Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roundup Payout
What think we on this one:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-jury-says-bayer-must-pay-2-billion-212042275--finance.html

Quote:A California jury on Monday awarded more than $2 billion to a couple who claimed Bayer AG's glyphosate-based Roundup weed killer caused their cancer, in the largest U.S. jury verdict to date against the company in litigation over the chemical.

The large punitive damages award is likely to be reduced due to U.S. Supreme Court rulings that limit the ratio of punitive to compensatory damages to 9:1. The jury awarded a total of $2 billion in punitive damages and $55 million in compensatory damages.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Poor investment on Bayer's part. Seems excessive given what the article says about most regulators saying that glyphosate is not a carcinogen.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

About the $2 billion?

Astronomical silly amount that will be reduced,as most of those super huge numbers tend to get shrunk.
(05-14-2019, 12:03 AM)Benton Wrote: About the $2 billion?

Astronomical silly amount that will be reduced,as most of those super huge numbers tend to get shrunk.

Nah, actually about the rewarding of anything given the testimony that the ingredients have been shown not to cause cancer. 

I've seen a suggestion that they will be forced to put a warning label on the product that states:

"Warning, this product may cause cancer in California".  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-14-2019, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, actually about the rewarding of anything given the testimony that the ingredients have been shown not to cause cancer. 

I've seen a suggestion that they will be forced to put a warning label on the product that states:

"Warning, this product may cause cancer in California".  

Well, not to be nitpicky, but the chemicals are "not likely to cause cancer." If a good attorney can convince a jury that in their instance it was more likely, that's a good attorney. Hell someone just convinced a judge to suppress the Kraft video, convincing a jury that the couple only shared one thing in common (round up) should've been easier.
Have any of you guys seen the movie "Michael Clayton"? Hearing this news on the way home today I couldn't help but be reminded of it. I'd highly recommend it, it is a great watch.
I'm not paying it.

Bayer should have had better lawyers I guess.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-15-2019, 11:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not paying it.

Bayer should have had better lawyers I guess.

I like that show. (in your signature)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall