Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross finally breaks out!
(11-11-2018, 10:30 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: 2 for 39 & a TD was a little underwhelming, but then again so was nearly everyone else,from the coaches down.

I foresaw us losing big, but I figured if our hopes were DOA before the 2nd half hit that we'd at least see some more interesting garbage time, no pressure catches from Ross and co.  I will say that Ross' zeal for catching the ball in the end zone and fear of catching it anywhere else reminds me of my own playing days, though!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 08:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As bad as Ross is, he's still infinitely better than the practice squad-level players behind him. That's saying something.

Meanwhile, Brandon Marshall is available. He won't keep the defense from bleeding points though.

Any receiver other than Boyd or Green on our roster looks horrible. The loss of Eifert was huge.

Ross...there were atleast 2 times Dalton threw to him and he had no clue the ball was coming. His issues are mental. Maybe he doesnt understand the offense?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Any receiver other than Boyd or Green on our roster looks horrible. The loss of Eifert was huge.

Ross...there were atleast 2 times Dalton threw to him and he had no clue the ball was coming. His issues are mental. Maybe he doesnt understand the offense?

He seems to be caught in a spiral where he doesn't play because he isn't in game shape and he isn't in game shape because he doesn't play and he doesn't play because he isn't comfortable on the field and he isn't comfortable on the field because he doesn't play.

He's looking like a typical "We have 5 years before we can judge him" kind of pick made way too high by a GM who has a 0% chance of being held accountable for his decisions.  Huzzah.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Any receiver other than Boyd or Green on our roster looks horrible. The loss of Eifert was huge.

Dalton underthrew him twice for possible touchdowns. One ended up being picked and the other should have been. Those aren't Ross' fault. Alot is but with better QB play he could easily at least be DeSean Jackson but our idiotic staff picked a deep ball threat reciever for a QB who's weakest skill is deep ball throwing. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He seems to be caught in a spiral where he doesn't play because he isn't in game shape and he isn't in game shape because he doesn't play and he doesn't play because he isn't comfortable on the field and he isn't comfortable on the field because he doesn't play.

He's looking like a typical "We have 5 years before we can judge him" kind of pick made way too high by a GM who has a 0% chance of being held accountable for his decisions.  Huzzah.

He's out there a lot of plays. If he was a 4th Round pick...he'd be on the bench.

Erickson played a lot too on the outside. He's a pretty terrible wr for more than 10 plays a game.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's out there a lot of plays. If he was a 4th Round pick...he'd be on the bench.

Erickson played a lot too on the outside. He's a pretty terrible wr for more than 10 plays a game.

The thing I can't shake is that Ross was drafted to be our #1 WR, so I'm not sure I see why he won't eventually be our #1 WR whether he is able to be it, or not.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:22 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Dalton underthrew him twice for possible touchdowns. One ended up being picked and the other should have been. Those aren't Ross' fault. Alot is but with better QB play he could easily at least be DeSean Jackson but our idiotic staff picked a deep ball threat reciever for a QB who's weakest skill is deep ball throwing. 

No doubt. I watched Brees pick our safeties apart. Dalton on similar plays gets intercepted.

I hate to say it, but we aren't 1 or 2 players away. We might be looking at drafting a new QB and doing a partial rebuild. We need 2 new tackles and a Guard. Glenn has massively underperformed.

2 new LBs. Another WR and a starting TE.
Reply/Quote
I’m ready for a complete rebuild. Starting with the coach n qb.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:25 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m ready for a complete rebuild.  Starting with the coach n qb.

well, if this is going to be done, now is the time. The browns and ravens are in rebuilding mode. Although the bengals are always in permament rebuild mode.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The thing I can't shake is that Ross was drafted to be our #1 WR, so I'm not sure I see why he won't eventually be our #1 WR whether he is able to be it, or not.

Plain and simple, I don't think his speed translates to the field. I don't see him just blow by guys.

IF you take that speed away...he's just an average guy.
Reply/Quote
I've defended Dalton a lot, but I can admit that those two deep throws to Ross were complete ass. They were both behind him. If Dalton actually puts them in front of Ross he might have 2 more touchdowns.

Also I'm not a Ross guy. I didn't want to draft him. But some people have such a dislike for the kid that they won't admit Dalton didn't look on those throws.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:20 PM)MentalRage Wrote: I've defended Dalton a lot, but I can admit that those two deep throws to Ross were complete ass. They were both behind him. If Dalton actually puts them in front of Ross he might have 2 more touchdowns.

Also I'm not a Ross guy. I didn't want to draft him. But some people have such a dislike for the kid that they won't admit Dalton didn't look on those throws.

I can't say I'm holding Dalton blameless, but he's done a lot more to earn some leeway than Ross has.  The percentage of plays where Ross is involved and something head-scratching, cringe-worthy or downright bad happens is staggering.  He's like the Rex Grossman of WRs...or something.  Every time it's a roller coaster ride.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't say I'm holding Dalton blameless, but he's done a lot more to earn some leeway than Ross has.  The percentage of plays where Ross is involved and something head-scratching, cringe-worthy or downright bad happens is staggering.  He's like the Rex Grossman of WRs...or something.  Every time it's a roller coaster ride.

No I completely agree. The Bengals have won 5 games this season because Dalton has played well this year. And yes, Ross is a confusing, disappointing player so far in his career. But if we are talking about those two specific deep throws yesterday I'll put the blame on Andy more so than Ross.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:27 PM)MentalRage Wrote: No I completely agree. The Bengals have won 5 games this season because Dalton has played well this year. And yes, Ross is a confusing, disappointing player so far in his career. But if we are talking about those two specific deep throws yesterday I'll put the blame on Andy more so than Ross.

Right-o.  Taken individually, it can't all be Ross' fault!  What hurts his standing is that there will be times when your QB will miss you, and times where a defensive player will get his head on the ball and cause a killer fumble.  Crap happens, but that's why you need to make the most of the situations that aren't so dire.

Anyways, on to (insert next city) here.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't say I'm holding Dalton blameless, but he's done a lot more to earn some leeway than Ross has.  The percentage of plays where Ross is involved and something head-scratching, cringe-worthy or downright bad happens is staggering.  He's like the Rex Grossman of WRs...or something.  Every time it's a roller coaster ride.

Yeah, they both deserve blame at this point.

I will say that it seems Ross really should've had 3 TDs yesterday, and two were underthrown. But Ross is at the point where he is the target of scrutiny.

But at the same time, Andy seems to be having his best year, though his stats the last month show a bad decline. I still really trust Andy when we have the ball on offense right now, and it's honestly a good feeling to have.

I mean, I 100% thought we were going to convert that fourth down if the TE didn't jump. And I also 100% believed Andy would tie the game 14-14. Just think that it got to the point where the lead was so overwhelming that he just had to chuck it and hope for the ebst.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:52 PM)thillan Wrote: Yeah, they both deserve blame at this point.

I will say that it seems Ross really should've had 3 TDs yesterday, and two were underthrown. But Ross is at the point where he is the target of scrutiny.

But at the same time, Andy seems to be having his best year, though his stats the last month show a bad decline. I still really trust Andy when we have the ball on offense right now, and it's honestly a good feeling to have.

I mean, I 100% thought we were going to convert that fourth down if the TE didn't jump. And I also 100% believed Andy would tie the game 14-14. Just think that it got to the point where the lead was so overwhelming that he just had to chuck it and hope for the ebst.

Doesn't help when you get behind by 2 TD's and have to deal with increased coverage and more blitzers. Trying to outgun the Saints is like trying to outgun the Golden State Warriors. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote