Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Run Blocking and Runners Looked Weak To Me
I watched most of 1st Half, and it was boring me. So I changed over to a movie.  I wasn't that impressed with Bengals Blockers or Bengals Running Backs, the 2 things I tuned in to see.  To me they looked like a Last Place team still, and good thing they have about 30 days until regular season.  As teams cut players, Bengals may want to watch for running backs and blockers cut from other teams, because Bengals depth at both look very weak to me.

I saw no running lanes opening. Same old story. Runners looked like they were running into a brick wall. I saw no run blocking in 1st half. Back-up runners looked questionable also. I did not see a team that is going to be able to run the ball in the AFC North.

So how did The Bengals look to you ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:50 AM)kevin Wrote: I watched most of 1st Half, and it was boring me. So I changed over to a movie.  I wasn't that impressed with Bengals Blockers or Bengals Running Backs, the 2 things I tuned in to see.  To me they looked like a Last Place team still, and good thing they have about 30 days until regular season.  As teams cut players, Bengals may want to watch for running backs and blockers cut from other teams, because Bengals depth at both look very weak to me.

I don't know. Maybe check a few of the other posts where people are talking about the game?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:51 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know. Maybe check a few of the other posts where people are talking about the game?

So in other words, you don't have an opinion on how The Bengals look.  Well, maybe someone else does. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:57 AM)kevin Wrote: So in other words, you don't have an opinion on how The Bengals look.  Well, maybe someone else does. 

I've....given my opinion, in the other threads.

That's what i'm trying to tell you. People are talking about the game in other threads. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think you had the wrong game on Kevin lol
Reply/Quote
It's almost as if you lost interest because they weren't getting decimated. I found it to be a very enjoyable game, especially when our defense was on the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:59 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I've....given my opinion, in the other threads.

That's what i'm trying to tell you. People are talking about the game in other threads. 

OK, fine.  I've changed name of thread.  Instead of How Did Bengals Look In Preseason Game One ?, that is gone. Replaced by Run Blocking and Runners looked Weak To Me.   Now on this people can either agree or disagree.  That was my take on the game. I saw no improvement on Run Blocking in the 1st Half from the last few years awful run blocking. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
No idea what you were looking at, but the run blocking was fine. We had guys getting to the next level, they opened up some nice holes (especially for Patrick), and there was even a couple pancakes (one notably by Carman on the goal line).

But my favorite block of the night was Jonah rag dolling a DB out in space on Chase’s screen play.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:24 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, fine.  I've changed name of thread.  Instead of How Did Bengals Look In Preseason Game One ?, that is gone. Replaced by Run Blocking and Runners looked Weak To Me.   Now on this people can either agree or disagree.  That was my take on the game. I saw no improvement on Run Blocking in the 1st Half from the last few years awful run blocking. 

Yawn Yawn Yawn
Reply/Quote
I personally put more of the struggles on the RB's than the OL. I'm sorry, but Perrine is garbage and always has been. Evans has talent, but he's also unfortunately one of those guys that's trying to hit a home run every carry and tries to bounce it outside all the time instead of cramming it into the hole and taking the 2-3 yards that are there. When Patrick got a couple of carries in the 1st half, he had no problem hitting the hole and gaining positive yardage.
Reply/Quote
the defense was the talk of the town. The O-line just changed in jersey names, pretty much the same. The RUN TD by the Bucs steam rolled it in. Our run TD had to go to the side after a couple of attempts, half body in for the TD. Evans had better success and even Patrick started getting momentum as the game went on.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:51 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: the defense was the talk of the town. The O-line just changed in jersey names, pretty much the same. The RUN TD by the Bucs steam rolled it in. Our run TD had to go to the side after a couple of attempts, half body in for the TD.  Evans had better success and even Patrick started getting momentum as the game went on.

They wanted to get a look at Evans, but he is obviously not going to be the pick of backs to take it in on a goal line run. That's going to be Mixon, Perine or Patrick. Evan's forte is shiftiness in the middle of the field. He got close on his first two attempts. I suspect any of the bigger backs would have pushed it through on any of those attempts.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They wanted to get a look at Evans, but he is obviously not going to be the pick of backs to take it in on a goal line run. That's going to be Mixon, Perine or Patrick. Evan's forte is shiftiness in the middle of the field. He got close on his first two attempts. I suspect any of the bigger backs would have pushed it through on any of those attempts.

Patrick seems to be able to carry the rock and considering his size, he was pretty nifty. Would like to see him play more, heck, make him into a Full Back.
Reply/Quote
Last night the run blocking for the Bengals was still well below league average but it was vastly improved over 2020. Last year’s effort was beyond putrid and considered historically bad by every analyst in the game.

After 2020 the only direction the offensive line has to go with respect to run blocking is up; I give mad props to Frank Pollack for not accepting the status quo.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 01:02 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Patrick seems to be able to carry the rock and considering his size, he was pretty nifty. Would like to see him play more, heck, make him into a Full Back.

He looks really promising. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:50 AM)kevin Wrote: I watched most of 1st Half, and it was boring me. So I changed over to a movie.  I wasn't that impressed with Bengals Blockers or Bengals Running Backs, the 2 things I tuned in to see.  To me they looked like a Last Place team still, and good thing they have about 30 days until regular season.  As teams cut players, Bengals may want to watch for running backs and blockers cut from other teams, because Bengals depth at both look very weak to me.

