Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rex Ryan: Burrow is a 'slam dunk, no-brainer'
(04-08-2020, 04:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'd feel better if Rex Ryan hadn't said this...

Called the Pats roster the worst it had ever been in years....and all they did that year was win a Super Bowl.

Next season, says the same thing about them....and they win their division again.

This guy has put his foot in his mouth a lot in his years, and his ability to evaluate a QB is...not good to say the least. Drafted Mark Sanchez, and Geno Smith to be his starters.

The guy knows football and is a great defensive mind, but as a head coach his offensive short comings are obvious.

Are you sure it was his foot?   Ninja LMAO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the bengals really needed to deal Andy for a few picks. They need more offensive firepower and a better RT and guard to give Burrow better offensive output this year. Empty sets means our OL needs to be better in pass pro and I’m not very excited about that situation right now.

Almost like we HAVE to trade 33. Even if a really good OL drops.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:05 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I think the bengals really needed to deal Andy for a few picks. They need more offensive firepower and a better RT and guard to give Burrow better offensive output this year. Empty sets means our OL needs to be better in pass pro and I’m not very excited about that situation right now.

Almost like we HAVE to trade 33. Even if a really good OL drops.

Can't trade Andy if no one wants to trade for him.

Trading 33 only happens if there isn't a player there worth that pick.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 08:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The greatest coach of all time drafted Ryan Mallet...

Good QB’s are really hard to find. Which is why we should take Joe Burrow and not think twice.

He also drafted  Cassel in the 7th round and traded him for KCs 2nd round pick (34th) a few years later. 

Drafted Grappalo in round 2 (64th) and traded him for SF rd 2 pick 43 a few years later as well. 

He hits and misses, but always looking for that next player to develop and trade as long as he's not needed on NE.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 07:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Not saying he is wrong, but when his idea of good QB play is Sanchez and Geno Smith.... I really would prefer he not say anything lol.

If Any Reid said this, or any of the QB whisperer head coaches, that would be better than Rex.

Rex is a defensive mind but even he can see Burrow is the slam dunk no brainer pick while some do not....

Ninja 

(04-08-2020, 07:53 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: The Burrow train won't be derailed.

(04-08-2020, 08:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Joe
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He also drafted  Cassel in the 7th round and traded him for KCs 2nd round pick (34th) a few years later. 

Drafted Grappalo in round 2 (64th) and traded him for SF rd 2 pick 43 a few years later as well. 

He hits and misses, but always looking for that next player to develop and trade as long as he's not needed on NE.

Right. Point is even the best draft QB’s that don’t work out. To hold Sanchez and Geno Smith against Rex Ryan, at least to the point of not valuing his opinion on QB’s, is silly.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rex is a defensive mind but even he can see Burrow is the slam dunk no brainer pick while some do not....

Ninja 

Joe

I get it I get it....

Look, I even ate my crow and said I was wrong, I'm just still....nervous is all. That's it. I think the kid is good, and he has talent, I just have my concerns and no one has been able to address those at all. Once, he is in the fold, I'll be cheering for him to succeed, I just hope my fears are all for nothing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:19 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I get it I get it....

Look, I even ate my crow and said I was wrong, I'm just still....nervous is all. That's it. I think the kid is good, and he has talent, I just have my concerns and no one has been able to address those at all. Once, he is in the fold, I'll be cheering for him to succeed, I just hope my fears are all for nothing.

Rock On Murdock  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 08:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But since we’re posting useless facts about a mediocre QB that hasn’t played in years, here’s one for you: Mark Sanchez has 4 playoff wins. That’s more than any QB we’ve ever had.

He won all of those games in '09 and '10.

2009 Jets.  #1 defense, #1 rushing offense, #31 pass offense
2010 Jets.  #3 defense, #4 rushing offense, #22 pass offense

I'll give Sanchez credit for not playing poorly in the postseason, but the defense and run game carried those teams
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He won all of those games in '09 and '10.

2009 Jets.  #1 defense, #1 rushing offense, #31 pass offense
2010 Jets.  #3 defense, #4 rushing offense, #22 pass offense

I'll give Sanchez credit for not playing poorly in the postseason, but the defense and run game carried those teams

Absolutely.  They asked him to make a few throws a game and most of them were to TE's.  Dustin Keller was their leading receiver.  They also had an excellent OLine and being such a great running team, Sanchez was making a lot of his throws in play action.  Andy Dalton would have been an absolute star on that team.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 04:20 PM)McC Wrote: Absolutely.  They asked him to make a few throws a game and most of them were to TE's.  Dustin Keller was their leading receiver.  They also had an excellent OLine and being such a great running team, Sanchez was making a lot of his throws in play action.  Andy Dalton would have been an absolute star on that team.  

Sanchez:

4-2 60.51 cmp% 1155 yds 9 TD 3 INT 94.3 Rate 1 fmb

Dalton:

0-4 55.70 cmp% 873 yds 1 TD 6 INT 57.8 rate 4 fmb

Credit the Jets defense, or OL, or whatever other excuses you want, but the fact is Sanchez played well in the playoffs, and Dalton shit the bed. Every. Single. Time.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 04:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sanchez:

4-2 60.51 cmp% 1155 yds 9 TD 3 INT 94.3 Rate 1 fmb

Dalton:

0-4 55.70 cmp% 873 yds 1 TD 6 INT 57.8 rate 4 fmb

Credit the Jets defense, or OL, or whatever other excuses you want, but the fact is Sanchez played well in the playoffs, and Dalton shit the bed. Every. Single. Time.
My bad for thinking a strong defense and a powerful running game wins playoff games.

List all the Bengal playoff games in which Dalton played where we were able to even run a little bit.  Or the defense stepped up either.  My memory is we couldn't run worth a damn and the defense got run all over.

We had one playoff game where AJ Green spent the entire first half being a decoy.

Andy wasn't good but come on, the entire team shit the bed.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 04:59 PM)McC Wrote: My bad for thinking a strong defense and a powerful running game wins playoff games.

List all the Bengal playoff games in which Dalton played where we were able to even run a little bit.  Or the defense stepped up either.  My memory is we couldn't run worth a damn and the defense got run all over.

We had one playoff game where AJ Green spent the entire first half being a decoy.

Andy wasn't good but come on, the entire team shit the bed.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it was never Andy’s fault. Silly me for ever expecting a franchise QB to elevate the guys around him, and his team in general. I guess in retrospect we should have treated him more like a game manager type and not asked too much out of him. Well, maybe to be a little better than 1 TD 6 INT’s...

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 04:38 PM)McC Wrote: To me, the biggest shortcoming Rex has as a HC is that his act has a shelf life.  He's great at coming in and turning things around for you but after a few years, his whole schtick wears out and he has to go.  

So he's Marvin?  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 05:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So he's Marvin?  Ninja

Rex wears out in two to four years.  Marvin, apparently, takes sixteen.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 05:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, yeah, I know, it was never Andy’s fault. Silly me for ever expecting a franchise QB to elevate the guys around him, and his team in general. I guess in retrospect we should have treated him more like a game manager type and not asked too much out of him. Well, maybe to be a little better than 1 TD 6 INT’s...

Okay.  Fine.  Youch.

Reply/Quote