Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster moves..CB signed
2016 3rd round KC pick cut was cut yesterday and today was picked up by the Bengals. Chief's Nation was surprised by the cut. But you know Marvin..he never met a cornerback he didn't want

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/keivarae-russell?id=2555547

Trey Hopkins was released.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Well.... He's young
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:41 PM)pally Wrote: 2016 3rd round KC pick cut was cut yesterday and today was picked up by the Bengals.  Chief's Nation was surprised by the cut.  But you know Marvin..he never met a cornerback he didn't want

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/keivarae-russell?id=2555547

Trey Hopkins was released.

welcome to the jungle.... Wonder why he was cut you usually don't give up on a 3rd rounder that fast....

Get some STs Gunner time in while he learns the Defense this year.

So next year just with whats on the roster... and signed

A Jones
Kirkpatrick* not signed for next season
Dennard
Jackson III
Shaw
Russell

That gives the Bengal's a little leverage when negotiating Kirkpatrick's next deal if they pursue keeping him
Reply/Quote
Marvin loves some CB !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
considering how far back we are in the waiver claim list, a lot of bad teams with CB needs passed on them....reason to be nervous

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
3rd round pick, nice grab.

YXD called it.
Reply/Quote
Even after the new CBA, you have to screw up pretty bad as a 3rd rounder to be released the same year you were drafted. Obviously still worth a look though.

This kinda reminds me of that Texans LB we picked up a couple years ago that was sleeping through meetings, etc. Hopefully this one turns out better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Love that pickup, could turn into a steal for us. Obviously cut for a reason so let's not expect too much from the rookie too soon but low risk high reward. Really liked him in the draft
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:52 PM)pally Wrote: considering how far back we are in the waiver claim list, a lot of bad teams with CB needs passed on them....reason to be nervous

The guy broke his leg in college and had red flag for a cheating scandal at Notre Dame. 4.43 40 time is interesting.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs said football decision... A lot of KC beat writers are saying otherwise. Honestly maybe he made a mistake as a young man, Chiefs make a knee jerk reaction, and the bengals get a good yet probably very humbled talent.

Nothing but upside here... And all he needs to do is play special teams, practice, etc.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:52 PM)pally Wrote: considering how far back we are in the waiver claim list, a lot of bad teams with CB needs passed on them....reason to be nervous

Well he's a rookie and was just cut so probably safe to assume he won't be ready to contribute for a while. We can afford to let him learn at the back end of the roster. Those teams with CB needs you mentioned won't be helped in the immediate future by grabbing him
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:55 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Chiefs said football decision... A lot of KC beat writers are saying otherwise.  Honestly maybe he made a mistake as a young man, Chiefs make a knee jerk reaction, and the bengals get a good yet probably very humbled talent.

Nothing but upside here... And all he needs to do is play special teams, practice, etc.

Good info Bengalbug and very true.

On a side note don't like releasing Hopkins, liked the guy, so did Lap.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good info Bengalbug and very true.

On a side note don't like releasing Hopkins, liked the guy, so did Lap.

This is a good article about it....

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/15/12930446/why-i-dont-believe-keivarae-russells-release-was-a-real-football
Reply/Quote
He was from Notre Dame, wasn't he?
Reply/Quote
As others have said, there's relatively no risk here. We gain a third round draft pick in last year's draft essentially.

As for other team's passing on someone, it's not a new concept. The Bengals have been able to turn many castoffs into solid or better players. This one just happens to be younger than most of the castoffs they take on.

Maybe he just didn't fit in with what Kansas City was doing. I am surprised that they didn't try and trade him for something, at least. I guess they needed to get that extra OLB in and he was the one on the chopping block.
Reply/Quote
Like the move but why release Hopkins instead of Brown?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 06:29 PM)J24 Wrote: Like the move but why release Hopkins instead of Brown?

Russell is a total wildcard, coming off multiple leg injuries and the academic issues and whatever may have got him cut at KC.  He's not going to contribute this week and they didn't dress either reserve guard.  Hopkins is possibly the guy to go when Burfict comes back, so now it will be Brown or Russell himself if they find out he isn't worth it.  I asked in YXD's FA thread, but I believe they get him for his base salary as KC would likely have to pay his bonus money, but maybe I'm wrong.  Either way, it's a cheap pick which is reason enough to pick him up with only the knowledge your own scouts had on him.  Hardly any risk, could be a big reward. 
Reply/Quote
Sam Montgomery is the player I was thinking of. 3rd round pick of the Texans in 2013, they released him in '14 and we picked him up for awhile.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought I saw something back before the draft that we scouted him.

Well I'm sure he'll be inactive for a few weeks.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 07:01 PM)phil413 Wrote: Russell is a total wildcard, coming off multiple leg injuries and the academic issues and whatever may have got him cut at KC.  He's not going to contribute this week and they didn't dress either reserve guard.  Hopkins is possibly the guy to go when Burfict comes back, so now it will be Brown or Russell himself if they find out he isn't worth it.  I asked in YXD's FA thread, but I believe they get him for his base salary as KC would likely have to pay his bonus money, but maybe I'm wrong.  Either way, it's a cheap pick which is reason enough to pick him up with only the knowledge your own scouts had on him.  Hardly any risk, could be a big reward. 

Hopkins can play all 5 spots on the line if need be Brown is an ok corner who won't be active on Sunday either because of Dennards return.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote