Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rich Men North of Richmond
(08-19-2023, 11:42 AM)Dill Wrote: Agreed. Also the animus against "welfare queens" is not limited to Appalachia.

It is an animus which cripples politics in favor of working folks though.   

Good articles from the NYorker and Atlantic. 

Always fun to watch people so eager to fight the culture war and unwilling to acknowledge class warfare.  

People from the upper middle class and down have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the actual rich.  The have to be divided and conquered in order to keep them from realizing the power they could wield together.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:26 PM)samhain Wrote: Always fun to watch people so eager to fight the culture war and unwilling to acknowledge class warfare.  

People from the upper middle class and down have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the actual rich.  The have to be divided and conquered in order to keep them from realizing the power they could wield together.

Yeah. That's not accidental.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 06:11 PM)samhain Wrote: It's weird how one of the first things he laments in the song is his shitty wage at work yet the right still claims the song as an anthem.  The right hates people who ***** about shitty wages and push for increases.

When I first moved back to SE Ohio from NC two years ago, I felt like I was actually going to get ahead a little.  They came damn close to matching my salary from NC and I was putting a couple hundred into savings every week.  Now, after 2 long years of harsh inflation, I'm back to maybe putting a couple hundred into savings each month, as opposed to each week.  So when a guy wants to b***h about working hard for "bullshit" pay, I can kinda feel where he's coming from on that one.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 04:00 PM)pally Wrote:

I like the song and the message. The dude sings his heart out and deserves the praise he is getting. As far as the debate, the context wasn't there as the tweet describes. The candidates were asked about why they feel Americans relate to this song so much. It was not pointing to the Dems. If it's being claimed by the GOP outside the debate, this is the first I've heard of it. And yes, He was singing about those people. Those people are all politicians who get rich off the backs of Americans. There was no R or D mentioned in the song.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Seinfeld sucks.  Smirk

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7uldmx2jaii8aglx29i...y.gif&ct=g]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 03:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nope. Musically, he is more like Hank Jr. Politically, he would probably consider Aldean a part of the problem being someone who foments the division (just my speculation, not saying he has said that or even hinted at it). He also turned down a big music deal because he isn't looking for that life whereas that is what Aldean was after.

Edit to add: he has stated that he is pretty much dead center on politics in a video posted the day before his viral single dropped.

(08-18-2023, 04:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, it has been all over my socials since it went viral...and I still haven't heard it.

Unfortunately it got the "right wing anthem" treatment right away.

Maybe I'll accidentally hear it at some point, but I'm sure one my right-wing relatives will INSIST it be played at a football watching party and tell me how great it represents what liberals are doing to 'murica.

For the reason alone I'd rather not even know the song and will avoid it...lol...even if that is not true about it.

Lastly I have always been that guy who just wont get swept up in fads, viral things, "must see" things, etc.  So anytime something like this is all over the news you can bet I'm out.   Smirk

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 05:42 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7uldmx2jaii8aglx29i...y.gif&ct=g]

Seinfeld.

He's not funny and the show's only original thought was to make the stars as unlikeable as possible.

It has it's moments and and George had the best lines. But once Larry David left and Jerry's ego wasn't checked it was just him cashing checks until his gf graduated HS.

Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Seinfeld sucks. 

Some things never change.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
Another day, another musician telling right-wing d-bags to stop misappropriating his songs.  I will say this is as least less bass akwards than Trump coming out to CCR's Fortunate Son.

Shameless self promotion, but 10+ years ago I was in a band and we did a song called "Happy Dog" which I wrote as a snarky sort of joke about my buddy's parent's anxiety-riddled jack russel terrier.  A few years ago I started getting royalty checks out of nowhere (nothing huge, but enough that Uncle Sam gets a yearly cut) because tik tok and Instagram is full of reels or whatever they are called where people put the song clip on happy videos of their dogs. There is even a photo slide show of what looks like a girls dog-theme birthday party with the song clip over it.  The lyrics from the clip go:

He's a happy dog (bark bark bark)
He's a happy dog the kind you might wanna keep.

So let's cut off his nuts and in 10 years we'll put him to sleep

It's a bouncy and fun joke song, but I'll say the most validating thing of all is that of all the songs I've written and recorded this one that took 5 minutes to write as a joke is the only one anyone cares about, and people completely misinterpret it and can't be arsed to look beyond the title.  It's glorious.  Ocasationally someone in the comments section will say something like "WTF, did they say at the end?"

Hopefully the RNC decides it totally defines the anti-trans movement or something.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2023, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Seinfeld sucks.  Smirk

It all now just kind of makes sense. LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 08:47 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: It all now just kind of makes sense. LOL

How so?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 09:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: Seinfeld.

He's not funny and the show's only original thought was to make the stars as unlikeable as possible.

It has it's moments and and George had the best lines. But once Larry David left and Jerry's ego wasn't checked it was just him cashing checks until his gf graduated HS.

Cool
I didn't watch it until it was in syndication. I primarily like George and the tertiary characters.

Reply/Quote
Sorry, can't let that pass without a thumbs down LOL

(08-19-2023, 06:15 PM)samhain Wrote: I like metal.  Classic, thrash, even progressive to a large extent.  Nu Metal just sucks.  Nu Metal is to metal what Insane Clown Posse is to rap.

