Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster moves: Prince back from IR, Mike Thomas waived
(11-21-2022, 06:03 PM)pally Wrote: Each week, the team can protect 3 practice squad players from being poached by another team so the Bengals should they be so inclined will protect Trent Irwin

That sounds like the silliest rule ever.

Are you saying if I'm on the PS and a team contacts my agent to sign me to their 53, we can say: Nope, we're keeping him on our PS?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow they really did it. I didn't think they would cuzbof Thomas special team abilities... Good move. Irwin earned it..
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 08:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That sounds like the silliest rule ever.

Are you saying if I'm on the PS and a team contacts my agent to sign me to their 53, we can say: Nope, we're keeping him on our PS?

Agree, that does sound very silly and surely not correct. If it is correct then the players union needs to address this problem.

Maybe it comes with the caveat that if a team does turn in a claim you can either add him to your 53 man roster or lose him to the team claiming.

but to just force a player to stay on a PS when offered a contract does not seem fair

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 05:25 PM)pally Wrote: or they know that they can elevate Mike Thomas from the PS 3 times.  This is of course assuming Mike Thomas is signed to the PS and I don't see why that wouldn't happen unless he signs with another team first.  He's a free agent so we don't have to wait out the waiver wire

Dang, not even a chance another team signs Thomas imo, but I can hope. 

Irwin they may try to claim though, but guess he can be protected as you say. 

This is my Brandon Tate nightmare all over again. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Dang, not even a chance another team signs Thomas imo, but I can hope. 

Irwin they may try to claim though, but guess he can be protected as you say. 

This is my Brandon Tate nightmare all over again. 

Oh my God. Geez thanks a lot, I had COMPLETELY forgot about that guy.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:52 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Oh my God. Geez thanks a lot, I had COMPLETELY forgot about that guy.

My sincerest apologies 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree, that does sound very silly and surely not correct. If it is correct then the players union needs to address this problem.

Maybe it comes with the caveat that if a team does turn in a claim you can either add him to your 53 man roster or lose him to the team claiming.

but to just force a player to stay on a PS when offered a contract does not seem fair
If that is true;  Ican't imagine any player being happy about being protected on the PS. 

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: If that is true;  Ican't imagine any player being happy about being protected on the PS. 

Pally seems to know what she’s talking about in this area.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 01:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Pally seems to know what she’s talking about in this area.

Yeah, I see where they can do it starting on Tuesday, so if you want another Team's PS player you can have your pick on Monday. So there is a risk of having a player revert back to the PS.

But as I said; it's a silly rule; they're denying a player a possible game-day check. 

Reply/Quote
We brought Kareem back from IR and to the 53 man roster and cut him the next day then brought him back to the practice squad a day later. Hopefully we are able to do that with Prince and bring Irwin up.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 08:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I may not be remembering correctly but t I seem to remember him doing pretty well as a 3rd tackle last year. If his job is just to go maul someone he does ok.

Prince started the final 8 games we played last season.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 02:29 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We brought Kareem back from IR and to the 53 man roster and cut him the next day then brought him back to the practice squad a day later. Hopefully we are able to do that with Prince and bring Irwin up.

Prince wasn't on the PS last year nor this season. Him staying on the active roster may depend on the team's belief in D Smith..???

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 02:29 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We brought Kareem back from IR and to the 53 man roster and cut him the next day then brought him back to the practice squad a day later. Hopefully we are able to do that with Prince and bring Irwin up.

This is another potential scenario but it also seems that they could re-sign Mike Thomas under it too. They cut him in August on a handshake deal to make room for the IR guys on the initial 53. Brought him back the next day. Mike is a vested vet who doesn’t face the waiver wire. He’s a safe cut if they just needed a 1 day transaction to open a spot to maneuver Prince in order to waive him without an injury settlement. They cannot waive from IR without one and cannot place anyone directly on the PS from IR.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 01:56 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I see where they can do it starting on Tuesday, so if you want another Team's PS player you can have your pick on Monday. So there is a risk of having a player revert back to the PS.

But as I said; it's a silly rule; they're denying a player a possible game-day check. 

They can be poached Sunday Night or Monday. Protection starts on Tuesday. And, if a player is activated for game day, they receive 3 weeks of active roster pay, regardless of when they revert. So they really are not losing money. He gets paid for 3 weeks, and if another team wants him they just wait till the next week. The protection is not ongoing and the team can only protect 4 players. If they keep protecting the same guy, he's going to get a season worth of game checks.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 09:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They can be poached Sunday Night or Monday. Protection starts on Tuesday. And, if a player is activated for game day, they receive 3 weeks of active roster pay, regardless of when they revert. So they really are not losing money. He gets paid for 3 weeks, and if another team wants him they just wait till the next week. The protection is not ongoing and the team can only protect 4 players. If they keep protecting the same guy, he's going to get a season worth of game checks.

Imagine getting your 1st TD and you game checks hit the next payday

Irwin must be having a great week
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I don't hate Mike Thomas. I hate the fact that they have somehow convinced themselves that he's the best they can find off of the street for the 3rd straight year now.

He's pure trash as a WR and maybe I'm missing it but I don't see any outstanding special teams performances either. I've seen lots of Stanley Morgan highlights and replays on special teams throughout the last two years. I don't recall seeing many Mike Thomas highlights, if any at all.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 12:50 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I don't hate Mike Thomas. I hate the fact that they have somehow convinced themselves that he's the best they can find off of the street for the 3rd straight year now.

He's pure trash as a WR and maybe I'm missing it but I don't see any outstanding special teams performances either. I've seen lots of Stanley Morgan highlights and replays on special teams throughout the last two years. I don't recall seeing many Mike Thomas highlights, if any at all.

I don't hate Thomas either. But he's one of those questions I can't figure out. Like you say he's not a very good WR and I'm trying to be nice. And I don't get why he's called a ST monster?

Only thing I can figure is he's just a great guy everybody likes. But you don't win NFL games by keeping substandard guys everybody likes.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 12:50 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I don't hate Mike Thomas. I hate the fact that they have somehow convinced themselves that he's the best they can find off of the street for the 3rd straight year now.

Hate to hear your description if you really hated him.lol
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 12:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't hate Thomas either. But he's one of those questions I can't figure out. Like you say he's not a very good WR and I'm trying to be nice. And I don't get why he's called a ST monster?

Only thing I can figure is he's just a great guy everybody likes. But you don't win NFL games by keeping substandard guys everybody likes.

But, but he get's everyone's coffee orders perfect, on the first try..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 09:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They can be poached Sunday Night or Monday. Protection starts on Tuesday. And, if a player is activated for game day, they receive 3 weeks of active roster pay, regardless of when they revert. So they really are not losing money. He gets paid for 3 weeks, and if another team wants him they just wait till the next week. The protection is not ongoing and the team can only protect 4 players. If they keep protecting the same guy, he's going to get a season worth of game checks.

That makes more sense then

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote