Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring of shame team
QB: Akili Smith
*RB: Chris Perry (he was just awful that year we signed CedBen)
FB: Cliff Groce
*WR: Andre Caldwell (Just throwing a different sucky WR out there)
*WR: Armon Binns (can anyone believe we went into a season starting this guy? For 5 weeks?
*TE: Sean Brewer (chain smoking TE)
*LT: Rod Jones (incredible that we had a pair of Rod Jones' who were both terrible at the same time)
LG: Nate Livings
C: Eric Ghiaciuc
RG: Alex Redmond
RT: Cedric Ogbhuehe

*DE: Jevon Langford (a regular in the rotation for 5 seasons, did nothing)
*DE: Bryan Robinson (3 years, 29 starts, did nothing)
*DT: Kimo Von Oelhoffen (terrible for us, terrible against us)
*DT: Glen Steele
LB: Dontay Moch
LB: Brandon Bell
LB: Paul Dawson
*CB: Corey Sawyer
*CB: Rodney Heath
*Cb3: Rod "Toast" Jones
S: Lamont Thompson
*S: Greg Myers

*K: Chris Bahr (career 57.9%) - Poor Neil Rackers had to deal w/ that awful PBS turf and turned out to be a good K elsewhere
P: Nick Harris
LS: Brad St. Louis

* = my changes to OP's list.

I had to show some love for 90s players, especially those brutal secondaries.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
If we're talking fan hype, then no one holds a candle to:

[Image: dezmon-briscoe-sext.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-08-2021, 06:16 PM)wcu Wrote: Our awesome new ring of honor got me thinking about some of the truly horrendous players we've had over the years (that Geoff Hobson tried to convince us we're good). I've taken a stab at coming up with the worst group of starters possible from across the team's history.

What do you think? Who would you change. I was a child in the 80s so I'm obviously dating myself with these choices. I tried to only pick starters or guys who saw significant playing time.

QB: Akili Smith
RB: Kenny Watson
FB: Cliff Groce
WR: John Ross
WR: Ron Dugans
TE: Daniel Coates
LT: Scott Rehburg
LG: Nate Livings
C: Eric Ghiaciuc
RG: Alex Redmond
RT: Cedric Ogbhuehe

DE: Margus Hunt
DE: Jordan Willis
DT: Matthias Askew
DT: Devon Still
LB: Dontay Moch
LB: Brandon Bell
LB: Paul Dawson
CB: Juwan Armor
CB: Josh Shaw
S: Lamont Thompson
S: Ifeyani Ohalete

K: Neil Rackers
P: Nick Harris
LS: Brad St. Louis

Stanley Wilson at FB
Antonio Bryant at WR
AJ Nicholson at LB
Billy Price at C
Dre Kirk had Ben throw at him something, like, 9 straight times on Monday nightfootball as the Steelers marched down the field for a TD. He belongs in there.
Jeremy Hill's fumble and idiotic dancing deserves consideration. Which leads me to...
Kelly Washington at WR

Shayne Graham at K for several things. Being a red head, 1. And, 2, for banging the BenGAL who had herpes and ended up banging one of her students and going to jail. And missing some critical kicks. Hated that guy.
(04-08-2021, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d put Chase Coffman at TE.

Get a base Chase
(04-08-2021, 07:33 PM)Qb7boomer Wrote: Ricky Dixon at dB, Sean brewer at T.E ( drafted between Chad and rudi)and Kenny irons at Rb. Don't forget reinard Wilson at lb/de. Don't sleep on cedric  ogbuehi either. Oh forget about bob Dahl dt, that ended up being a guard for Washington I think, don't think he even played for us. Akili was the worse qb due to the trade that never was.

Reinard had his moments. He still ranks 13th in team history in sacks with 24. Was he a bust? Sure...but we've had many worse players on the edge.

---

Btw, has anyone mentioned free agent flops Michael Westbrook, Antonio Bryant and Lavernues Coles?

Westbrook played 9 games, started 4, and caught 8 of his 26 targets.

Bryant didn't play at all, but we probably would've been better off if Westbrook didn't.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Another player who signed but never suited up was Barry Foster. I was hyped when we signed him, then he just up and retires. Hilarious
Is there a defined criteria for this? Like, worst player or worst moments?

'cause A LOT of players being named aren't even close to the worst on the team.

Anyways, as I didn't see the team pre-mid-90s, I would put:

QB: Akili
HB: Hard, because we always had a good stable of RBs throughout the years... I'd say someone like Clifton Dawson (which pains me) or James Johnson.
FB: Would NEVER put Cliff Groce here, wasn't bad at all. Someone like Scottie Graham or if you want to count him, Dan Coats (he was moved to FB for 2 seasons).
WR: Jeff Hill
TE: Coffman. Hate to say that too.
LT: Rod Jones is clear-cut, easily. No contest.
LG: Scott Brumfield
C: Either Jeff Faine or Ghiaciuc
RG: Fred Johnson. As much as he is a more-than-decent swing tackle, that was one of the worst RG performances I've ever seen. And the numbers back it up.
RT: Marshall Newhouse
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(04-08-2021, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure Toast Jones was a CB

He also was the best damn poster the old forum had ever seen.

Guy was cool as shit too.
(04-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Get a base Chase

I’ve never seen a coach more frustrated with a player lol

There was a guard by the name Blackmon.

Also, I have to add Artrell Hawkins.
(04-08-2021, 08:48 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: There was a guard by the name Blackmon.

Also,  I have to add Artrell Hawkins.

I almost went with Artrell. We had sooo many bad corners in the 90s.
(04-08-2021, 08:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He also was the best damn poster the old forum had ever seen.

Didn’t you have the leprechaun sighting hood guy as your pic back then? I remember lurking the old board and seeing that name and pic.

(04-08-2021, 08:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He also was the best damn poster the old forum had ever seen.

At a minimum he was the best with Toast in their username 

(04-08-2021, 08:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I almost went with Artrell. We had sooo many bad corners in the 90s.

Yeah,  I was surprised after almost three pages nobody mentioned him. I kind of second guessed myself before posting. LOLLOL .
(04-08-2021, 08:48 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: There was a guard by the name Blackmon.

Also, I have to add Artrell Hawkins.

(04-08-2021, 08:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I almost went with Artrell. We had sooo many bad corners in the 90s.

Except he wasn't bad.

This is largely revisionist history, as someone like Jones only had 10 INTs in an 11-year career as a starter, while Artrell had 9 in 6 years, was much more active with ball skills and was a decent run CB and managed 3 sacks on top of it.

Artrell was never a world-beater, but he wasn't a, "bad CB."
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Any room for coaches? Homer Rice
Go Benton Panthers!!
Caleb Miller and his draft mate, Johnson.
Undersized LBs before it became a good thing.
(04-08-2021, 08:53 PM)SladeX Wrote: Any room for coaches? Homer Rice

It would be the guy we have now in a landslide...

We had that Center who won the Remington Award as a Junior and was a finalist for 3 years. He lasted one year.

(04-08-2021, 08:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We had that Center who won the Remington Award as a Junior and was a finalist for 3 years. He lasted one year.

Played for Arkansas I think. 

Weren't there also linemen called Luigs and Kooistra that received a little hype from Hobson?

This doesn't really belong in this category,  but whatever happened to Quan Cosby? IIRC, he had a decent rookie year as a punt returner,  and feel off the NFL the next year.