Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster turnover
(11-24-2021, 01:48 PM)jason Wrote: I remember seeing Hue Jackson cussing out Chris Henry when I was sitting in the 8th or 9th row. I clearly heard I don't give a f*** come outta Hue's mouth. Not that that happened between them a lot, but it certainly did that day.

Seen that a few times as well but not as highlighted to me per sitting on opposite end of bench. Plus his tenure not as long. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: These numbers don't make any sense because you are not comparing the numbers before Carlos was benched with the numbers after.

In the first six games of the year Bledsoe and Kareem averaged a combined 32 snaps per game played.  Over the final 10 games Kareem averaged 25.9 and Bledsoe 29.4.  Lawson's numbers just increased slightly from 41.6 to 47.3.

What are you trying to correlate here?  That the run defense suffered after Carlos was shipped off?  That was one tangent you seemed to be trying to prove earlier, now I have no idea what your point is.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 10:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: he was still an "impact talent".  His production the second half of the season with Seattle proves this.

Only difference was coaching.

Coaching or his effort? 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 12:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Wait. Who are we talking about "HOF player"?

Well, perhaps AJ Green, but I was making fun of a little too much love for Carlos Dunlap.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 12:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Carlos played LDE. Hubbard and Lawson played RDE.

Lawson and Los rotated at LDE.  Once Lawson proved he was better on run downs as well, he got even more snaps at LDE.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 01:30 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I wouldn't hang your hat on the fact that old Lou decided to demote Carlos. He has done some very stupid things that no defensive coordinator should do.

Give me some examples of poor personnel decisions by Lou.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 11:51 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The Dunlap debate is so stale, much like his play right before he left.

Who cares about Carlos, we got a new bad dude in town that’s gonna break  the Bengals single season sack record this year…

My exact thoughts. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 07:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lawson and Los rotated at LDE.  Once Lawson proved he was better on run downs as well, he got even more snaps at LDE.  

No. Los played LDE. Hubbard and Lawson rotated at RDE early, then Hubbard took more snaps at LDE late when Los' snaps went down.

Los had 370 snaps at LEO and 144 snaps at REO. 
Hubbard had 405 snaps at LEO and 77 snaps at REO.
Lawson had a total of 16 snaps at LEO and 532 snaps at REO.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 07:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Give me some examples of poor personnel decisions by Lou.  

Well in 2019 when we played the Rams Brandin Cooks went out on the 1st series and they had already leaned heavily on Kupp. So anyone who even casually watched football would think to double Kupp but instead we let him go for 220yds and 1 TD. That's an example of general ineptitude. I'd just look at those 1st 2 years and we were just generally terrible. While I know this year we have been good I think the loss to the Jets and the severity of the loss to the Browns are really on Lou. You don't let Mike White throw for 400+yds at 3.7 YPA and not have some personnel/scheme issues. Also on some of the key plays the Browns had we had some wacky formations and players lined up in unusual positions. I'd also like to point out that the Jets and the Browns looked terrible before we played them and have looked terrible since.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 10:56 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well in 2019 when we played the Rams Brandin Cooks went out on the 1st series and they had already leaned heavily on Kupp. So anyone who even casually watched football would think to double Kupp but instead we let him go for 220yds and 1 TD. That's an example of general ineptitude. I'd just look at those 1st 2 years and we were just generally terrible. While I know this year we have been good I think the loss to the Jets and the severity of the loss to the Browns are really on Lou. You don't let Mike White throw for 400+yds at 3.7 YPA and not have some personnel/scheme issues. Also on some of the key plays the Browns had we had some wacky formations and players lined up in unusual positions. I'd also like to point out that the Jets and the Browns looked terrible before we played them and have looked terrible since.

Perhaps you're unsure what personnel decision means

Tre Waynes appears to be a poor personnel decision.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 07:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Give me some examples of poor personnel decisions by Lou.  

He brought BW Webb here with him... For depth or not, that dude SUCKED. Lou was very familiar with him too.

But whatever... The defense is playing better this year. It should with all the money that's been thrown at it, but we all know in our heart of hearts we could do better than Lou Anarumo.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 02:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Seen that a few times as well but not as highlighted to me per sitting on opposite end of bench. Plus his tenure not as long. 

Yeah... It was pretty heated. I don't think either of them were outta line, but Henry wasn't quietly taking Hue's loud profane criticism either.

The few times I've sat that close behind the bench have been interesting. I was at the Giants game in 2012 I think. We pretty much blew them out, so toward the end I was really watching players interact on the bench. I remember seeing Pacman reenact either a long punt return or an interception. They're like kids sometimes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
One thing about roster turnover....on one hand the staff were the only idiots that wanted some of the lesser players they scuttled, but on the other, we're not sure they had any hand in targeting and getting better players... Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 10:56 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well in 2019 when we played the Rams Brandin Cooks went out on the 1st series and they had already leaned heavily on Kupp. So anyone who even casually watched football would think to double Kupp but instead we let him go for 220yds and 1 TD. That's an example of general ineptitude. I'd just look at those 1st 2 years and we were just generally terrible. While I know this year we have been good I think the loss to the Jets and the severity of the loss to the Browns are really on Lou. You don't let Mike White throw for 400+yds at 3.7 YPA and not have some personnel/scheme issues. Also on some of the key plays the Browns had we had some wacky formations and players lined up in unusual positions. I'd also like to point out that the Jets and the Browns looked terrible before we played them and have looked terrible since.

