Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Game
(09-26-2023, 09:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 1st GREAT win!

It's just interesting to me that with an injured QB that they go out there and have him throw it 50+ times. (49 throws and 2 sacks).

And we ran it 23 times. (Mixon had his worst ypc this game as he was above 4 ypc in his previous games.)

It kind of shows why we struggle vs the AFC North, but do well against other teams. The Rams, outside of Donald...have a mediocre pass rush. The teams in the AFC North all have great pass rushes, so if you drop back 50 times...you're going to get sacked more than twice.

But, there will be games where we need to be balanced. Why do you think we don't run more?

The division we’ve won twice in a row? The division that we can become a third straight champ for the first time in like 50 years? Also traditionally one of the toughest NFL divisions? All the teams struggle in this division somewhere. But alas I think that with Joe hurt you are right they should be running the ball more. But a short quick passing game is about the same and with Joe’s usually accuracy it’s about the same.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They drafted a RB just this year, he currently is a rookie.  Mellow

I don't think that the Bengals drafted 5th rounder Chase Brown with the idea of Brown being Mixon's long term replacement.

I would use the 2024 Draft to bring in a more Bona fide prospect (1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder) 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: I don't think that the Bengals drafted 5th rounder Chase Brown with the idea of Brown being Mixon's long term replacement.

I would use the 2024 Draft to bring in a more Bona fide prospect (1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder) 

Really, has anyone from the team been quoted as saying that?  He gained nearly 1,900 yards from scrimmage for Illinois last year.  I would absolutely say that the team has thoughts of him becoming the featured back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: I don't think that the Bengals drafted 5th rounder Chase Brown with the idea of Brown being Mixon's long term replacement.

Somewhat related, but my boy Roschon Johnson (someone I touted a lot in draft season) is rocking 146 yards from scrimmage through 3 games.
Doing this while competing with Herbert and Foreman for RB snaps.
Not lighting it up like Bijan Robinson but still rather solid for being in a RBBC.

He's someone I wanted in Rd 4 but he went too early.

As for your post about someone in Rds 1-3 next year, I am not sure Bengals will have that luxury if they need to worry about RT, DT, TE and/or WR.
You only get so many early round picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really, has anyone from the team been quoted as saying that?  He gained nearly 1,900 yards from scrimmage for Illinois last year.  I would absolutely say that the team has thoughts of him becoming the featured back.

I said "I don't think that"

Pay attention.

It would likely be like most other 5th round picks.

In the 5th round, you find a player at a position with traits you like and Draft them with hopes that you can hit on the pick.

When the Team is more serious about the need to Nail Down a long term replacement for Mixon they will likely use a higher round 

Draft pick to do so if they go the rookie route.
Reply/Quote

Who knows what will be a priority in the ‘24 draft. But I’d expect the way Mixon is playing they’ll wait until ‘25 to replace him. They may need to replace Higgins or Reader.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 01:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Somewhat related, but my boy Roschon Johnson (someone I touted a lot in draft season) is rocking 146 yards from scrimmage through 3 games.
Doing this while competing with Herbert and Foreman for RB snaps.
Not lighting it up like Bijan Robinson but still rather solid for being in a RBBC.

He's someone I wanted in Rd 4 but he went too early.

As for your post about someone in Rds 1-3 next year, I am not sure Bengals will have that luxury if they need to worry about RT, DT, TE and/or WR.
You only get so many early round picks.

Maybe they can ride with Mixon again in 2024.  Maybe Chase Brown excels and proves to be a HIT on a 5th round pick.

As for the 2024 Draft:  It may come down to just how good the RB is that is available.

If there is a Breece Hall or Bijan Robinson caliber back available in round one or two then he may be hard to pass up.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 01:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: Maybe they can ride with Mixon again in 2024.  Maybe Chase Brown excels and proves to be a HIT on a 5th round pick.

As for the 2024 Draft:  It may come down to just how good the RB is that is available.

If there is a Breece Hall or Bijan Robinson caliber back available in round one or two then he may be hard to pass up.

Yea possibly.
But if you're gonna spend a 1st rounder on a RB, they need to be a proven stud.
But for me, I think any 1st rounder has to have proven productivity and ability coming in.

FA might help reduce/remove some of the needs, but right now, I think it makes sense to keep Mixon one more year and take an early RB in 2025 based on how Chase Brown comes along this and next season. Mixon's cap hit was greatly reduced, only taking up $8.5 mill next year instead of $12+ mill.

I have a strong gut feeling RT will be the 1st round pick unless Higgins leaves (or is tagged).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea possibly.
But if you're gonna spend a 1st rounder on a RB, they need to be a proven stud.
But for me, I think any 1st rounder has to have proven productivity and ability coming in.

