Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Game
(09-26-2023, 03:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, it was because of his efficiency in the first three quarters that it feels like more. He also had a couple of chunk runs that were nice. Mixon averaged 4.6 YPC on 12 runs through the first three quarters. In the fourth quarter, he averaged 1.28 on seven runs. 

I think he's running a little better than his stats show. The 'eye test' suggests to me we're doing a little better with the run game than last year, but not by a ton. Certainly not enough to carry games when Joe can't throw. And that's the issue here. We'd have a lot more leeway with Burrow's calf if we had a run game to fall on. Instead, it's moreorless hope the defence is shutdown or we will need more from the passing game. Our run game will scare absolutely nobody in pregame preparations.

As for comparisons to the AFC North... well we're currently not a 'typically' AFC North team. Defensively, yes we're physical and tough to move the ball on when we're on it. We can trudge good offences down to 24 points or less. Offensively... we're a pass heavy team who don't win in the trenches against the DL (generally) and can't run the ball. So I don't think we stack up so great against the AFC North on paper in direct competition, but I'd also say I don't think any of the other AFC North teams are as 'serious' Super Bowl contenders as we are. The Ravens might get hot and do so, but I don't think they're as big a threat to the Chiefs/Bills as we are. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My statement was that we don't match up well against the AFC North. We're 0-2 against them this year so far.

Yep was looking at our head to head in the division in ‘21 & ‘22. Obviously some qualifiers involved but not unreasonable . Those are Burrow healthy ( Chase wasn’t a few and missed but counted) and didn’t dive into Lamar’s health and threw out the Browns game that didn’t matter that none of the starters played and the 2 this year that Burrow was also not healthy we are 8-4. So let’s count this year then it’s 8-6. Throw in the 2 AFC championship games made I’d say Taylor has done just fine.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I can’t stand Mixon, sorry guys never liked the guy but I have to say, he is our most consistent offensive player so far this year. That’s scary. Mixon just never seems explosive. Either the first guy brings him down or if he gets past the first wave he will run right at the defenders. Good to wear them down but damn we need some chunk runs from time to time. When was his last run over 40 yards?
Reply/Quote