Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross position changed to X Receiver to Start Tate
So we know Ross reportedly thinks too much. So coming off of his 2 best yardage games of his career, what do the Bengals do? They change his position to X receiver so Tate can start.

The result - Ross had a terrible game.

Why not keep him in a role that he was successful in?

Taylor said the Bengals made the move of replacing Damion Willis with Tate and putting Tate at flanker and moving John Ross to X receiver during the week. Ross had a rough one. The NFL receiving yardage leader had his NFL-leading fifth drop and had a fumble before finishing with two catches for 22 yards.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-fiery-taylor-asks-bengals-to-stay-connected
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know Ross reportedly thinks too much. So coming off of his 2 best yardage games of his career, what do the Bengals do? They change his position to X receiver so Tate can start.

Taylor said the Bengals made the move of replacing Damion Willis with Tate and putting Tate at flanker and moving John Ross to X receiver during the week. Ross had a rough one. The NFL receiving yardage leader had his NFL-leading fifth drop and had a fumble before finishing with two catches for 22 yards.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-fiery-taylor-asks-bengals-to-stay-connected

Dalton also overthrew it just a bit when he burned that DB down the sideline. Easy TD, we’d be talking about how great that play was, and wouldn’t consider it a down week.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:13 AM)thillan Wrote: Dalton also overthrew it just a bit when he burned that DB down the sideline. Easy TD, we’d be talking about how great that play was, and wouldn’t consider it a down week.

didn't think with ross's speed that would be an issue
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:13 AM)thillan Wrote: Dalton also overthrew it just a bit when he burned that DB down the sideline. Easy TD, we’d be talking about how great that play was, and wouldn’t consider it a down week.

Yeah Ross should have caught that ball. If I recall correctly, it hit both of his hands.
Reply/Quote
Still, my main point is: Why take Ross out of a position/role that he was successful in?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah Ross should have caught that ball. If I recall correctly, it hit both of his hands.

Mmm, I believe it went right past his fingers through one hand. At best, it could be that Ross had stumbled a bit on his move and that caused the miss.. to me, it’s either that or Dalton missed
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:22 AM)thillan Wrote: Mmm, I believe it went right past his fingers through one hand. At best, it could be that Ross had stumbled a bit on his move and that caused the miss.. to me, it’s either that or Dalton missed

This.  When they showed the replay, Ross had indeed stumbled a bit out of his break and the timing was just slightly off.  His speed almost made up for it.  

I think we're making too much of Ross's previous mental errors, he isn't quitting on things, and he's getting back up after being tackled.  In my opinion, that alone is the Ross we've been waiting for.  I think the receptions/yardage will come.
Reply/Quote
The bright side if AJ comes back close to what he was it will make every starter on offense job easier. Line played better yesterday. we need to better limit batted balls better. It won't really matter if tightends are beating opponents safeties or linebacker if the ball keeps getting batted down before the ball gets there
Reply/Quote
Was he successful in week 2? Doing nothing until backups were in and there was less thsn a minute left isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How many threads are you going to start to remind us you think Taylor is a bad coach?

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many threads are you going to start to remind us you think Taylor is a bad coach?

:andy: :andy: :andy: 

Is there any way we can get the mods to put a cap on threads started per week ? For crying out loud !
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know Ross reportedly thinks too much. So coming off of his 2 best yardage games of his career, what do the Bengals do? They change his position to X receiver so Tate can start.

Dalton had a Bad Andy day yesterday and it wasn't because Ross moved. It did affect the receiving across the boards.

A WRs job is to run routes, create separation and catch the ball, plus blocking. Starting a WR at a different spot along the line of scrimmage should not be a big factor. All WRs playing up on the line get jammed in press coverage and getting past that is part of the position's job as it is required to run the route correctly.

Lots of smaller receivers have learned the techniques of how to do this. It's just something Ross will need to learn how to do to become a complete WR. He's not a fast learner though. The team may want to skip it and only play Ross off the line, but that limits him down the road.

Reply/Quote
Im ok with it. Getting Ross ready for what he will be doing once AJ is back. Which could be next Monday.

And it was the coach getting our best players on the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many threads are you going to start to remind us you think Taylor is a bad coach?

Did you know that when Taylor was at UC their offense was ranked 123 out of 128 teams? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Did you know that when Taylor was at UC their offense was ranked 123 out of 128 teams? Ninja

That's not surprising as he called a 1 yard WR screen on 3rd and 10. A bunch of other questionable calls too.

Thanks for pointing that stat out!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah Ross should have caught that ball. If I recall correctly, it hit both of his hands.

It should have hit both of his hands, but it looked to me like he simply let it go right through them. If that's AJ Green out there, it's a sure TD.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 03:37 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: It should have hit both of his hands, but it looked to me like he simply let it go right through them. If that's AJ Green out there, it's a sure TD.

Was just outside of his fingers.

Green would’ve caught it because he’s 6’4 with a great wingspan, JR is 5’11
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 03:38 PM)thillan Wrote: Was just outside of his fingers.

Green would’ve caught it because he’s 6’4 with a great wingspan, JR is 5’11

Yep, that's part of it, but even the announcers said he should have caught the ball. To be fair, he probably would have had he not stumbled on his break. Ross is coming along, just needs to clean up the drops, and had a bad fumble yesterday. He's definitely improving.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 12:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: :andy: :andy: :andy: 

Is there any way we can get the mods to put a cap on threads started per week ? For crying out loud !

I am glad more people are noticing it besides me
Reply/Quote
Let’s be honest. The number 9 overall pick shouldn’t be dropping passes. No excuse. I could find a 7th round pick who will catch passes. Speed means absolutely nothing if you can’t catch the damn ball.
Reply/Quote