Poll: Ross v Boyd
John Ross has more catches
Tyler Boyd has more catches
John Ross has more yards
Tyler Boyd has more yards
John Ross has more touchdowns
Tyler Boyd has more touchdowns
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross v Boyd
This isn't a who do you like better thread. This is a who do you think will have the better season thread? John Ross or Tyler Boyd? Who has more catches? More yards? More TDs?

The poll lets you select multiple options. But I limited it to where you can only select 3 that way you don't try to be smart and check all the boxes. Smirk

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know you are just asking who will have the better season. Still, I want to say there is no Ross vs Boyd. We need both. Maybe we have finally replaced Jones and Sanu. I hope so. To get play-off wins and maybe Super Bowl we will need AJ Green, Boyd, Ross, Eifert, Kroft, Mixon, Bernard and all the pass catchers we can have. Most of the play-off losses were due to AJ Green double teamed and nobody else stepping up. In the Bengals 2 Super Bowl years they had more pass catchers than defenses could cover. So just saying there is no Ross vs Boyd, we need both. I'll let you debate now which has best season. I just hope they all look like Collinsworth, Curtis, Dan Ross, David Verser, Pete Johnson, Charles Alexander, Archie Griffin and others being too many pass catchers to cover, as 2018 Bengals play like a Super Bowl Team. Like a basketball team hitting the open man. We lost a lot losing Marvin Jones and Sanu after 2015, as per their play on other teams. Maybe we are reloaded again, I hope so. If they take the double team off AJ Green, Dalton to Green will destroy single coverage. If D's double Green, we need all these others to destroy defenses.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Ross could averages something sick like 18+ yards per reception. He is STILL inconsistent, and that is a bummer, but his best traits are exactly what we saw today: The deep pass that takes the top off the defense, and yards after the catch. I know they are probably saving it, but screen passes to Ross are also a no-brainer.

Stack formations with blockers and he can take it the distance any time one tackle is missed.

Boyd will, hopefully, be the TJ Houshmanzadeh, with lots of catches that move the chains and are high % looks that avoid potential turnovers.

I could see Ross getting 60 balls, but over 1000 yards and 10 TDs.

Boyd could get upward of 80 balls and right at 1000 yards, but not as many TDs.
Reply/Quote
I think Ross will have more yards, Boyd more 1st downs and more TDs
Reply/Quote
I never watched Ross in college, but I thought you guys said he could catch????? He missed one that would have gone for his 2nd touchdown yesterday. Did he have a catching problem in college, or is this new???
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I never watched Ross in college, but I thought you guys said he could catch????? He missed one that would have gone for his 2nd touchdown yesterday. Did he have a catching problem in college, or is this new???

A drop here or there doesn't mean he has a catching problem. Honestly, I think his issues are more concentration problems at times. To drop the slant yesterday but catch the 2 point conversion in the back of the end zone knowing he'd get smacked shows he's capable just inconsistent right now. It seems like there is a lot of thinking for him still, but with more playing time everything should slow down and require less thinking. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: A drop here or there doesn't mean he has a catching problem. Honestly, I think his issues are more concentration problems at times. To drop the slant yesterday but catch the 2 point conversion in the back of the end zone knowing he'd get smacked shows he's capable just inconsistent right now. It seems like there is a lot of thinking for him still, but with more playing time everything should slow down and require less thinking. 

I realize it's a concentration problem, that's why I was wondering if this was new, basically still a leftover from last year, or if he has always had this. From what I heard, he had great hands in college. He shows flashes of that here, but then drops balls he should easily catch.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I realize it's a concentration problem, that's why I was wondering if this was new, basically still a leftover from last year, or if he has always had this. From what I heard, he had great hands in college. He shows flashes of that here, but then drops balls he should easily catch.

As I said, I think it'll come with playing time. He is basically a rookie this year, so I'd hope by week 3 or 4 it's behind him. 
Reply/Quote
I’m guessing Ross will have more TDs and YDS being the more explosive player of the two. Boyd will probably have more catches though.