I saw no running lanes opening. Same old story. Runners looked like they were running into a brick wall. I saw no run blocking in 1st half. Back-up runners looked questionable also. I did not see a team that is going to be able to run the ball in the AFC North.

I don't disagree with your take. But it was just way to little of a sample size. I think Mixon only had like a carry maybe two. We got the starters out of there pretty quick. It's gonna take some time  and they have to figure out who the definitve line is plus tampa is no slouch on defense. The preseason is no time to get to high or low.
Reply/Quote
I thought the starting unit had trouble opening any running lanes for sure. Perine didn't do anything. Evans had a couple nice runs, but they were more due to him making a nice move than the run blocking. Patrick played well when our second string line was going against the 3rd string defense.

Our one TD drive was heavily aided by the refs. We had two gamechanging plays reversed (INT and big sack) due to questionable calls. We gave up those plays to begin with which is not very good to see. Yes the calls reversed the outcome, but it doesn't change the fact that we gave up some big momentum killing plays. Perine fumble was a huge play as well. The blocking was bad on that play. Play call wasn't great as the defense saw it coming as well. Then of course Perine can't hold onto the ball. Turnover turns into 6 points the other way on the next drive.

I liked what I saw from Evans. But I still think Bernard would be better right now. I get that Evans is younger though, and they want to move to younger players. However, Bernard was amazing at pass blocking (one of our biggest weaknesses); he was great in open space in both the run and pass game. Bottom line is Bernard is smart. It will take Evans a long time to get to were Bernard is in understanding how to block, and do all of the little things.

I didn't see much from our offensive line to tell me they were better than last year. I saw Hobson pointed out that we didn't give up any sacks. Well they had a clear runner with a huge sack that could have been a forced fumble, but it was called back on a questionable roughing the passer call when it didn't look like his helmet hit the QB. We also had the defense break free on Allen and he made a bonehead throw into coverage that was picked (then fumbled back to our offense). I saw a lot of pressure, even though we didn't technically give up a sack.

I saw too many turnovers by our backup QBs and fumbles by our skill players. One interception was called back on a questionable holding call (another bonehead throw).

Yes, there were bright spots. But overall it was a sloppy game and I didn't see enough from the oline that proved anything to me. Hopefully we see that improve. The oline and turnovers have been the worst part of our game the past few years. I didn't see anything in this game to prove that we turned a corner there.

On defense our pass rush, run defense, and coverage have been our worst part of our game. I am hopeful about our pass rush and run D. The starters looked decent in pass coverage. The second string looked terrible though. We need to develop more depth there.

Overall I think our pass game will have to set up our run game. We've got a lot of talent at wideout and Burrow is very good. I think we can make some noise. Our starters on D are good as well. Depth is a question mark but I think we will definitely be better than last year if we can stay healthy. Still a ways to go with the oline and developing our depth.

Gotta fix the turnovers as well.. One momentum killing fumble that turned into 6 on the next drive. One pick six when we were up 10 to open the door back up for the opponent (I understand this QB won't make the team, but still). Our backup skill players need to take care of the ball. Brandon Allen needs to make better decisions as well (he could see playing time this year).
Reply/Quote

Dude , come on. We could have the cowboys line circa 1992 and you would say they sucked.. They played good last night. Especially for first game action of the year....
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: I personally put more of the struggles on the RB's than the OL. I'm sorry, but Perrine is garbage and always has been.  Evans has talent, but he's also unfortunately one of those guys that's trying to hit a home run every carry and tries to bounce it outside all the time instead of cramming it into the hole and taking the 2-3 yards that are there.  When Patrick got a couple of carries in the 1st half, he had no problem hitting the hole and gaining positive yardage.

What in the **** were you guys watching????!! Eva s hit the line hard and low on all of his inside runs.. The couple outside were designed that way.. Some of you guys don't even know what you are watching. Lol. They were even talking about how.low and hard Evans hits the holes...
Reply/Quote
I think you can't take much away from preseason games in "We can't run block" or "We can't run". Preseason is this weird mix of starters and backups, and then works down the depth chart. I think the better way to view preseason is through individual accomplishments. Joe Mixon had 1 attempt for 3 yards. The line was cycling pretty heavily. None of that is indicative of what we will see through the season.

I think that my impressions are that we have good depth at RB. I think Evans will be able to fill a similar role to what Gio did last season. Patrick looked really good and may challenge Perine in the near future.

I liked the blocking a lot better than last year, but it still needs work. Most of the major issues I saw on the line came from Vogel, who honestly is a camp body. I was impressed with Reiff's ability to get wide on the Chase screen. I think our rookies are going to need time to develop. Price looked better than expected, but I still don't trust him.

Our defense looked really good. Ossai impressed. Hendrickson had a good first drive. In the second half, Bachie impressed and looks like he could become a depth piece.

For players that looked like they had no business being on the field:
Tony Brown- He was being exploited so hard I couldn't even tell you what other CBs were on the field with him. Him being on the field hindered everyone else from being able to shine.
Mike Thomas- Still has fumble issues, at best would be our WR5, I'm partial to Stanley Morgan in that spot, although Irwin could compete for that spot if he wasn't being thrown balls by....
Kyle Shurmur- Just cut him now. Camp body isn't even accurate. If something did force us to play him....fingers crossed it never happens....we'd go sign someone else anyway. Hard to evaluate anything from the offense in the second half he was so bad.
Vogel- Undrafted rookie tackle that didn't play well at all. Nothing really good to comment about him. But its not as if we had high hopes for him coming in. Maybe he can improve on the practice squad being young...
Reply/Quote