Nu Metal is NOT metal, nor has it ever claimed to be: it is a label that using metal heads have used to discredit the genre since it became a thing.

Nu Metal is a branch of Alternative, always has been, always will be:

- no solos
- extra strings on guitars and basses
- themes of abuse, relationship struggles, acceptance, in the lyrics
- infusion of rap-style singing and lyrics form
- a complete alternative to mainstream music and culture (which is ironic, as it became THE mainstream genre for a few years, ultimately a root cause of why it was hated).

All of those elements are so ANTI-metal, it's ridiculous lol.

Anyways, time has been kinder to the genre than it was received in 2003, after it had been around for 5-6 years and it isn't cool anymore, nor is it perceived in good musical taste (as people such as Sam Rivers, Jon Otto, David Silveria, James Schaefer and more) are now reflected on as being musicians at the top of their game back then and currently) , to shit on Nu Metal anymore.

So yeah, once one comes to the realisation that it isn't and never was, "metal," it puts things into perspective.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 05:42 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7uldmx2jaii8aglx29i...y.gif&ct=g]

It DOES suck. A sophomorically-written, boring show with nothing even inherently redeeming or entertaining: show about nothing indeed.

Now Fawlty Towers, there's witicisim with genuine laughs and a bit of slapstick thrown in for good measure, it truly is the best sitcom ever made.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I've heard the song and familiar with the discussion surrounding it.

If he just didn't have that lyric about Fudge Rounds, I think the left would have fully and completely embraced him, because his message is a pretty good critique of capitalism and the people it leaves behind (miners and other rural working classes in particular), even if he doesn't realize that is the root cause of the problems he and his friends/family are experiencing. But his resentment towards "the obese milking welfare" makes it tough to do that.

It seems to me like he's fairly close to a "small government conservative."

That's the best way I reconcile his feelings towards politicians and taxes and his feelings towards welfare despite his (perhaps unintentional) critique of capitalism.

He's got the class consciousness down. We just need to work on getting him to understand what has led to the struggle that the working class in this country face :).
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 08:45 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I've heard the song and familiar with the discussion surrounding it.

If he just didn't have that lyric about Fudge Rounds, I think the left would have fully and completely embraced him, because his message is a pretty good critique of capitalism and the people it leaves behind (miners and other rural working classes in particular), even if he doesn't realize that is the root cause of the problems he and his friends/family are experiencing. But his resentment towards "the obese milking welfare" makes it tough to do that.

It seems to me like he's fairly close to a "small government conservative."

That's the best way I reconcile his feelings towards politicians and taxes and his feelings towards welfare despite his (perhaps unintentional) critique of capitalism.

He's got the class consciousness down. We just need to work on getting him to understand what has led to the struggle that the working class in this country face :).

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a Little Debbie snack cake have to do with anything?  I haven't heard the song, but I can't see how a Fudge Rounds reference riles up the left.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 11:26 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but what does a Little Debbie snack cake have to do with anything?  I haven't heard the song, but I can't see how a Fudge Rounds reference riles up the left.

The lyric is:

Quote:Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat
And the obese milkin' welfare

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds

Basically, the left would object to victim blaming people on welfare/govenment assistance programs for being overweight when the problem, in their (our) viewpoint, is systemic. There are plenty of reports about how food stamps/SNAP are used on less healthy foods because unhealthy foods are cheaper on a calorie to dollar basis than healthy things like fruits and vegetables (especially fresh fruit and vegetables).

Sorry for the vague reference.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 11:31 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The lyric is:

Basically, the left would object to victim blaming people on welfare/govenment assistance programs for being overweight when the problem, in their (our) viewpoint, is systemic. There are plenty of reports about how food stamps/SNAP and WIC etc are used on less healthy foods because unhealthy foods are cheaper on a calorie to dollar basis than healthy things like fruits and vegetables (especially fresh fruit and vegetables).

Sorry for the vague reference.

Thank you for the clarification.  I rather read that as saying that the government shouldn't be paying for unhealthy food for already unhealthy people.  Essentially, that EBT/SNAP shouldn't be able to be used for junk food.  It sounds much more like a statement that the government is enabling, if not encouraging, unhealthy behavior.  I guess it doesn't take much for people to read a partisan message anymore, right or left.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 11:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you for the clarification.  I rather read that as saying that the government shouldn't be paying for unhealthy food for already unhealthy people.  Essentially, that EBT/SNAP shouldn't be able to be used for junk food.  It sounds much more like a statement that the government is enabling, if not encouraging, unhealthy behavior.  I guess it doesn't take much for people to read a partisan message anymore, right or left.

If he didn't use the word "milkin'" I would agree with your interpretation.

Milking, to me, has a very negative connotation that implies the person is abusing the system, not the other way around.

Like I said, I largely agree with the sentiment of the song and think he's on the right track. That line just stuck out as kind of...the reverse of the rest of the song. The song is almost entirely about how government (or similarly powerful systems like corporations) is abusing people in one way or another, and then he sneaks in this line implying fat people are abusing a government assistance program, it threw me off.
Reply/Quote