Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running game/Joe Mixon, what's up?
(10-04-2022, 11:39 AM)higgy100 Wrote: I assume you're talking about Perrine against the Jets? I did state last week that also one of the big reasons Perrine shined against the Jets is that they were also trying to strip the ball from him which is very common in this league when offenses are rather challenged and against the wall late in a game. Still, he ran hard, gained confidence and stays much lower to the ground than Mixon does (who runs straight up) and Perrine accelerates much faster into the hole. He's alot harder to find for the DL.

Yes, and absolutely agree. I mentioned the way he was getting behind his pads and just barreling into the hole last week as well. No hesitation. Unbalanced set or not, 5YPC when everyone in the building knows you're running is not too shabby. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 11:39 AM)higgy100 Wrote: I assume you're talking about Perrine against the Jets? I did state last week that also one of the big reasons Perrine shined against the Jets is that they were also trying to strip the ball from him which is very common in this league when offenses are rather challenged and against the wall late in a game. Still, he ran hard, gained confidence and stays much lower to the ground than Mixon does (who runs straight up) and Perrine accelerates much faster into the hole. He's alot harder to find for the DL.

I have to disagree with your statement about Mixon running straight up. Watch him as he approaches the line with the ball. He leans forward. I'm assuming it's because he's thinking he's going to run head on into someone and then be able to keep his balance but in reality he normal gets hit on his side and therefore has no balance and just falls over. The great running backs all had great balance and were able to overcome someone grabbing at their feet or they'd bounce off a tackler coming from their side. Mixon just falls down. No body control at all.

I may also be focusing more on short yardage and goal line with my statements.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 10:26 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, I heard exactly what you pointed out on the radio yesterday. It's epic bad. My hope is that this meeting and film session they had together bears a little fruit. He had all of the linemen, backs, and TEs over to his house to go over what he was expecting and what his blockers were expecting. This isn't the first time he's done this. Remember a few years ago when he was struggling, then turned on the rest of the year? He did the same thing then. Sure hope it works again.

Right, you just can't go through the motions. I watched a little of last night's game, and what stood out now that I've read this thread is how both teams do exactly what you say we should be doing. I noticed a lot of similar plays that we run, but with better execution at the point of attack, and better play fakes.

Right, for the most part when you watch other teams they're selling the fakes much better. I watched a lot of the Jets game, had it recorded. And there's so very many plays where the Jets LBers aren't even slightly faked out, period.

It's not helping our cause.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 11:46 AM)Mer Wrote: I have to disagree with your statement about Mixon running straight up. Watch him as he approaches the line with the ball. He leans forward. I'm assuming it's because he's thinking he's going to run head on into someone and then be able to keep his balance but in reality he normal gets hit on his side and therefore has no balance and just falls over. The great running backs all had great balance and were able to overcome someone grabbing at their feet or they'd bounce off a tackler coming from their side. Mixon just falls down. No body control at all.

I may also be focusing more on short yardage and goal line with my statements.

I believe you're onto something here. There's many plays where Joe Mixon's body posture is just well..bad. He looks like he's going to fall down before any D player even touches him.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 11:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe you're onto something here. There's many plays where Joe Mixon's body posture is just well..bad. He looks like he's going to fall down before any D player even touches him.

Sometimes, to me, it looks like he's not even trying to get any yards. Just looking for the first guy to hit him so he can go down. A couple of our goal-to-go downs looked really bad last game. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:03 PM)Mer Wrote: Sometimes, to me, it looks like he's not even trying to get any yards. Just looking for the first guy to hit him so he can go down. A couple of our goal-to-go downs looked really bad last game. 

He missed a huge hole down there Thursday night.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: He missed a huge hole down there Thursday night.

I'm not sure if this is the one you're talking about, but on one play all he had to do was side step left and he could have walked into the endzone. Instead he leaned forward, ran into the pile, and fell down as usual.

I should probably stop ripping on him so much. Hopefully he'll turn it around soon and I'll be right back on the bandwagon.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:03 PM)Mer Wrote: Sometimes, to me, it looks like he's not even trying to get any yards. Just looking for the first guy to hit him so he can go down. A couple of our goal-to-go downs looked really bad last game. 

