Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring of honor
(04-08-2021, 11:37 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Kevin Kaesviharn finally going to have his day

Well he was pretty sick in the matrix.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Glad to see our all time greats honored. It's about time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No need to dwell on the past as a mistake for not having done this earlier, it's cool they are finally honoring the team legends. It was a cool video.

Edit: I'm old enough to have been alive for both Super Bowls (only old enough to remember the second one); therefore, I appreciate the historical greats for this team, but I'm voting Chad. He made being a Bengals fan fun.
Reply/Quote
We knew it was coming but it's still pretty cool. The vid was very well done.

Ken and Ken have to go in first with PB and Munoz.

IMO, the tiers. Please educate me when i forget to include someone, which i undoubtedly will. 

Tier 1:
Anderson
Riley
Both of these guys should already be in the HoF.

Tier 2:
W. Anderson
Dillon
Both of these guys should (and hopefully will) be in the HoF.

Tier 3:
C Johnson
Curtis
L Parrish
Esiason
These guys at least could argue for induction.

Then you have a bunch of other guys that did well and put up numbers for some time. I'm not going to list them here right now until i see them posted later.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's reasonable to think they don't want to front-load all the guys all at once.
They can make a yearly event out of this and induct a few people each time.

Yep. You can add a couple each year for, say the next 5 years to get the easy ones in. From that point, it just becomes a debate.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Wonderful addition and great list of upcoming inductees. I’m really excited about this. I’m not going to be upset if this doesn’t happen, but I think down the road after the big name guys have been inducted, Andy Dalton needs to be put in there. He is the franchise leader in several categories, was the QB for a long period of time and produced over a quarter of the Bengals playoff appearances. It would be strange to not include someone who has all of these franchise records and statistics, even if he was never really a top flight player.
Reply/Quote
Finally...Yes...there are players all the back to 1968 who might finally get recognized!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 12:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: We knew it was coming but it's still pretty cool. The vid was very well done.

Ken and Ken have to go in first with PB and Munoz.

IMO, the tiers. Please educate me when i forget to include someone, which i undoubtedly will. 

Tier 1:
Anderson
Riley
Both of these guys should already be in the HoF.

Tier 2:
W. Anderson
Dillon
Both of these guys should (and hopefully will) be in the HoF.

Tier 3:
C Johnson
Curtis
L Parrish
Esiason
These guys at least could argue for induction.

Then you have a bunch of other guys that did well and put up numbers for some time. I'm not going to list them here right now until i see them posted later.
I think you have to add guys like Krumrie, Eddie Brown, James Brooks, Icky, Pete Johnson, Reggie Williams, David Fulcher

I mean those guys can all be Tier 3 as well, because just from the teams in the 80's i remember these were the stars.  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:30 AM)jason Wrote: I see no point in excluding any of those guys from the inaugural class. Do other teams vote on this kind of thing?  That seems sorta silly to me. The ring of honor should just be no brainers, and sorta exclusive. To me it's those guys, Corey Dillon, and nobody else til Geno and AJ Green retire.

Well gotta save something for next season
Reply/Quote
I'm voting for Mike Brown.
Cool
Reply/Quote
Elizabeth Blackburn kinda rock's! That's what I make of all of this! Seems like a real amazing person.

I'd help make video's for the inducted players for them, absolutely free. Not that they'll probably see this.

I think another great fan engagement would be, since we have 17 games now, whenever we have our last home game of the season allow fans to vote on the uniform they want.

Could you imagine picking the original 70's uniform or classic 80s and seeing Burrow and other's in them.

Show you care for fans and they'll show they care for you and the team.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 11:35 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You spelled Sam Wyche wrong. Cool

I agree with those cats though. I'd wager they're voting to engage fans.

Yeah see? Others have come flooding to mind since I posted that. I still think each and every one of those guys should go in it right now though... Along with Isaac Curtis. You legit cannot tell the story of the Cincinnati Bengals without them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:20 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Elizabeth Blackburn kinda rock's! That's what I make of all of this! Seems like a real amazing person.