The casual fan is generally wrong and doesn’t know much about football. The NFL as a whole is very zone heavy, which makes double coverage difficult since your players are assigned to areas of the field. Overall, you’re going to see a lot of MOF coverage, so cover 1 and cover 3. In cover 3, you aren’t covering anyone but covering an area of the field. In cover 1, you’re running man with a single high safety.

In cover 1, you typically have two free defenders - one high, one low. The defender high will play seam help but could be used to bracket or double whereas the defender low is going to be playing RAT (rob and trade). You have some flexibility here. However, like I mentioned, the NFL is zone heavy and you can’t just double someone in zone because you leave a hole. Generally, to double a WR just means you have a guy manned up with help over the top. You also might have a RAT low for routes over the middle.

Contrary to popular belief, NFL coaches really know their shit and a casual fan can’t tell them anything. The casual fan would struggle to hold a conversation with high school coaches. That doesn’t mean that coaches can’t be critiqued, but to say that they make issues even the casual fan could avoid is silly.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 10:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps you're unsure what personnel decision means

Tre Waynes appears to be a poor personnel decision.

I guess I would think how you use a player as a personnel decision not just what player you play. But maybe I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 11:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The casual fan is generally wrong and doesn’t know much about football. The NFL as a whole is very zone heavy, which makes double coverage difficult since your players are assigned to areas of the field. Overall, you’re going to see a lot of MOF coverage, so cover 1 and cover 3. In cover 3, you aren’t covering anyone but covering an area of the field. In cover 1, you’re running man with a single high safety.

In cover 1, you typically have two free defenders - one high, one low. The defender high will play seam help but could be used to bracket or double whereas the defender low is going to be playing RAT (rob and trade). You have some flexibility here. However, like I mentioned, the NFL is zone heavy and you can’t just double someone in zone because you leave a hole. Generally, to double a WR just means you have a guy manned up with help over the top. You also might have a RAT low for routes over the middle.

Contrary to popular belief, NFL coaches really know their shit and a casual fan can’t tell them anything. The casual fan would struggle to hold a conversation with high school coaches. That doesn’t mean that coaches can’t be critiqued, but to say that they make issues even the casual fan could avoid is silly.

I know that there's a lot to coverage's and defensive schemes and I'm not pretending to know anywhere near a coach at any level. But coaches can out think themselves or not adjust there scheme to match a certain situation that a casual fan can clearly see is a problem. I can tell watching the game that we can't give Mike White 400yds at 3.7YPA and maybe we should cover the running back. Now I might not be able to call the defensive to use to achieve this but apparently neither can Lou. But I'm not a NFL defensive coordinator. 
Reply/Quote

Two year contract extension for Preston Brown then cut him 8 games into it.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 10:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No. Los played LDE. Hubbard and Lawson rotated at RDE early, then Hubbard took more snaps at LDE late when Los' snaps went down.

Los had 370 snaps at LEO and 144 snaps at REO. 
Hubbard had 405 snaps at LEO and 77 snaps at REO.
Lawson had a total of 16 snaps at LEO and 532 snaps at REO.

Do you have a link for this?  Who was playing LDE last year?
Reply/Quote

Those look to be team issues, and the challenge was "personnel decisions".  Where did he promote a turd and kick out a stud?
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 11:02 PM)jason Wrote: He brought BW Webb here with him... For depth or not, that dude SUCKED. Lou was very familiar with him too.

But whatever... The defense is playing better this year. It should with all the money that's been thrown at it, but we all know in our heart of hearts we could do better than Lou Anarumo.

That's a pretty good one, although I think Webb was a band aid on an axe wound of a defense.  But that was a poor personnel choice.  I don't think he got rid of a solid player to start Webb, though.  He was simply trying to fill a hole with a veteran that knew his system.  

Like Ricardo Allen.  When I saw his name in the offseason, I was like "eh?", but he has proven to be a solid addition and allows Lou to rotate some "big nickel" looks with three safeties.  That is something the Pats almost do as their base defense, and it just gives a QB a little more "pause" because it creates some new looks and allows the pass rush another split second to get home.

Look, I know Anarumo has been the whipping boy around here, much like ZT before him, but I said I would give him this season as a "no excuses"-type season.  You know what?  He has done a damn good job.  In this division, and today's high-flying NFL offenses, he has done a damn good job.

The defense was extremely good the first seven weeks of the season.  SEVEN STRAIGHT WEEKS.  No clunkers at all.  Then, on their third straight road game, they got beat by the Jets.  They still should have won that game, up 11 in the 4th quarter, but it was a bad day for the defense.  They followed that up with another bad outing against the Browns.  Then, the Raiders game.  

They shut down their slot WR and completely eliminated their other WRs.  Waller had a solid day, but no one else did.  Against a desperate team, on the road, that has a pretty good offense and a veteran QB.  Held Derek Carr to 85 yards below his game average yardage, and forced two turnovers.  Held them to just 72 yards rushing. 

The remainder of the schedule has three more AFC North games, and he had great games against pitt and Baltimore.  Now, they get them at home.

I have no doubt the offense will put up 24 points or more every game.  Whether the Bengals make the playoffs will rest on Lou's shoulders.  He has earned my trust to this point.  10 games in and his defense has only had 2 poor outings.  Say they have two more poor outings down the final 7 games, then I would say the Bengals will be 11-6 and possibly win the division.  

Based on what this team had last year, if he does that, I think he should be in serious consideration of an assistant coach of the year award.  

Yes, there is a lot of time to go, but he has earned that discussion to this point.  

What has me so excited is that 5 of the next 6 are at home!  Almost no travel!  Look how the defense performed when they weren't on the road for three straight games (one of just two teams to have that on thier schedule). 

Who Dey!   Who Dey
Reply/Quote