Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Mixon Is The Key To Victory!
Mixon had 22 carries for 157 yards and four touchdowns, and that was with not even playing in the fourth quarter!

I've been preaching all along that running Mixon is the key to victory, and I think yesterday proved it, and I hope Zac took notice, because I know Burow did, saying we run the ball like that, not a team in the league that can beat us.

I realize that the Panthers don't have the best run defense in the league, but just giving Mixon the ball with a little space and letting him find his spots seemed to be working.

I've been saying that we need to give Mixon the ball with Burrow under center because I think Mixon runs better downhill, but I can only remember one time that we gave Mixon the ball with Burrow under center (besides maybe near the goal line), and Mixon was carving up their defense! I miscalculated that their linebackers still need to commit to the run even if we're not giving the ball running straight north/south from the snap.

Running the ball will also take pressure off Burrow since defenses won't be able to just pin their ears back and go after Burrow, which giving up a hundred sacks already shows that that's obviously a big problem.

Having Chase back eventually will also make our run game that much better because a safety has to stay back to double him.

Like I said in the other Mixon thread................

LET THE BIG DOG EAT!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 11:58 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been saying that we need to give Mixon the ball with Burrow under center because I think Mixon runs better downhill, but I can only remember one time that we gave Mixon the ball with Burrow under center (besides maybe near the goal line), and Mixon was carving up their defense! I miscalculated that their linebackers still need to commit to the run even if we're not giving the ball running straight north/south from the snap.

Mixon had 14 carries under center and eight from shotgun yesterday. He averaged 6.1 yards per carry under center and 8.4 from shotgun. I don't think Mixon is the key to success, but I really do hope he can find consistent success going forward. He obviously isn't going to play like that often, but being able to provide something to the offense would be nice, especially while Chase is out. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:04 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon had 14 carries under center and eight from shotgun yesterday. He averaged 6.1 yards per carry under center and 8.4 from shotgun. I don't think Mixon is the key to success, but I really do hope he can find consistent success going forward. He obviously isn't going to play like that often, but being able to provide something to the offense would be nice, especially while Chase is out. 

The OL was displaying great precision in execution and delivering crushing blocks like their asses were on fire.  Oh, and Joe Mixon finally decided to show up for work one day..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe there is only so much NFL magic to go around...Mixon turns into a HOFer the same day the magic runs out on PJ Walker's NFL career and he turns back into the XFL QB he used to be.
Reply/Quote
Mixon looked like he was running harder and more decisively. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on some plays. Really, the jet sweeps looked like that too…like the play had already gained yardage before it could even be diagnosed. Not sure that can happen every week, but it looked well planned. Also plenty of Stanley Morgan blocks on the edge to spring 5 yard gains to 8-12 yards
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:04 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon had 14 carries under center and eight from shotgun yesterday. He averaged 6.1 yards per carry under center and 8.4 from shotgun. I don't think Mixon is the key to success, but I really do hope he can find consistent success going forward. He obviously isn't going to play like that often, but being able to provide something to the offense would be nice, especially while Chase is out. 
I didn't realize he carried the ball that many times from under center or that effectively!

I'll have to watch the game agani!

I think Mixon is the key to success because, like Burrow said, how can any team beat us when they have to focus on stopping the run but also try to keep defenders back to stop Burrow from picking them apart?
(11-07-2022, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The OL was displaying great precision in execution and delivering crushing blocks like their asses were on fire.  Oh, and Joe Mixon finally decided to show up for work one day..

I was impressed with the line play and also impressed with some of the blocking schemes that Pollack drew up. I've said all along that the line doesn't need to be too good but just need to get their heads on people and Mixon can make things happen, which he showed yesterday.

He bounced a few runs to the outside, was patient and picked his spots on a run runs, and a few runs he just had to man-up and push the pile!
Reply/Quote
Maybe Mixon has been tentative because there’s been no room to run. He’s bad about that but the blocking hasn’t been good. It’s been awful. Maybe they came together but the OL hasn’t come close to this previously
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I think showing to have at least the ability to run the ball is the key to success.

Should we pound the rock 30 plus times a game? No. Do we need to show we CAN run the ball to take advantage and get teams out of these two high shells? Yes.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The key to success is the offensive line. If they play at a high level, the offense will play at a higher level because Burrow should be more effective. Mixon shedding tackles and making good cuts is a part of that.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 01:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think showing to have at least the ability to run the ball is the key to success.

Should we pound the rock 30 plus times a game? No. Do we need to show we CAN run the ball to take advantage and get teams out of these two high shells? Yes.

Yes, that is what many of us have been pounding the table for, for much of the season.  Let's just hope that the precision execution that we witnessed yesterday becomes the regular, rather than just an occasional pleasant surprise.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The OL was displaying great precision in execution and delivering crushing blocks like their asses were on fire.  Oh, and Joe Mixon finally decided to show up for work one day..

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Mixon ran much more decisively and even looked faster yesterday and hope this Joe is what Bengals get the rest of the season.

But overlooked is how well the O-line played and Zac overriding Joe's preference to always be in the shotgun by mixing it up with runs out of both and keeping the defense guessing. 

Liked the change of pace in the passing game with Burrow looking like Brady in his prime by getting the ball out quickly and on target as well. 

Heck the ST's looked awesome as well except we need Evan to regain his confidence. 

But yes, everybody looked like different players yesterday including Mixon, nice to see.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Maybe Mixon has been tentative because there’s been no room to run. He’s bad about that but the blocking hasn’t been good. It’s been awful. Maybe they came together but the OL hasn’t come close to this previously

He was hitting holes like he had something to prove.  I haven't seen him playing that hard in quite some time.  I wonder if someone called him out on effort?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 11:58 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon had 22 carries for 157 yards and four touchdowns, and that was with not even playing in the fourth quarter!