I'd help make video's for the inducted players for them, absolutely free. Not that they'll probably see this.

I think another great fan engagement would be, since we have 17 games now, whenever we have our last home game of the season allow fans to vote on the uniform they want.

Could you imagine picking the original 70's uniform or classic 80s and seeing Burrow and other's in them.

Show you care for fans and they'll show they care for you and the team.

I really want the 70s throwback to be included in our new unis... Helmet and all.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:06 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I think you have to add guys like Krumrie, Eddie Brown, James Brooks, Icky, Pete Johnson, Reggie Williams, David Fulcher

I mean those guys can all be Tier 3 as well, because just from the teams in the 80's i remember these were the stars.  

Ehhhhhh. Tier 3 guys should still have to be able to argue for their HoF induction. 

All the other guys you named were good/really good players, but they're more 'let's debate' type of guys. I loved Krumrie and Fulcher, the latter kind of changing the position when he played but the RoH needs to be guys that were above good/really good era players. How many people here are going to name guys like Mike Reid, Coy Bacon, Bob Trumpy, Bill Johnson, etc?

There has to be some exculsivity to it. They can always put photos up of whomever they want on stadium concourse walls. 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 10:30 AM)jason Wrote: I see no point in excluding any of those guys from the inaugural class. Do other teams vote on this kind of thing?  That seems sorta silly to me. The ring of honor should just be no brainers, and sorta exclusive. To me it's those guys, Corey Dillon, and nobody else til Geno and AJ Green retire.

See, this right here is what worries me. I don't know how old the OP is, or really how old most season ticket holders are nowadays (since they are the ones going to get to vote), but the whole "nobody else till Geno and AJ" deal is a slap in the face to dominant players like Tim Krumrie, who most people on here probably didn't get to watch play. If Krumie didn't break his leg in the 1st half of that Super Bowl, we would have won it. He was a legit sideline to sideline nose tackle. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: See, this right here is what worries me. I don't know how old the OP is, or really how old most season ticket holders are nowadays (since they are the ones going to get to vote), but the whole "nobody else till Geno and AJ" deal is a slap in the face to dominant players like Tim Krumrie, who most people on here probably didn't get to watch play. If Krumie didn't break his leg in the 1st half of that Super Bowl, we would have won it. He was a legit sideline to sideline nose tackle. 

That does make it hard. I definitely remember Krumrie, but I was young. I was in 8th grade when he got injured in the Super Bowl. I know he was good, but I really don't know who his peers were. How did he stack up league wide? Things like that.

I still like the idea of it being exclusive though. We've had a lot of really good players over the years, but only so many greats.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see how exclusive the Bengals want this club to be.  Four inductees makes sense in the first year or two because there's a lot of time to make up for.  But unless you want to fill the whole ring pretty quickly it seems like you have to scale back to one or two a year.

The Bengals have a FAQ that says a little about this.  

https://www.bengals.com/team/ring-of-honor/faq

Quote:How was it determined to have four members in the inaugural class?

The Ring of Honor represents the best of the best. One of the most important factors was to build it in a thoughtful and sustainable way so that it maintains the excitement and engagement for years to come. An inaugural class of four maintains exclusivity, while also starting a great debate on who should be inducted this year and in future years.

What are the qualifications to be inducted?

Pro Football Hall of Fame members are automatically inducted. Players must be retired. Additional qualifications include Pro Bowls, team records, individual achievements and Bengals First 50 votes from fans and media.

So besides Brown and Munoz, the initial inductees should have a reasonable claim for being worthy of the Pro Football HOF.  That's:

Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Willie Anderson
Chad Johnson

If you include players who padded out their HOF credentials with other teams then add Corey Dillon.  

Then I think you start adding in people who had great careers with the Bengals who would probably be getting more of a HOF look if the Bengals could have just scored a Super Bowl win.

