Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run it, Walk it, Burn it
(04-12-2024, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't consider a 297 lb DT to be a 0T/1T. I have him as my #1/2 3T.
Should I be considering him as someone who can take Reader's spot and the run game not suffer from a smaller dude being in there?

Yes. Byron Murphy is a stud run stopper, don't care about his size and he can gain weight if needed.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't consider a 297 lb DT to be a 0T/1T. I have him as my #1/2 3T.
Should I be considering him as someone who can take Reader's spot and the run game not suffer from a smaller dude being in there?

Murphy played closer to 305 which would put him close to Teair Tart. The Grady Jarrett comps for Murphy are pretty spot on. 

I don't think anyone in this entire draft class can replace what DJ Reader did... consistently 2-Gapping both A gaps from a 2i alignment is special stuff.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 03:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Murphy played closer to 305 which would put him close to Teair Tart. The Grady Jarrett comps for Murphy are pretty spot on. 

I don't think anyone in this entire draft class can replace what DJ Reader did... consistently 2-Gapping both A gaps from a 2i alignment is special stuff.

Yeah, I don't think Sweat can replace Reader, actually Murphy would be closer from watching both play NT.

I saw Murphy taking up 2 blockers a lot in his highlights.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 02:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gotta kind of disagree on Tackle and Thomas Jr Brad. If there is one thing that could help Pollack out it would be to get a polished Tackle 
rather than a guy that needs a lot of work. Brian Thomas Jr is about the only outside WR that would be available at 18 that wouldn't be 
a reach. We have lots of Slot Recievers. Chase, Chuck, Irwin, Gesicki can all play Slot. We need speed on the outside to take the top off of
Defenses. Iosivas can do this and of course so can Chase, but speed on the outside is missing besides these 2 guys.

Tee isn't near as fast as Brian Thomas Jr on the field IMO.
Fair enough.

I guess it's just that I have such little faith in Pollack that, as I've mentioned, I feel like we'd be wasting a first round pick.

Thomas is good, but we also still have Tee, so I feel like we'd be wasting the pick.

He would be good to see with Burrow, but, like I said, we have Tee. If we trade Tee, my opinion would change.
(04-12-2024, 02:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: Cool and good sense of humor, Brad.

Life's short....... can't take it too seriously!
Reply/Quote

I am finding this about Brock Bowers.

According to Pro Football Focus:
Bowers tallied 1,487 yards after the catch (YAC) in his career at Georgia, averaging 8.5 YAC per reception.

Per PFF:
• Dominant in advanced stats:
Bowers leads all Power Five tight ends since 2014 in PFF receiving grade, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns,
receiving yards after contact and missed tackles forced on receptions.

*The Bengals should consider a small Trade up for him.  He is not your Cookie Cutter Tight End. He is elusive once he gets the ball as a runner.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 03:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Murphy played closer to 305 which would put him close to Teair Tart. The Grady Jarrett comps for Murphy are pretty spot on. 

Can Murphy take some snaps as a NT?  Yes.  Will he be able to consistently play there, especially as a rookie?  No.  I mean, even though he actually lined up more at NT than Sweat, he actually played less total snaps than Sweat and Sweat was subbed heavily.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 04:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Can Murphy take some snaps as a NT?  Yes.  Will he be able to consistently play there, especially as a rookie?  No.  I mean, even though he actually lined up more at NT than Sweat, he actually played less total snaps than Sweat and Sweat was subbed heavily.  

And Reader didn't play a ton of snaps either, NT's typically don't. The difference is Murphy is a very good pass rusher as well.
Reply/Quote
Run it, Fuaga. Can’t explain it. He’s my draft crush this year.

Walk it. Bowers. If he’s really the pick I’d be happy with it. Not stumping for him but I’d be ok with it.

Burn it. Latu. Don’t want aguy in 1 that already medically retired. I don’t care if he’s been cleared, not worth the risk imho. I felt this was about mins too but I’ve relaxed my stance on it
Reply/Quote

Maybe my thinking is (highly) outdated, but I think 305 is also too small for 0T/1T.
You mention Grady Jarrett, but I've never considered him a NT either.
I've always looked at him more in the BJ Hill role.

It's why I'm worried about the run stopping ability of Hill+Rankins. Both are sub-315.
I want to see a big guy lined up next to Hill/Rankins.
So that's why I'm wanting Sweat or Jackson.
I think they are more traditional run-stopping, gap-eating types.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 10:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe my thinking is (highly) outdated, but I think 305 is also too small for 0T/1T.
You mention Grady Jarrett, but I've never considered him a NT either.
I've always looked at him more in the BJ Hill role.

It's why I'm worried about the run stopping ability of Hill+Rankins. Both are sub-315.
I want to see a big guy lined up next to Hill/Rankins.
So that's why I'm wanting Sweat or Jackson.
I think they are more traditional run-stopping, gap-eating types.

Makes sense from history, but not from watching Byron Murphy on the field. He plays much bigger than his weight from what I see and made
Sweat look better than he actually was. Murphy was the brute that freed up others to make plays and even while being doubled was able to 
make plays stopping the run. Size isn't everything for NT unlike back in the day, strength means much more and Byron Murphy is insanely strong.

