Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster Surprises the Rest of the Way?
(08-27-2018, 09:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Regular season:
12-13 from 40+. 5-6 from 50+. 

Post Season:
7-7 total, 3-3 from 40+ (1 of which was 50+)

Don't know why so many people refuse to just acknowledge that he's a good kicker.

I dont think anyone is saying he's not a good kicker, at least from what I've seen. But there's a contingent here that believe he should have won the job (which he rightfully lost) and that he has been infallible as a kicker (which he has not). 82% is good, especially given some of the distance on his kicks, but it is by no means amazing or any more impressive then what Bullock has done for years. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 09:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know why so many people think Bullock is bad when he hit 90% last year.

Elliot has a little more leg, but tends to shank chip shots.  He doesn't make me "regret" going with Bullock.

My main concern regarding Bullock is the fact that, before last year, he was a journeyman with a career FG% of 81.3%.

If he keeps going at 90%, I will be unable to complain about him. My fear is he regresses back to what he was for the first 4 years of his career.

That and he is 50% from 50+ and 75% from 40+ in his career.

He's really good at chip shots though, I'll give him that (94% from 39 and below).

Comparatively, Elliot is 83.3%, 92.3% and 75%, respectively, from 50+, 40+ and chip shots.

Elliot still has a pretty small sample size, so 3 misses in chip shot range will likely not define his numbers for long. But hey. Maybe he just can't make the easy ones and it turns out that he is not fit to kick in this league.

We'll just have to wait and see. If Bullock continues to kick like last year (despite the lack of range potential) then we'll be just fine either way. 

But I just keep seeing Justin Tucker in Elliot every time I watch him kick. And when it comes to finding a "franchise kicker" that's the dream.
Reply/Quote
I think everyone's issue with Bullock is he's missed the only big kicks (game winners) he's had the opportunity to make. So he hasn't earned the trust of the fanbase.

Elliot has missed too, but hit his game winners.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Post Season:

Don't know why so many people refuse to just acknowledge that he's a good kicker.

... BUT just 4-7 from 30-39, 83.9% total FG%, 20th overall last year; just 39-42 on XPs for 92.9%, which was 26th overall ... 

0-1 this preseason (missed a 33-yarder v. the Browns) and 2-3 XPs, which is second to last overall (46/47) ... 

Sure, the 61-yd game winner was sexy, but it was only worth the same 3 points as the 3 he missed in the 30s.  So it's certainly possible that he's NOT a good kicker and we made the right decision by keeping Bullock.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 10:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Elliot did not hit any game winners.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000850551/Jake-Elliott-nails-a-61-yard-FG-to-win-the-game

He did.  I was there.
Reply/Quote
People are neglecting to mention it was also Elliott's rookie year so while yes he missed in that 30-39 range he has room to grow.

Yes Bullock had just over a 90% kick percentage but he was also not asked to kick from a distance all that often where Elliott looked great.

But...it's kickers we are talking about so the only time I want to hear their name is when the announcer says "...and the extra point is good".
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right..... I know some people love Browns leg, but I just don't see how anyone can legitimately complain about Bullock. He's about as solid as it gets in the kicking game...

Maybe Brown will be able to hold on to the practice squad since any team that takes him has to put him on their NFL roster.  I applaud them getting the guy in the fold.  He's fun to watch and still very young.  Could turn in to a real find.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 09:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't be placed on PUP.

Ahh, yes, because he's practiced.  
Reply/Quote
You kick a lot more below 39 yards.

XP > FGs

If you cant make the XP what are you doing there?
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Maybe Brown will be able to hold on to the practice squad since any team that takes him has to put him on their NFL roster.  I applaud them getting the guy in the fold.  He's fun to watch and still very young.  Could turn in to a real find.  

My hope as well.... I like Brown. I liked Elliott. I do not regret going with Bullock over either.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 09:30 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Tony McRae gets promoted.

