Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross tries to cool expectations
(08-25-2017, 05:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm just saying, if you draft a kicker who is supposed to be the most accurate kicker in the NFL, and he says he'll never be that accurate on the field, that's NOT a good thing. If you draft an OL who is supposed to be able to out-muscle any DL on the field and he says he'll never be that strong on the field, that's not a good thing.

I'm not saying Ross is going to be a bust or anything, but it's certainly not a good sign if he's already hedging expectations when he hasn't even played a snap of football yet.

Nah, he didn't say that specifically. Just a collection of not-great but not-terrible things.

“There are guys who haven’t run a 4.22, but they can keep up with me,”
“4.22 looks good on TV. On paper. I’m not ever going to run 4.22 in a game."
"I have the physical traits to run by someone, but it’s not’s that easy anymore."
“You can tell (the speed of the game) is much faster. Just watching the games and even at practice. Much faster,”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

My dislike of the pick might be influencing my opinion on it (I don't like taking 180lb WRs with two iffy knees and a hurt shoulder in the 1st round) but I just didn't like the quotes. You can be humble and still be confident/not cast doubts.

I'll take humble over cocky, any day of the week.  Humble has worked out well for AJ Green.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 05:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm just saying, if you draft a kicker who is supposed to be the most accurate kicker in the NFL, and he says he'll never be that accurate on the field, that's NOT a good thing. If you draft an OL who is supposed to be able to out-muscle any DL on the field and he says he'll never be that strong on the field, that's not a good thing.

I'm not saying Ross is going to be a bust or anything, but it's certainly not a good sign if he's already hedging expectations when he hasn't even played a snap of football yet.

Nah, he didn't say that specifically. Just a collection of not-great but not-terrible things.

"I have the physical traits to run by someone, but it’s not’s that easy anymore."
“You can tell (the speed of the game) is much faster. Just watching the games and even at practice. Much faster,”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

My dislike of the pick might be influencing my opinion on it (I don't like taking 180lb WRs with two iffy knees and a hurt shoulder in the 1st round) but I just didn't like the quotes. You can be humble and still be confident/not cast doubts.

He never said he will never be the fastest, he said he needs to play faster to catch up with Green and Core/
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll take humble over cocky, any day of the week.  Humble has worked out well for AJ Green.

Sure, but have you ever seen AJ Green, Julio Jones, or Antonio Brown downtalking their skillset? I'm not saying be OBJ, just don't cast doubt on the thing you were drafted to do. You can be humble and confident at the same time.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 06:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, but have you ever seen AJ Green, Julio Jones, or Antonio Brown downtalking their skillset? I'm not saying be OBJ, just don't cast doubt on the thing you were drafted to do. You can be humble and confident at the same time.

There's probably a good reason that he went to Washington, and not USC.  If he's lowkey, let him be who he is.  His play on the field will do the talking.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: LT, RDE and Ross are probably the 3 biggest things I'm going to be watching Sunday. Hoping to see do well that is.

Got a busy off day Sunday coming. Trimming braches, then watch Bengals game, fantasy football draft with my boys, then the Gov't Mule and Blackberry Smoke show, and watching Game of Thrones season finale that I will have to dvr.

But watching Ross play gets me as excited as the concert and GOT finale. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I still think we should be cautious. He doesnt need to be an immediate contributor. Our current starters are healthy.

Its a long season. a couple more weeks of not taking full blown game hits probably isn't a bad idea for a guy who had surgery a few months ago.
Reply/Quote
Please do not use this kid on returns.
Reply/Quote
I think its important we don't get him returning punts or kickoffs. He will be fine. I think he has a lot of light on him and he just wants to tone it down so he can focus. In addition, his statements encourage other teammates. He seems like a good kid who is grounded and knows he can't learn this overnight. He may feel all the hype make him fell like he has to break a long one and score a few times a game. That can create a huge challenge on the confidence of a kid who hasn't performed at the NFL level yet and might feel like he is being asked to be the answer. I think it was a good article and appreciate SHR for sharing. This kid will be what we all think he will be in time. He just needs to settle in and learn the speed of the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 06:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I still think we should be cautious. He doesnt need to be an immediate contributor. Our current starters are healthy.

Its a long season. a couple more weeks of not taking full blown game hits probably isn't a bad idea for a guy who had surgery a few months ago.

I agree. No point to risk a setback in pre season. I'm sure him and Dalton are working on their timing in practice.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 02:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except he was drafted to be the fastest WR on the team, so hearing that he's not, is not a good thing. Would you have felt better if the Bengals drafted a QB in the first round and he said "Yeah, I am not going to be as good as you thought. Heck, I am not even the best on the team"?

Ross is too small to not be the fastest on the field. Core has like 20lbs on him.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

He might be the fastest WR on the team. He might not. What impresses me is he isn't saying he is. In the piece he's saying he's got to improve and learn the offense. That's a good attitude for a high pick.

And for the bolded part, I'm not disagreeing. I said the same thing after the pick was made, expressed my displeasure for it and put on my Debbie Downer hat. But just like Ced, I'm going to put my opinion aside and see what he's got. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 05:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I hated the Ross pick and still do. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Ditto.