FA might help reduce/remove some of the needs, but right now, I think it makes sense to keep Mixon one more year and take an early RB in 2025 based on how Chase Brown comes along this and next season. Mixon's cap hit was greatly reduced, only taking up $8.5 mill next year instead of $12+ mill.

I have a strong gut feeling RT will be the 1st round pick unless Higgins leaves (or is tagged).

Breece Hall was a 2nd rounder, so it may not have to be a 1st.

Having Mixon signed does reduce the need for a RB in the 2024 Draft (as long as Mixon remains productive as he ages/stays healthy)

If Chase Brown proves that he is a strong #2 back then it will be easier for the Bengals to roll with Mixon again in 2024 and

not worry about long term replacement until say 2025. Chase Brown may even show as a #1 caliber back on the field and he will

have some time to show what he can do.

I agree that there are other needs but that may not be the deciding factor.

Many thought they needed a Tight End last Draft with a number of good ones available early and they took a defensive end to develop.

It may come down to the individual player they like. Potential over need to a degree.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:23 PM)depthchart Wrote: Breece Hall was a 2nd rounder, so it may not have to be a 1st.

Having Mixon signed does reduce the need for a RB in the 2024 Draft (as long as Mixon remains productive as he ages/stays healthy)

If Chase Brown proves that he is a strong #2 back then it will be easier for the Bengals to roll with Mixon again in 2024 and

not worry about long term replacement until say 2025. Chase Brown may even show as a #1 caliber back on the field and he will

have some time to show what he can do.

I agree that there are other needs but that may not be the deciding factor.

Many thought they needed a Tight End last Draft with a number of good ones available early and they took a defensive end to develop.

It may come down to the individual player they like. Potential over need to a degree.

Breece Hall was 36th overall, so just barely a 2nd rounder.

We all expect Bengals to be picking in the back half of the draft, even if they don't make the playoffs this year.
That is, of course, unless Burrow misses a lot of time.

I like Trey Benson as a Day 2 RB if the Bengals choose to go that route this coming draft.
But I also don't like the idea of having a RB need to sit for a year due to lack of development.
Plenty of RBs come in immediately as rookies and play well.
Bengals need to get a RB who can do that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The division we’ve won twice in a row? The division that we can become a third straight champ for the first time in like 50 years? Also traditionally one of the toughest NFL divisions? All the teams struggle in this division somewhere. But alas I think that with Joe hurt you are right they should be running the ball more. But a short quick passing game is about the same and with Joe’s usually accuracy it’s about the same.

Team with the best record wins the division...but we don't do particularly well against any of the 3 teams under Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really, has anyone from the team been quoted as saying that?  He gained nearly 1,900 yards from scrimmage for Illinois last year.  I would absolutely say that the team has thoughts of him becoming the featured back.

I think late round RB's are like lotto tickets too. Maybe he pans out?
Reply/Quote
They have to get more creative with their run game. They dabbled with pistol yesterday. I could see them leaning more into that to change up the run game without make Burrow move too much,
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: He close to 5 YPC at one point according to a screen graphic. What did he wind up with?

3.4 YPC + 65 yards (rushing)
Both are less than I had guessed watching the game.

He looked good
Reply/Quote
one dimensional team. If Joe is having a rough day, or is injured, it's gonna be ugly

this team cannot figure out how to have a good running game for some reason

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 03:09 PM)Whacked Wrote: 3.4 YPC + 65 yards (rushing)
Both are less than I had guessed watching the game.

He looked good

There were a handful of runs at the end to run out the clock that went nowhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Team with the best record wins the division...but we don't do particularly well against any of the 3 teams under Taylor.

That’s correct and Taylor has a chance to make a third straight AFC Championship and win a division title something that Tomlin nor Harbaugh have done. If he does that he neuters a ton of discussions for a very long time.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 03:11 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: one dimensional team. If Joe is having a rough day, or is injured, it's gonna be ugly

this team cannot figure out how to have a good running game for some reason

Agreed. Spot on.

Run game —Can’t blame it on the OL anymore.
They actually looked ok last night.

(09-26-2023, 03:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There were a handful of runs at the end to run out the clock that went nowhere.

Makes sense but 65? Seemed/felt much higher (90+)
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 03:48 PM)Whacked Wrote: Agreed. Spot on.

Run game —Can’t blame it on the OL anymore.
They actually looked ok last night.

Makes sense but 65? Seemed/felt much higher (90+)

Yeah, it was because of his efficiency in the first three quarters that it feels like more. He also had a couple of chunk runs that were nice. Mixon averaged 4.6 YPC on 12 runs through the first three quarters. In the fourth quarter, he averaged 1.28 on seven runs. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 03:35 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s correct and Taylor has a chance to make a third straight AFC Championship and win a division title something that Tomlin nor Harbaugh have done. If he does that he neuters a ton of discussions for a very long time.

My statement was that we don't match up well against the AFC North. We're 0-2 against them this year so far.
Reply/Quote