Sam Wyche
Boomer Esiason
Isaac Curtis
Lemar Parrish

Then you can add some people who are special to the team and its fans.

Forrest Greg
Bob Trumpy
Chris Collinsworth
Tim Krumrie
Reggie Williams
David Fulcher
Max Montoya
Dave Lapham
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:18 PM)Roland Wrote: It will be interesting to see how exclusive the Bengals want this club to be.  Four inductees makes sense in the first year or two because there's a lot of time to make up for.  But unless you want to fill the whole ring pretty quickly it seems like you have to scale back to one or two a year.

The Bengals have a FAQ that says a little about this.  

https://www.bengals.com/team/ring-of-honor/faq

So besides Brown and Munoz, the initial inductees should have a reasonable claim for being worthy of the Pro Football HOF.  That's:

Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Willie Anderson
Chad Johnson

If you include players who padded out their HOF credentials with other teams then add Corey Dillon.  

Then I think you start adding in people who had great careers with the Bengals who would probably be getting more of a HOF look if the Bengals could have just scored a Super Bowl win.

Sam Wyche
Boomer Esiason
Isaac Curtis
Lemar Parrish

Then you can add some people who are special to the team and its fans.

Forrest Greg
Bob Trumpy
Chris Collinsworth
Tim Krumrie
Reggie Williams
David Fulcher
Max Montoya
Dave Lapham

This a pretty good break down of potential nominees.

I think this means Geno gets the honor after he retires because he is going to be a HOFer.

I also think Whitworth should be added to the last tier.
Reply/Quote
Yes to both.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:14 PM)jason Wrote: That does make it hard. I definitely remember Krumrie, but I was young. I was in 8th grade when he got injured in the Super Bowl. I know he was good, but I really don't know who his peers were. How did he stack up league wide? Things like that.

I still like the idea of it being exclusive though. We've had a lot of really good players over the years, but only so many greats.

I know he would go sideline to sideline prior to his injury, after he broke his leg it was pretty much from end to end of the line. Simply put, he was a beast.

Quote:
Quote:Krumrie was chosen in the 10th round of the 1983 NFL Draft.[9]

Krumrie was selected to the Pro Bowl twice, in 1987 and 1988, and made one Super Bowl appearance.
He finished his career with 34 sacks and 13 fumble recoveries for 35 return yards in 188 games. At the time of his retirement, his 34 sacks were the fourth highest in franchise history.
Krumrie is perhaps remembered most for the severely broken leg he suffered during Super Bowl XXIII where the Bengals played the San Francisco 49ers. As Krumrie came off a block from 49er offensive linemen Jesse Sapolu and Randy Cross, he went to make a tackle on ball carrier Roger Craig. When his foot was planted in the ground, the pressure his weight put on his ankle joint caused his lower leg to snap above the joint. Knowing how devastating losing Krumrie would be, Bengals coach Sam Wyche can be heard talking into his headset at the time, simply saying "Get up Tim. Get up Tim." as Krumrie laid on the field. The injury was severe enough that an inflatable splint had to be brought out onto the field to stabilize the leg and Krumrie was diagnosed with a broken tibia and fibula. Despite his injury, Krumrie refused to go to the hospital, insisting on staying in the locker room and watching the game on television, only leaving when the paramedics told him he might go into shock. After a 15-inch steel rod was surgically implanted to stabilize the leg, Krumrie was ready by the start of the 1989 regular season.[10][11]
Krumrie played six more years. He led the team with 97 tackles in 1992.
Krumrie concluded his playing career following the 1994 season after compiling 1,017 tackles (700 solo), 34.5 sacks, 13 fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles and 10 passes defensed.

Wyche pretty much knew the game was over as well..... legs just aren't supposed to bend that way.....

[Image: tim-krumrie-injury-super-bowl-untoldjpg.webp]
Reply/Quote