I still think he was a reach, with too much injury risk. I don't see a special player here.

Ok, J.R. .....now go out there and make me eat it.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='415181' dateline='1503712779']

Ditto.

I still think he was a reach, with too much injury risk. I don't see a special player here.

[/quote]

Wow...I am surprised to hear this.  I think he was the #1 playmaker in the draft.  18 TDs his senior season, one every five times he touched the ball.  Never mind the 4.22 forty, he has the ability to cut on a dime.  Absolutely embarrassed another first round pick, Adoree Jackson, head-to-head, and he didn't even have good QB play.

I was, and still am, 100% behind this pick and I think he changes our offense.  I can't wait to see him out there.  

As far as the injury risk, most of those occurred while he was playing defense, at CB, because Marcus Peters was suspended.  A team guy, high character, and a game-changer.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: John Ross is just so smart and classy.

He knows even for him it takes time to get up to the speed of the NFL.

Liked what he said about Core saying "he can flat out fly". Another dude i am really high on.

But Ross is on another level when he is healthy, his presence alone will affect how Defenses play us.

Also loved hearing about how they aren't treating him like a rookie and he is lining up all over.

Everyone and especially Dalton should be very excited about this guy. He is not just speed and this article shows it.

Dude knows his shit.

Yep, and if you put Core at X opposite AJ Green, and Ross in the slot, you might have a pretty special trio...
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 07:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think its important we don't get him returning punts or kickoffs. He will be fine. I think he has a lot of light on him and he just wants to tone it down so he can focus. In addition, his statements encourage other teammates. He seems like a good kid who is grounded and knows he can't learn this overnight. He may feel all the hype make him fell like he has to break a long one and score a few times a game. That can create a huge challenge on the confidence of a kid who hasn't performed at the NFL level yet and might feel like he is being asked to be the answer. I think it was a good article and appreciate SHR for sharing. This kid will be what we all think he will be in time. He just needs to settle in and learn the speed of the NFL.

I am with you 100% on the kickoff and punt returns.  I'm sorry, but Erickson has to make this team.  Should he get injured, then you find a solution, but right now, I don't want to risk an injury on a stupid preseason game.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll take humble over cocky, any day of the week.  Humble has worked out well for AJ Green.

I will add "coachable".  One of the things the Bengals initially liked about Core was that he immediately took to their coaching at the Senior Bowl and improved his release.  He didn't think, or act, as though he already knew everything and couldn't be taught anything.

BTW, all of you that are worried about his top speed, etc, after reading this:  Antonio Brown didn't have a very fast 40 yard dash but what makes him special is his explosiveness off the line and in and out of his cuts.  He is also an inch shorter than Ross, and a few pounds lighter.

I found this (puke) while looking up some stuff:

[Image: speed.0.PNG]

I don't think that is true when the Bengals have Green, Core, and Ross on the field.  Plus, like those steeler teams, the Bengals have a TE and a RB that a big-time players.  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: [quote pid='415181' dateline='1503712779']

Ditto.

Wow...I am surprised to hear this.  I think he was the #1 playmaker in the draft.  18 TDs his senior season, one every five times he touched the ball.  Never mind the 4.22 forty, he has the ability to cut on a dime.  Absolutely embarrassed another first round pick, Adoree Jackson, head-to-head, and he didn't even have good QB play.

I was, and still am, 100% behind this pick and I think he changes our offense.  I can't wait to see him out there.  

As far as the injury risk, most of those occurred while he was playing defense, at CB, because Marcus Peters was suspended.  A team guy, high character, and a game-changer.  

It's a perfectly valid conern one I share myself...Yes he is a playmaker and was the most refined receiver in the draft...but at his size is he going to hold up in the NFL? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 09:22 AM)Synric Wrote: It's a perfectly valid conern one I share myself...Yes he is a playmaker and was the most refined receiver in the draft...but at his size is he going to hold up in the NFL? 

He's bigger than Antonio Brown, and I think people don't realize that...
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He's bigger than Antonio Brown, and I think people don't realize that...

And Brown has proven he can take an NFL beating. That by no means proves Ross will. I sincerely hope he can...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm not in the least worried about his size. Plenty of big men get injured and wash out early.  I'm guessing the reason he's been injured as much as he has is just plain exposure. The more often you're on the field the more chances of getting injured and he was on the field in college a lot both O AND D. 
The Bengals aren't going to be having him play the CB position or safety and probably won't have him playing the gunner role too often.. This is a guy who if he pans out will most likely just be catching the ball 99% of the time.. He doesn't have to be 6'4" and 230 lbs to do that.. 
As far as his comments, it looks to me that he's simply acknowledging that he's not the only real fast guy out there and the difference between a 4.22 40 and 4.30 is .08 seconds.. That's the length of someone's nose running full speed..
I ran track in school and was pretty darn fast, but I meet guys who could run faster backwards than I could forward and got really embarrassed once making a bet about my speed..One guy was actually laughing at me clapping his hands saying "C'mon slow poke!  You can do better than that!" lol  He wasn't anywhere near full speed.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2017, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: [quote pid='415181' dateline='1503712779']

Ditto.

[/quote]

I hope you are right, because we put aside bigger needs to select him.
Reply/Quote