It's hard to figure ? There's been so many times where he's the fireball getting everybody jacked up !! Seems full of piss and vinegar. But I agree there's many plays where his effort just seems lacking.

Is it just the "oh we just went to the SB so we're badasses and we're just going to skate on in to the next one" syndrome ?

Only thing I'm pretty certain of is if we have zero threat of running the ball. Can't convert 3rd and 1's, can't run inside the 10 in the redzone, ever. Our win total is going to take a hit.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:08 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm not sure if this is the one you're talking about, but on one play all he had to do was side step left and he could have walked into the endzone. Instead he leaned forward, ran into the pile, and fell down as usual.

I should probably stop ripping on him so much. Hopefully he'll turn it around soon and I'll be right back on the bandwagon.

I don't feel like you're ripping him, none of us are. We're just speculating on what the problem is, because this is not typical Joe Mixon. Although, I will admit I was pretty harsh after the Jets game.

No, there was another one, Collins and Cappa opened a huge hole to the right, and he crashed inside for no gain. I think it was the play before the Hurst TD. I remember the one you're talking about too.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2022, 03:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: I said a week or two ago, what does Joe Mixon do above average? Vision, speed, strength, ability to break tackles, catch, pass protect....does he do any singular one of those things at an elite level? Maybe the argument is he does a couple slightly above average but at the end of the day I just don't think he is a large improvement over any other back in the league.

With great blocking he could be a good back. In reality, analytics tell us that most running success is a function of blocking. What separates great backs from average ones is how they can create for themselves. Joe Mixon can't create for himself and so at this point we are limited by the blocking he, or any back we put out there, gets.

I remember back in like 2012 I was telling people Benjarvis Green Ellis was getting the yards he was blocked for and that was all and people were ok with that because he was averaging around 4.0 ypc. Running Backs can create on their own and we haven't seen that from Mixon this year he is getting what hes blocked for and that's about 2.5 ypc.

The running game has issues in all 3 areas right now Blocking, Scheme, and Running Back. And its not just the OL its the TE's too. Schematically issues are a big part of the poor run game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Mixon got a lot of people riled especially after the Miami game because they could see the holes and he ran right past them, or tripped a lot. He left at least one TD and at least 75 yards of rush on the field. This right after they saw Perine run behind the same line against the Jets for 5 YPC.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Mixon got a lot of people riled especially after the Miami game because they could see the holes and he ran right past them, or tripped a lot. He left at least one TD and at least 75 yards of rush on the field. This right after they saw Perine run behind the same line against the Jets for 5 YPC.

This estimate isn’t crazy either.

I watched every snap and maybe he didn’t leave 75 yards on the field but it was definitely at least 30-40 and he definitely left a TD on the field, in the red zone.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
On his second run, Chubb just ran for more yards and TDs than Mixon will all night.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 02:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: On his second run, Chubb just ran for more yards and TDs than Mixon will all night.

Saw that he's so good at making people miss.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 02:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: On his second run, Chubb just ran for more yards and TDs than Mixon will all night.

To provide more info, Chubb just had a 41 yard rush that ended in a TD.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of Chubb; I’m watching the Stains game and man Chubb is a BEAST

Ps. Averaging 9 yards/carry in 4th Q this year.

If we had Chubb, we would unbeatable.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 02:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Saw that he's so good at making people miss.

And running through people. The announcers also said he often does it against stacked boxes. 

The announcers also said that Cleveland had the most diverse running scheme in the NFL. So you have Chubb, and Hunt, and good schemes.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2022, 04:43 PM)Nepa Wrote: And running through people. The announcers also said he often does it against stacked boxes. 

The announcers also said that Cleveland had the most diverse running scheme in the NFL. So you have Chubb, and Hunt, and good schemes.

The chargers ran the ball well too, they're also using 2 RBs.
Reply/Quote
Chargers were worst rushing team. I assume Bengals were second worst so if we get the same old same old the Bengals would most likely drop to last. You can do that for $7 million less. Btw…Mixon gets 18 more inches after contact than I would.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote