Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right side of line WILL lose us games
If that's how Ogbehi and Zeitler are gonna play then one or both need to be benched.

And side note Zeitler needs to accept whatever contract we have on the table because he's gonna get exposed without a good RT with him and his value is gonna go way down
Reply/Quote
This is actually a good point but I think there are several things Paul Alexander can do to mitigate problems.  First, he can make the right side the strong side by either lining up an extra tackle or by keeping the tight end on that side.  Alternatively, Ryan Hewitt could get some snaps at fullback behind the right side of the offensive line to shore up any leaks.  I worry more about the leaking offensive line during run blocking because the Steelers' linebackers are coached to shoot any gaps and catch runners behind the line as much as possible. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's hard to blame big Z for being smooshed between a shit sandwich last week. I mean, we know what Bodine can/CANT do.. and Ogb is young and getting his feet wet for the first time. Big Z has to somehow mask BOTH their deficiencies.... kinda makes Z look bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's hard to blame big Z for being smooshed between a shit sandwich last week. I mean, we know what Bodine can/CANT do.. and Ogb is young and getting his feet wet for the first time. Big Z has to somehow mask BOTH their deficiencies.... kinda makes Z look bad.

I feel this way for the most part. Bodine was a turnstyle and Og was making his first start.

Og should only improve but Bodine needs to have a fire lit under his ass. No more preferential treatment from PA.

Not saying Zeit didn't play bad but he has played great before so we know he can.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 09:58 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is actually a good point but I think there are several things Paul Alexander can do to mitigate problems.  First, he can make the right side the strong side by either lining up an extra tackle or by keeping the tight end on that side.  Alternatively, Ryan Hewitt could get some snaps at fullback behind the right side of the offensive line to shore up any leaks.  I worry more about the leaking offensive line during run blocking because the Steelers' linebackers are coached to shoot any gaps and catch runners behind the line as much as possible. 

Yeah, if Kroft isn't ready to go I'm actually fine with Fisher lining up at TE often for this very important road game.  CJ did alright, but I go with the lesser evil of having one less target on the field...which isn't entirely true as Fisher has shown he can catch a football.  Yeah, move Hewitt around a lot and use Fisher at least half the game if they aren't going to shakeup the line at all.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 09:52 AM)Housh Wrote: If that's how Ogbehi and Zeitler are gonna play then one or both need to be benched.

And side note Zeitler needs to accept whatever contract we have on the table because he's gonna get exposed without a good RT with him and his value is gonna go way down

By this assessment, Bodine and Boling should also be benched
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Literally, all of the garbage was from Zeitler and Bodine; the rest of the line was fine (Ogbuehi was picking up stunts and only gave up 1 sack).

Not worried about the other three.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:54 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah, if Kroft isn't ready to go I'm actually fine with Fisher lining up at TE often for this very important road game.  CJ did alright, but I go with the lesser evil of having one less target on the field...which isn't entirely true as Fisher has shown he can catch a football.  Yeah, move Hewitt around a lot and use Fisher at least half the game if they aren't going to shakeup the line at all.  

This sounds about right to me. I wonder what P.A. thinks about it? Sad
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Literally, all of the garbage was from Zeitler and Bodine; the rest of the line was fine (Ogbuehi was picking up stunts and only gave up 1 sack).

I also blame Zampese for lack of run game. There were lanes, just chose to air it out a lot.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I also blame Zampese for lack of run game. There were lanes, just chose to air it out a lot.

When the O-line is allowing that kind of penetration the OC doesn't have a lot of choice.  He took what they gave us and we won.  They were stuffing us in the first half.  Couldn't run to save our lives.  If not for Andy and his receivers this game would have been an ugly loss.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's hard to blame big Z for being smooshed between a shit sandwich last week. I mean, we know what Bodine can/CANT do.. and Ogb is young and getting his feet wet for the first time. Big Z has to somehow mask BOTH their deficiencies.... kinda makes Z look bad.

Zeitler definitely had some problems on Sunday, but it reminded me of Bobbie Williams in 2008 a little bit. We had always known Bobbie to be a great guard for us. However he struggled in 08 and a lot of people put that on him as his age getting to him. Then you realize that he was playing in between Ghiaciuc and Stacy Andrews. Two guys who were ranked near the bottom in their position rankings, according to PFF. Suddenly he plays in between a better center and RT in 09 and looks like his old self.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:53 PM)3wt Wrote: When the O-line is allowing that kind of penetration the OC doesn't have a lot of choice.  He took what they gave us and we won.  They were stuffing us in the first half.  Couldn't run to save our lives.  If not for Andy and his receivers this game would have been an ugly loss.