This would count as a surprise, but I really like the way McRae plays. He returned a few kicks last preseason and did pretty well. And he looks good in coverage, whereas Phillips hasn't. I think we see Phillips and Harris go to PS for more development. '

Safety
Williams
Bates
Wilson
Fej
Henderson

CB
Jackson
Dre K
Dennard
Russell
Shaw 
McRae

I think we keep an extra DB this year, because we only keep 6 WRs.*

Missing Persons Report: Cody Core, 6'3" 210 lbs. Last seen sitting out preseason game in Buffalo, NY. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Was he #24, the guy getting those DPIs?  If so, I have a different opinion of his potential of making the team.  I thought he looked bad in coverage, trying to play the man's face, like in college, rather than playing the ball like a pro.

Yeah, #24 is CJ Goodwin. He had good coverage on the first PI. He just mis-timed his jump to contest the catch by Benjamin. The second one was a clear holding call against Zay Jones. 

Henderson is #41. He had a sack yesterday. He's had a couple of pass breakups, and he's shown himself to be a solid tackler. Hate to speak too soon, but if anyone looks like he has potential to unseat S. Williams, it's Henderson. Probably won't happen this year, but next year. 

Additional possible roster surprise: Chris Worley has looked awesome on STs. I think we keep an extra LB just for that purpose. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 10:12 AM)shanebo Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000850551/Jake-Elliott-nails-a-61-yard-FG-to-win-the-game

He did.  I was there.

Sorry.  Don't know how I missed that.
Reply/Quote
When it came to Elliot, it frustrated me more that the bengals essentially wasted a fifth round pick on a kicker. If a team invests that high of a draft pick on a kicker then they need to keep that guy. I'd say the bengals are pretty good at finding players later in the draft so it just seems like a missed opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:27 AM)Shady Wrote: Heading into the final preseason, do you see any legit roster surprises?  

The guys we expected to play well and keep or earn jobs did.

Cutting Iloka might have made it possible for us to keep Trayvon Henderson on the 53. He's our most impressive rookie DB by far IMHO. Otherwise, I don't see any surprises.

Someone who is gonna make our 53 man roster I think isn't even on the roster yet.....   

But that will happen during cut down days.

Maybe trade a fringe player for a Fringe Player...

(Cethan Carter Unseat Uzhoman?  maybe)
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 12:04 PM)MentalRage Wrote: When it came to Elliot, it frustrated me more that the bengals essentially wasted a fifth round pick on a kicker. If a team invests that high of a draft pick on a kicker then they need to keep that guy. I'd say the bengals are pretty good at finding players later in the draft so it just seems like a missed opportunity.

double edge sword there..  If you draft a guy in the 5th and he cant beat out the guy already on the roster  do you keep him? or keep the better player?
Reply/Quote

Post Season:

no one is saying he cant kick...

Why we didn't keep him was cause he wasn't kicking well before we had to make our choice.
Reply/Quote
Funny thing about Elliott is that the draft "experts" around here were ripping the Bengals mercilessly for "wasting a pick on Elliott" when Zane Gonzales still available.

Then the same guys ripped the Bengals for releasing the guy they "wasted a pick on".
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 12:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Someone who is gonna make our 53 man roster I think isn't even on the roster yet.....   

But that will happen during cut down days.

Maybe trade a fringe player for a Fringe Player...

(Cethan Carter Unseat Uzhoman?  maybe)

If Carter made that catch over the middle against the Bills maybe, but not now.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
XenoMorph Wrote:double edge sword there..  If you draft a guy in the 5th and he cant beat out the guy already on the roster  do you keep him? or keep the better player?

99 times out of 100 I would agree. Keep the guy that performs better. But when you spend a fifth round pick on a kicker you gotta keep him. If they knew going into the draft they would have a kicking competition no matter what then there is zero reason to take a kicker that early when they had bigger issues (o-line/LB). 

That's just my opinion. 
Reply/Quote