I only take Sweat if it is mid to late rounds and we haven't taken a NT yet after his dumbass actions.

Might not even see an NFL field how dumb this guy is.
Reply/Quote
RUN IT: T TALIESE FUAGA,

WALK IT: T JC LATHAM

BURN IT: WR BRIAN THOMAS JR
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 01:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Roll at a very high speed- Bowers. Everyone knows my position here. I'd immediately put very large sums of money on us winning the ship, Bowers for ROY, and Burrow winning MVP.

Crawl- Any tackle. Don't get me wrong because it's our biggest position of need, especially since next year's draft class isn't nearly as strong, but I just don't trust Pollack to coach a draft pick well enough to make it worthy of a first round pick. If we do pick one, I'll cheer for him and put my bias aside, but I just don't trust the value there. I'd rather take a guy with sleeper potential in the third or fourth and just hope they can develop since their ceiling would be just as limited under Pollack.

Burn it- Thomas. I just don't think he's worth the first round pick. He's sloppy with his route running and isn't all that physical. He is a solid deep threat, which would be money for Burrow, but I also want a guy that will be where Burrow expects him to be and that can be more physical. Receivers are a dime a dozen, and I get that there's exceptions that make guys worthy of a high pick, but I don't think Thomas is one of them.

im with you on Thomas, I think he's overrated because of the QB and WR1 he played with.  I have both Ladd and Mitchell higher than him.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Yet when given the choice at Texas, they played him there over sweat and he performed better.  Go figure

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 04:00 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I am finding this about Brock Bowers.

According to Pro Football Focus:
Bowers tallied 1,487 yards after the catch (YAC) in his career at Georgia, averaging 8.5 YAC per reception.

Per PFF:
• Dominant in advanced stats:
Bowers leads all Power Five tight ends since 2014 in PFF receiving grade, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns,
receiving yards after contact and missed tackles forced on receptions.

*The Bengals should consider a small Trade up for him.  He is not your Cookie Cutter Tight End. He is elusive once he gets the ball as a runner.

He's not a tight end, Hes a running back, tight end, receiver.  We aren't talking about Kyle Pitts or Sam LaPorta.  We are talking about the GOAT, the greatest tight end in college football history.  The fact that people are even talking about him being in the range of 18 is insanity to me

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 08:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: He's not a tight end, Hes a running back, tight end, receiver.  We aren't talking about Kyle Pitts or Sam LaPorta.  We are talking about the GOAT, the greatest tight end in college football history.  The fact that people are even talking about him being in the range of 18 is insanity to me

And Kyle Pitts still went 4th overall.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 08:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: He's not a tight end, Hes a running back, tight end, receiver.  We aren't talking about Kyle Pitts or Sam LaPorta.  We are talking about the GOAT, the greatest tight end in college football history.  The fact that people are even talking about him being in the range of 18 is insanity to me

He is another hyped up college football player.  Nobody knows how he will perform in the NFL.  The NFL's history is filled with guys that didnt live up to their hype. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 07:55 PM)Okeana Wrote: im with you on Thomas, I think he's overrated because of the QB and WR1 he played with.  I have both Ladd and Mitchell higher than him.  

I thought the same about Justin Jefferson.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 08:11 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yet when given the choice at Texas, they played him there over sweat and he performed better.  Go figure

Murphy/Sweat is interesting, because while Murphy played a higher number of snaps at NT than Sweat, Sweat actually played more snaps overall.  We know both guys were subbed heavily, and Murphy was subbed so much that there have to be big questions as to whether he can hold up to double teams against NFL power for any extended period.  How will either do when they are not consistently kept extremely fresh? 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 09:39 AM)Whatever Wrote: I thought the same about Justin Jefferson.  

I did as well, I don't think Brian Thomas Jr is near the route runner in the middle that JJ is, but as far as speed on the outside with size he 
is very dangerous and that is just what we need on the Bengals as Chase is the one threat we have that does this except Chase doesn't have
the size Thomas Jr has. Tee is not a speedster, he relies on his size for the most part and is slow in and out of his breaks which is why he is
not a #1 WR like some on here claim.

Thomas could be a #1 with his quick feet, speed along with his size.

(04-16-2024, 09:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: Murphy/Sweat is interesting, because while Murphy played a higher number of snaps at NT than Sweat, Sweat actually played more snaps overall.  We know both guys were subbed heavily, and Murphy was subbed so much that there have to be big questions as to whether he can hold up to double teams against NFL power for any extended period.  How will either do when they are not consistently kept extremely fresh? 

Well, when I watch the film, Murphy handled double teams just fine. Dude is insanely strong. You are correct on the snaps, but I think that 
is because Murphy expels such energy when he is out there. Tons of fight and leaves it all on the field, I think he would fit right in with our 
good players on the DL in Hendrickson, BJ Hill, Hubbard and Rankins.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 09:39 AM)Whatever Wrote: I thought the same about Justin Jefferson.  

Strange, I didn't because imo Jefferson was better than Chase on that team.

Reply/Quote