Reply/Quote
I think Ross will have more drops, Boyd will have more catches, therefore more TDs, 1st downs and more confidence. Ross's advantage is his speed so he will have the edge on deep passes. Deep passes have a lower % catching success. 1/3 relies on the QB, 1/3 on the receiver and 1/3 on the defender.
Reply/Quote
Ross will have more yards

Boyd will probably have a few more catches

Toss up on TD's, depends on a lot of things. I gave Boyd the edge
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 03:04 AM)Bryan Wrote: This isn't a who do you like better thread. This is a who do you think will have the better season thread? John Ross or Tyler Boyd? Who has more catches? More yards? More TDs?

The poll lets you select multiple options. But I limited it to where you can only select 3 that way you don't try to be smart and check all the boxes. Smirk

I voted Boyd will have more catches and yards.

Ross will be the lightning in a bottle and score more TD's.

Good year for both but Ross will have games where he disappears and all of a sudden gets lose on one play.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I never watched Ross in college, but I thought you guys said he could catch????? He missed one that would have gone for his 2nd touchdown yesterday. Did he have a catching problem in college, or is this new???

This is new, he had very good hands in college.

I agree with Au165 here, he is just having a concentration problem right now. It will come.

(08-27-2018, 08:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: As I said, I think it'll come with playing time. He is basically a rookie this year, so I'd hope by week 3 or 4 it's behind him. 
  :andy:
Reply/Quote
Boyd will have close to 100 catches and 1000 yards this season. He is an undderrated player for us and a dark horse fantasy sleeper. I am not convinced Ross will be a full time player and I would watch out for Malone to steal some of his thunder.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 03:04 AM)Bryan Wrote: This isn't a who do you like better thread. This is a who do you think will have the better season thread? John Ross or Tyler Boyd? Who has more catches? More yards? More TDs?

Boyd does the dirty work ending up with more catches...    With his RedZone work going to TEs

John ross gets the big plays in with more yards and TDs.....
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I realize it's a concentration problem, that's why I was wondering if this was new, basically still a leftover from last year, or if he has always had this. From what I heard, he had great hands in college. He shows flashes of that here, but then drops balls he should easily catch.

game hasn't quite slowed down for him yet....  And he didn't get that first year to help with that either.
Reply/Quote
If all goes as it should Ross will have more catches, more yards, and more TDs. Boyd is solid but idk what he done to convince you guys he’s going to be a super productive WR3. Yes he had the GW TD vs the Ratbirds but i was disappointed in his overall play last year and even though he’s been okay in PreSeason its PreSeason. Ross is a first round pick he needs to clean up the drops and produce.
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 04:20 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: If all goes as it should Ross will have more catches, more yards, and more TDs. Boyd is solid but idk what he done to convince you guys he’s going to be a super productive WR3. Yes he had the GW TD vs the Ratbirds but i was disappointed in his overall play last year and even though he’s been okay in PreSeason its PreSeason. Ross is a first round pick he needs to clean up the drops and produce.

Boyd had the weed thing and i believe was injured most of last season.

He looks much more polished in his route running than when he was a rookie and had a very good season.

I think solid is the key word here. Boyd is just that, my boy Ross is just really raw.

As Xeno said, the game just hasn't slowed down for him yet but when it does....
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 04:20 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: If all goes as it should Ross will have more catches, more yards, and more TDs. Boyd is solid but idk what he done to convince you guys he’s going to be a super productive WR3. Yes he had the GW TD vs the Ratbirds but i was disappointed in his overall play last year and even though he’s been okay in PreSeason its PreSeason. Ross is a first round pick he needs to clean up the drops and produce.

Boyd is going to have a big impact because he is going to be our #1 3rd down target. I think Ross will have bigger plays but  Boyd will help us move the chains on a consistent basis.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Not so much what Boyd has done yet (although his rookie year was decent), but what we think he’ll do. Cutting LaFell means the coaches expect a lot out of Boyd this season.

Reply/Quote