I've been preaching all along that running Mixon is the key to victory, and I think yesterday proved it, and I hope Zac took notice, because I know Burow did, saying we run the ball like that, not a team in the league that can beat us.

I realize that the Panthers don't have the best run defense in the league, but just giving Mixon the ball with a little space and letting him find his spots seemed to be working.

I've been saying that we need to give Mixon the ball with Burrow under center because I think Mixon runs better downhill, but I can only remember one time that we gave Mixon the ball with Burrow under center (besides maybe near the goal line), and Mixon was carving up their defense! I miscalculated that their linebackers still need to commit to the run even if we're not giving the ball running straight north/south from the snap.

Running the ball will also take pressure off Burrow since defenses won't be able to just pin their ears back and go after Burrow, which giving up a hundred sacks already shows that that's obviously a big problem.

Having Chase back eventually will also make our run game that much better because a safety has to stay back to double him.

LET THE BIG DOG EAT!

Well said, Brad.

It is definitely exciting given that Carolina is actually (statistically) a really good run defense team.  Frustrating as hell they couldn't get that together the previous week against the Browns, but I am very encouraged with how the line blocked and how both RBs were punishing tacklers.  That looked like an angry Mixon and Perine and I will take that.

Burrow's quote is eerily similar to the one last year he said on the sidelines before the first Baltimore game.  He said something to the effect of "If we can win our division, we can win the whole thing...".  And I remember seeing Higgins nodding like "Yeah, you're probably right".  Well, if they can have that kind of run blocking and rushing attack, along with getting Chase back, they just might go on another late season run.

Sure, I wish they had Chido, but I thought CTB stepped up and played really well.  He got downgraded on PFF for a penalty that he didn't need to commit (even though it was really ticky-tack) and the amazing TD grab by Marshall.  He was in place to defend it and tried to rip it out, but the bigger Marshall boxed him out and made the play.  That happens.  He was really solid in run defense, and if you think how that will matter down the stretch playing the Browns again, the steelers, the ratbirds, as well as teams like Tennessee and the Bucs, that could be a nice boost.  

Run defense is often overlooked for a CB, but CTB is a very tough and solid tackler.  He will need to be against the steelers.  
Reply/Quote
Heck if the Bengals did not need to get healthy ? Would rather to keep playing and ride this momentum for a few more games.

Yet we need to get healthy and have no choice in the matter. Hopefully they're just as hungry and much more healthier when they emerge from the Bye.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Maybe Mixon has been tentative because there’s been no room to run. He’s bad about that but the blocking hasn’t been good. It’s been awful. Maybe they came together but the OL hasn’t come close to this previously

True, and he didn't get to run the unbalanced line at the end of the Jets game like Perine did.  I was glad to see some of that, and as I alluded to in another post, they actually threw the ball once from the unbalanced line.  Great trend breaker.  

But you are correct.  It was a running GAME and not just a couple plays to give Joe a carry here and there.  They had purpose and punched Carolina in the mouth.  I would LOVE to see that kind of tenacity against pitt in two weeks on National TV. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 11:58 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon had 22 carries for 157 yards and four touchdowns, and that was with not even playing in the fourth quarter!

LET THE BIG DOG EAT!

Panthers have the 28th ranked rushing defense.
They have allowed over 100 rushing yards in all but 2 games this season. Over 150 yards on the ground 4 times including the Bengals game.
Mixon did rush for 6.95 YPC, but that's been the highest of the season by over 1 YPC. He's rushed for under 4.0 in all but 3 games including yesterday's game.

So did Mixon run great? Absolutely.
But this is probably going to be the high mark this season, and he'll come back to earth (3.5-4.0) for most of the remaining games.

Not trying to be a hater, just realistic.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 01:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He was hitting holes like he had something to prove.  I haven't seen him playing that hard in quite some time.  I wonder if someone called him out on effort?

They had Kyle Clasky on the radio (Bengals old RB coach and the guy who drafted Mixon). He said that if a RB isn't getting carries, they can get frustrated and down on themselves...which can result to almost a subliminal lack of effort. Wonder if this is what was going on with Joe. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:18 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: Mixon looked like he was running harder and more decisively.  He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on some plays.  Really, the jet sweeps looked like that too…like the play had already gained yardage before it could even be diagnosed.  Not sure that can happen every week, but it looked well planned.  Also plenty of Stanley Morgan blocks on the edge to spring 5 yard gains to 8-12 yards

Absolutely. The "key" over the past weeks was NOT getting what seemed like a lazy, apathetic, selfish RB who was not patient and lacked vision in hitting the hole more carries. I'd also guess any player that read enough hate mail about them and how washed up they are, etc. might take a hard look in the mirror and reflect. I also liked the fact that they actually got Perrine touches early in the game. Totally different runner than Mixon.

Every guy on that OL and skill player was also getting a helmet on a defender and a few guys multiple helmets at the second level, 5-10 yards downfield.
Reply/Quote
If Mixon is this good we could trade Burrow and Chase for like 17 first round picks and then just build our entire franchise around hanging the ball to him.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 01:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Panthers have the 28th ranked rushing defense.
They have allowed over 100 rushing yards in all but 2 games this season. Over 150 yards on the ground 4 times including the Bengals game.
Mixon did rush for 6.95 YPC, but that's been the highest of the season by over 1 YPC. He's rushed for under 4.0 in all but 3 games including yesterday's game.

So did Mixon run great? Absolutely.
But this is probably going to be the high mark this season, and he'll come back to earth (3.5-4.0) for most of the remaining games.

Not trying to be a hater, just realistic.

According  to Paul Dehner the Panthers were #1 in run defense DOVA coming into the game. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote