano Man defenders! Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:21 AM)Wyche Wrote: Sssshhhhhhhh!  You're gonna piss off the Piano Man defenders! Wink

Suspiciously quiet from the other thread now.....

And for everyone wondering, issues on toss plays and getting the edge, usually comes from bad TE and WR blocking but shhhhh don't wanna piss off people who don't want to blame the superstars. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:16 AM)corpjet Wrote: He suffered a concussion which has kept him out

I understand that.  I had been looking for current updates, as to weather he's been cleared of the protocol yet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I understand that.  I had been looking for current updates, as to weather he's been cleared of the protocol yet.

He was taken off protocol the other day. Very likely is ready to go. 
Reply/Quote

There is a lot of common sense to these statements, however, you need to take in to consideration the pounding Gio has taken throughout this year.  Burkhead is seemingly very fresh and might offer a nice change of pace.  I keep reminding folks that a RBs agility and elusiveness are every bit as important if not more important than their speed.

Rex had the fastest short-shuttle in the entire draft the year he was selected.

I wouldn't take RB snaps away from Hill and Gio to get Rex in the game, though.  I would take away snaps from Sanu in the slot.  Sanu just seems to have disappeared and rarely generates any separation.  When playing Wes Welker for the scout team, the Bengals couldn't cover Rex.  

I did see one exchange from Hue directed toward Rex where he apparently didn't keep moving or ran the wrong assignment on a scramble play and Dalton just gave him a glare.  That, and the Seattle fumble (not entirely his fault) might be preventing him from getting more snaps.  

I think he could help this offense and I think he deserves a shot.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:49 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Suspiciously quiet from the other thread now.....

And for everyone wondering, issues on toss plays and getting the edge, usually comes from bad TE and WR blocking but shhhhh don't wanna piss off people who don't want to blame the superstars. 

Just like clockwork.... Smirk

I just posted there yesterday....PA wanted Bodine, can't coach him up, now here we sit.  Kyle Cook 2.0.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:51 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He was taken off protocol the other day. Very likely is ready to go. 

He has made a difference.  Will be nice to see him back in there.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Just like clockwork.... Smirk

I just posted there yesterday....PA wanted Bodine, can't coach him up, now here we sit.  Kyle Cook 2.0.

Kyle Cook was borderline pro-bowl for 2.5 years before injuries piled up.
Try again. 

You should really check it more often then. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:58 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Kyle Cook was borderline pro-bowl for 2.5 years before injuries piled up.
Try again. 

You should really check it more often then. 

That's a matter of opinion.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's a matter of opinion.

And non-objective viewing. 
He was never the problem until the injuries piled up. 

Revisionist history. 
Reply/Quote