Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring of Honor nominees
(05-06-2021, 11:48 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm pulling for Ken Riley and Chad Johnson.

Amending my post.

I think it should be the two Kens: Anderson and Riley.

I think the vote becomes a popularity contest of more recent memory and Johnson gets in.

I went with Riley because I think he's most deserving of being in the NFL HoF & Johnson is my all time fav Bengal player (until Burrow wins us a Super Bowl that is).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd go with Chad and Ken Anderson. KA and Riley pre-date my time so I can't confidently go with either one, but KA gets the call if we're trying to promote his candidacy for the HOF.

Chad deserves to go in as much for marketing purposes as anything else. The best way to give the Ring some exposure is to use familiar names, and he's at the top of the list. I also wouldn't discount his role in rescuing the team from the abyss. That's one thing he has on all the candidates, including Munoz and PB. The decade+ before Chad got here was a complete debacle and felt like it would go on forever. There were a lot of people who helped turn the corner, but he's the best representative. And I loved watching him play.
Reply/Quote
Ken Anderson and Big Willie!
Reply/Quote
Has to be the old timers. Crime if it isn't.
Reply/Quote
Ken & Ken.
Next year Issac Curtis and Krumrie.
Reply/Quote
WTH is Dave Lapham a nominee?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Thinking w heart and recency bias, I’d pick Chad, but Riley and Ken Anderson feels like the next two that should get in.
Reply/Quote
Kinda surprised Eddie Edwards did not get nominated. I know someone had to get snubbed, but he's the all-time sack leader, top 20 in games played, on a Super Bowl team.
Reply/Quote
All-time team. Some jump out. Some I'd need more data.

QB: Anderson; Esiason, Dalton.
RB: Brooks; Dillon, P. Johnson
WR: Chad, AJ, Curtis; CC, Pickens, Housh (Eddie Brown?)
TE: Trumpy; ???
OT: Munoz, Willie; Whit
OG: Montoya, ???
C: Bob Johnson;

Defense:
DE: Edwards, Dunlap
DT: Krumrie, Atkins
OLB: R. Williams
ILB: LeClair
S: Fulcher, Casanova
CB: Riley, Parrish, ???

Specials:
PK: Breech
P: Huber
PR/KR: Parrish
LS: Harris
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 03:25 PM)tms Wrote: I'd go with Chad and Ken Anderson. KA and Riley pre-date my time so I can't confidently go with either one, but KA gets the call if we're trying to promote his candidacy for the HOF.

Chad deserves to go in as much for marketing purposes as anything else. The best way to give the Ring some exposure is to use familiar names, and he's at the top of the list. I also wouldn't discount his role in rescuing the team from the abyss. That's one thing he has on all the candidates, including Munoz and PB. The decade+ before Chad got here was a complete debacle and felt like it would go on forever. There were a lot of people who helped turn the corner, but he's the best representative. And I loved watching him play.

I really only remember the tail end of Riley's career, but I'll tell ya this... His game would basically be illegal nowadays, and he's still something like 5th in interceptions, and hasn't played in damn near 4 decades. To hell with the Ring of Honor; it's a travesty he's not inducted in Canton.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The Ken's !!!

It's a travesty neither are in Canton imho

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
These responses restore my faith in humanity and confirm the wisdom of this Board. Anderson and Riley, without a doubt. Only the fact they spent their careers in Cincinnati is keeping them out of Canton. Maybe inclusion in the Bengals ROH might influence the pro football HOF voters -- and oh yeah, shame on them. It is unforgivable that if/when the Rattler gets into Canton it will be after his death.
Reply/Quote
Love Ocho and Boomer. But I gotta vote Ken and Ken. Both are HOF guys.
Who Dey
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 06:19 PM)jason Wrote: I really only remember the tail end of Riley's career, but I'll tell ya this... His game would basically be illegal nowadays, and he's still something like 5th in interceptions, and hasn't played in damn near 4 decades. To hell with the Ring of Honor; it's a travesty he's not inducted in Canton.

If the ultimate goal is to get them into Canton, I think it's that much more important that they be inducted into the Ring of Honor alongside a star like Chad who has some league-wide notoriety. The only people making the HOF case for Ken Anderson (for that matter, Riley) are Cincy-based. Those campaigns are self-contained; they're living under a shoe. You have to give the rest of the country a chance to see them. Historically, the Bengals' marketing efforts have been putrid, and as long as that's true it would help to have an ambassador to lead the way. 

I'm not saying Chad's the secret potion lol. Far from it. But he would at least inspire some mainstream coverage of the event. In the end, you gotta get people talking about these players, and Chad is better than anyone at getting people talking.
Reply/Quote
So, the vote is limited to season ticket holders?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 07:31 PM)tms Wrote: If the ultimate goal is to get them into Canton, I think it's that much more important that they be inducted into the Ring of Honor alongside a star like Chad who has some league-wide notoriety. The only people making the HOF case for Ken Anderson (for that matter, Riley) are Cincy-based. Those campaigns are self-contained; they're living under a shoe. You have to give the rest of the country a chance to see them. Historically, the Bengals' marketing efforts have been putrid, and as long as that's true it would help to have an ambassador to lead the way. 

I'm not saying Chad's the secret potion lol. Far from it. But he would at least inspire some mainstream coverage of the event. In the end, you gotta get people talking about these players, and Chad is better than anyone at getting people talking.

My intial thought was Chad and Riley... Pretty much for the reasons I laid out for Riley, and those you laid out for Chad... Then there's the whole all time leader thing for Chad too. I honestly think Corey should go in sooner than he probably will too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Smile 
Gotta start with Ken Anderson and Ken Riley. After that, you can go with Boomer and Chad. After that, Willie and Jim Breech.

The rest in some order past that.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 05:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTH is Dave Lapham a nominee?

He was good but Ring of Honor good?
Only explanation I can come up with is they're including his announcing career as well. Guy's the biggest homer I've heard on the mic since Nuxhall. He's not the greatest but damned if I don't love listening to him.
Reply/Quote
The two Kens, no doubt about it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I don't know why they're only allowing four in initially. I think a minimum of ten players should be included. The Bengals have been around for over 50 years after all.
Reply/Quote