What are you talking about? They ran 5 times in the first half compared to 25 passes. Hill had 4 YPC in the first half. Lanes were definitely there.

Zampese's lack of run game led to sacks. Dalton was certainly rattled in the first half. He threw a poor INT and missed 2 TD passes to Uzomah due to being rattled.

https://twitter.com/RoyleRedlegs/status/775449302143471616

https://twitter.com/RoyleRedlegs/status/775440720362635264

There's 3 of the 9 run plays with Hill. There's certainly running lanes. And he also scored a TD, not in those tweets.

In this video, if Ogubehi stays engaged with the defender, it's 6.

https://twitter.com/RoyleRedlegs/status/775448877965139968

That's 4 running plays where Hill had lanes, and obviously you've seen the TD.

The best way to slow down a pass rush is with the run game. Bengals didn't do that because they abandoned the run early.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:38 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: What are you talking about? They ran 5 times in the first half compared to 25 passes. Hill had 4 YPC in the first half. Lanes were definitely there.

Zampese's lack of run game led to sacks. Dalton was certainly rattled in the first half. He threw a poor INT and missed 2 TD passes to Uzomah due to being rattled.

https://twitter.com/RoyleRedlegs/status/775449302143471616

There's 3 of the 9 run plays with Hill. There's certainly running lanes. And he also scored a TD, not in those tweets.

In this video, if Ogubehi stays engaged with the defender, it's 6.

https://twitter.com/RoyleRedlegs/status/775448877965139968

That's 4 running plays where Hill had lanes, and obviously you've seen the TD.

The best way to slow down a pass rush is with the run game. Bengals didn't do that because they abandoned the run early.
Actually the best way to slow down a pass rush are screens, all teams do not run the same schemes every play, down and distance and formations can adjust how a team is going to setup.. if you notice many times during the game, the Jets were really putting men in gaps and covering the center at times, so running between guards was proving difficult... 

You might question the run to pass ratio but in the end, we totalled over 425 yards and 23 points against a very good defense, so we won the war but lost a few battles,  I would rather win the war...  Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 09:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually the best way to slow down a pass rush are screens, all teams do not run the same schemes every play, down and distance and formations can adjust how a team is going to setup.. if you notice many times during the game, the Jets were really putting men in gaps and covering the center at times, so running between guards was proving difficult... 

You might question the run to pass ratio but in the end, we totalled over 425 yards and 23 points against a very good defense, so we won the war but lost a few battles,  I would rather win the war...  Wink

So did you watch any of those videos or just going by assessment? Also they were sniffing out screen passes. So that wasn't helping lol.

Screen passes don't always slow down the pass rush. Actually running the ball does. And did you see how in some of those videos where Hill ran outside of had guards pulling? Or just, again, making an argument based on assessments rather than looking at what I posted. Because every single one of those shows that there were run lanes.

Awesome, glad they won. But you're allowed to critique things. I'm choosing to critique the fact that Zampese abandoned the run game extremely early which led to Dalton getting rattled early and often.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I also blame Zampese for lack of run game. There were lanes, just chose to air it out a lot.

I have been saying this ever since we were told it was gonna be a run heavy offense by the "experts". Zampese comes from. An air raid offense so he is gonna air it out a lot... I expect dalton to get close to 5000 yards this year and i expect an 80/20 split passing running.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 05:22 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I have been saying this ever since we were told it was gonna be a run heavy offense by the "experts". Zampese comes from. An air raid offense so he is gonna air it out a lot... I expect dalton to get close to 5000 yards this year and i expect an 80/20 split passing running.
LOL

You have no idea what you're talking about LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 09:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually the best way to slow down a pass rush are screens, all teams do not run the same schemes every play, down and distance and formations can adjust how a team is going to setup.. if you notice many times during the game, the Jets were really putting men in gaps and covering the center at times, so running between guards was proving difficult... 

Great take on the game.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Literally, all of the garbage was from Zeitler and Bodine; the rest of the line was fine (Ogbuehi was picking up stunts and only gave up 1 sack).

This is what I felt like I watched last Sunday.
Reply/Quote
I just hope the center does not get our franchise quarterback hurt.

As for Zampese abandoning the run too early, maybe it's time to admit this is not a run first team. I always used to read that Gruden was not committed to the run, then it was Hue, now it is already Zampese. It's a pass happy league, and we have a quarterback who has shown he can handle the pressure of the game being on his shoulders.
Reply/Quote
I realize that it's easy to project doom and gloom, but I think this line will be much better moving forward.

I think Zeitler and Ced will be just fine and as they play together they will get much better as a duo.

That being said, I am still horrified that the Bengals did not address the C situation in the offseason. THAT will cost us games.
Reply/Quote