Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running game/Joe Mixon, what's up?
(10-03-2022, 03:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: I said a week or two ago, what does Joe Mixon do above average? Vision, speed, strength, ability to break tackles, catch, pass protect....does he do any singular one of those things at an elite level? Maybe the argument is he does a couple slightly above average but at the end of the day I just don't think he is a large improvement over any other back in the league.

With great blocking he could be a good back. In reality, analytics tell us that most running success is a function of blocking. What separates great backs from average ones is how they can create for themselves. Joe Mixon can't create for himself and so at this point we are limited by the blocking he, or any back we put out there, gets.

I believe here's a lot of truth in that. But Mixon and Co. are what we have so other than the better blocking what can they improve? If anything
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:57 PM)higgy100 Wrote: I agree and said that he's trying to get 10 yards before he's even gotten 1 yard. I'm certainly not an OL coach/OC but I've seen a few photos of OL creating a hole and even getting to the 2nd level only to see Mixon not following and cutting inside or outside with nothing.

Call it frustration, lack of instincts, selfishness, etc. but it better improve and, imo, it's not taking the Dusty Baker approach with the Reds and letting Jonny Gomes fight thru a 2-48 streak. Get Perrine some carries as a change of tempo.change of pace early in the game.

I'm hoping for that very thing. 
Reply/Quote
Those that have said he is trying to hit a homerun to often I think are on to something. The biggest issue I see is he isn't hitting the line/hole quick enough. There is something there and he doesn't take it. Other times he is looking for a hole too soon when he should press the line and then look for an opening. There were a few times vs. Miami if he would have pressed the line and then let the D suck in he would have been able to bounce it out for a good chunk play. Instead he danced in the backfield looking back inside when nothing had yet developed because it was just too soon. So vision and patience while getting downhill and pressing that line.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is done. Average shelf life in the NFL for RB's is 3 or 4 years. Wish he could've stayed on longer, but he's done and it's overwhelmingly obvious. And blaming Burrow or anyone else for "bad handoffs" or not selling the play action fake is absolute BS.

He'll be gone next year, might sign with someone else next season and barely play. But he's done.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 04:23 PM)brian5562 Wrote: Those that have said he is trying to hit a homerun to often I think are on to something. The biggest issue I see is he isn't hitting the line/hole quick enough. There is something there and he doesn't take it. Other times he is looking for a hole too soon when he should press the line and then look for an opening. There were a few times vs. Miami if he would have pressed the line and then let the D suck in he would have been able to bounce it out for a good chunk play. Instead he danced in the backfield looking back inside when nothing had yet developed because it was just too soon. So vision and patience while getting downhill and pressing that line.

I definitely believe this is part of it on some plays. There's a hole but Joe seems to be thinking "that's only 4 yards" let me see what's to the right or left?

I dunno? perhaps he is just washed up?
Reply/Quote
The problem I see is Mixon's upper body is way out over his lower body so any contact at all makes him go straight to the ground. He has no balance. But he's always ran that way. How many times have you seen the turf monster take him down in open field with no one around him?  Now this year, besides poor balance, he also isn't hitting the open hole when it's there. I agree with an earlier poster. He's done and I don't see him regaining any prior form. 

Maybe giving Perine and Evans some of his carries will motivate him some. But honestly if watching Perine close the game out against the Jets didn't motivate him, nothing will
Reply/Quote
FO will have to decide to draft Robinson or someone else rounds 2-3 next draft and eat last year of Mixon's contact or keep him. I know he is valued in locker room and Taylor likes him.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Joe Mixon. Rubbing game.

Ima sit this one out. 

Joe rubbed one out? 

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Joe rubbed one out? 

He needs to stop this because not only will it affect his play but i hear could make  him blind. LMAO
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Basically two things need to happen:

1) Ditch the wide zone run scheme. Our OL (especially the new right side) are optimal at power running so do what you're good at.

2) Whoever is back there need to not dance and just hit the hole fast and hard - no nonsense. Allow one cut at maximum. Actually that is similar to coaching given another back who came into the league and danced too much until Mike Shanahan laid down the law of "one cut max then take off north and south" rule. That RB was Terrell Davis and that coaching caused his career to flourish.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: He needs to stop this because not only will it affect his play but i hear could make  him blind. LMAO

No wonder he's not hitting the hole.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Basically two things need to happen:

1) Ditch the wide zone run scheme. Our OL (especially the new right side) are optimal at power running so do what you're good at.

2) Whoever is back there need to not dance and just hit the hole fast and hard - no nonsense. Allow one cut at maximum. Actually that is similar to coaching given another back who came into the league and danced too much until Mike Shanahan laid down the law of "one cut max then take off north and south" rule. That RB was Terrell Davis and that coaching caused his career to flourish.

I'm thinking you may well be onto something here. Not sure the wide zone is working good for us? As well as the quit dancing and hit the hole.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No wonder he's not hitting the hole.

Holes? We don't need no stinking holes.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Joe rubbed one out? 

I think too many times. Prolly why his legs are so weak. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think too many times. Prolly why his legs are so weak. 

Makes sense. 

[Image: ScaryEquatorialJohndory-max-1mb.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Holes? We don't need no stinking holes.

Mellow

[Image: american-pie-gif-3.gif]

Reply/Quote
Joe approached Ted Karras to put together a meeting with the OL to discuss the running game. They had it last Wednesday. Will see if that meeting bears fruit this weekend.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Joe Mixon can't create for himself and so at this point we are limited by the blocking he, or any back we put out there, gets.

He used to be able to create because that is all he had with some really terrible lines.

I just think between his balance issues, looking for the HR, and not hitting the hole quick(if there is one)is his own undoing.

He's broken some from the past experiences and the lack of growth going forward.

If coaching can't fix him he's done unless the O-line can block at a much higher level.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think it’s a lot on Joe. Every other back I saw yesterday was head and shoulders above Joe. They don’t all have all world lines. Absolutely nobody runs for zero yards time after time. If he gets 4 yards it feels like he just broke one. It’s amazing the Bengals have any offense with close to zero run game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 05:56 PM)pally Wrote: Joe approached Ted Karras to put together a meeting with the OL to discuss the running game.   They had it last Wednesday.  Will see if that meeting bears fruit this weekend.

Lets hope

Something has got to change for the better for this team to really flourish, IMHO.
Reply/Quote